How waterproof are dipstick seals?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There's one camp that says hosing down an engine to clean it is fine while others say this is a big no-no. My question is how impervious are oil dipsticks to water penetration, either from the road or from a hose? Dipsticks have a rubber grommet that plugs them into their respective tubes and the seal appears to be pretty good visually.

Driving in heavy rain blows water all over the engine compartment.
Just be careful with the hose around the coils, and near the dipstick(s).

I think the concern is more the modern electronics. As long as those parts are protected it should be okay.

Mine are relatively 'waterproof' given that the PCV systems are at least somewhat airtight.
I simply remove the dipsticks to -chemically- clean their respective handles.

I'm far more concerned with water intrusion of the electronics in my German and English cars.

Giving the underhood areas an occasional spritz of "No-Touch" tire dressing keeps things neat and tidy.
I'm just OCD enough to know someone might eyeball the hardware whilst checking the oil at our filling station.
Upside is none of them consume much between OCIs.
smile.gif

Why mess with it? Pros: cosmetic Cons; disaster. It's an engine. I wipe my engines and bays down with a paper towel now and then.

Modern dipstick seals are rather tight because of the low pressure needed for the PCV system.

Just don't direct a high pressure water stream at any orifice.

Last edited:
I jut did the wash on low setting. Have never washed the Focus engine bay. However, since a mechanic is going to be in there I might as well make it clean for him. I also washed the Jeeps engine bay after it went for a swim. On the focus I made sure to not spray the throttle body. On the Jeep I did the have to worry about the distributor since I have the distributorless ignition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back