Inverting air filter cover

Status
Not open for further replies.
A co-worker suggested that at a shop where he worked, some of the customers would invert the air filter cover (round air filter, carbed and TBI engines) to expose the air filter and increase air flow from all sides of the air filter rather than just the one side.

Has anyone here done that? What are the benefits? I have a 1991 K1500 with 4.3 TBI engine.

Thanks in advance.

My dad did it when he had his 93 GMC Sierra cause that's what everyone did with them. Don't know if it made a difference. Probably made it a little louder.

Basically turned the cleaner into an open element cleaner.And got the filter element a whole lot dirtier faster.

It changes the sound.

Before lid flip, sounds like 110hp.

After lid flip, sounds like 117hp.

Just like cars with Monster stickers on, they add about 7hp.

First did that on mom's '69 Buick LaSabre with its Quadrajet.
Sounded mean but inhaling hotter air likely negated potentially reduced restriction.

Had a TBI 5.7 LO5 w/ 215 SAE net horsepower (at the crank) in a ECSB.

Your 4.3 is going to be a turd regardless.
smile.gif

filter housings are for noise repression. The howl it brings may intice a placebo effect of HP-sorry....it's only 30% better than placebo.

And yet, so many people turn to K&N filters for increased air flow. Is better air flow not a good thing? When I read discussions regarding improved performance, one of the main things mentioned is increased air flow (?). Is the factory designed air intake system optimum?

It makes your big-cube GM boat with a Quadrajet sound like a hotrod when you push the skinny pedal.

I wonder if there is something to the airflow idea, since some cars came with dual-snorkel air cleaners. I can't imagine the 4.3 being starved for air, though. In SD, it would probably just let in more chaff, dust, moths, and grasshoppers. It might also make cold-weather warmup less efficient if there's a working heat pipe to the manifold.

Originally Posted By: otis24
A co-worker suggested that at a shop where he worked, some of the customers would invert the air filter cover (round air filter, carbed and TBI engines) to expose the air filter and increase air flow from all sides of the air filter rather than just the one side.

Has anyone here done that? What are the benefits? I have a 1991 K1500 with 4.3 TBI engine.

Thanks in advance.

Old trick from the 60's-70's. I did it on a 2bbl buick , and it did run better. Sounded way cool too.

And yet, so many people turn to K&N filters for increased air flow.

A K&N probably made a lot more sense on something like an old air cleaner system sitting upon a carb. It did have economic advantages there, for sure.

Air flow "in" is also restricted by the exhaust. Fuel injection era vehicles & OEM panel filters far exceed CFM requirements for a given displacementor and will do a better job of keeping out the dirt.

I don't get K&N filters and added flow. What added flow? The engine is basically an air pump, it's gonna suck in as much air as it needs. I've seen dyno's online where they take off the entire air cleaner assembly (0 restriction) and it didn't change any horsepower numbers.

Well, you got that right on the grasshoppers, dust, etc...
The heat pipe must work because the vehicle warms up fairly quickly in the mornings, thus far.

Originally Posted By: Rhymingmechanic
..In SD, it would probably just let in more chaff, dust, moths, and grasshoppers..

lol what are you trying to say?!

I love South Dakota (Ellsworth AFB) but don't live there.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Nick1994
..it's gonna suck in as much air as it needs..

Thus varying volumetric efficiency and differing outputs from similar (or identical) mechanical displacements.

The heat pipe must work because the vehicle warms up fairly quickly in the mornings, thus far.

The round air cleaners sealed against the filter, did not let any more dirt in than normal at least on the gm air cleaners anyway.

Originally Posted By: spasm3

The round air cleaners sealed against the filter, did not let any more dirt in than normal at least on the gm air cleaners anyway.

I meant more of those things could get into the housing and plug the filter sooner, not that they would get into the engine.

The most important part of the generic round air cleaner/housing on a carbed vehicle is actually the lid, and how it directs air into the airhorn. Holley had it figured out with their old rounded "bubbletop" air cleaner housing design which sadly is not around anymore. If you are determined to run the lid inverted....get a taller filter element if it will clear. Two plusses, more filter area, and more importantly it raises the top cover away from the carb top.

Never able to resist a dig at K&N, these are airflow killers..
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/knn-66-3040/overview/

Ditto on the Edelbrock version.....
http://www.amazon.com/Edelbrock-43660-Air-Cleaner/dp/B00JDX22LA_q6hoC2nLw_wcB

Just one of those things that are counterintuitive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back