'Wrist pin noise'? How serious an issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Miller88
It'll run until it doesn't any more.

Brilliant!!

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
Sure it isn't the piston tapping on the head? Thatz a rod bearing about to let go and it sounds like a lifter.

If the rod bearing was that bad it would sound like someone in there with a hammer. Wrist pin, rod/main knock doesn't come and go, its either there or it isn't.

really?
a rod that far gone is extremely loud.
i love owner or idiot diagnosed cars sold cheap.
it could be as simple as a small exhaust leak.
a friend got a 2005 f350 6.0 superduty for 900.00 with a diagnosis of worn out engine.
sure these have a terrible track record.but the hard starting,low power,ect was the FICM.
i rebuilt it for him and it runs fine now.i bet the guy that sold it is kicking himself now.
a geo metro convertible with no rust is a no brainer.even if the engine blows up later thats the start of a nice toy.those things dont exist in ohio!
Originally Posted By: kaboom10
Sure it isn't the piston tapping on the head? Thatz a rod bearing about to let go and it sounds like a lifter.

If u want to be closed minded about it go right ahead. I sure don't want u fixing my stuff. I sanded down the rod journal with wet/dry paper and put in an undersize bearing and drove it for a year. 350 sb chevy in my 59 corvette.

I'm not familiar with that car, but check/watch the belt. If its a serpentine belt, a bad tensioner can sound like rod knock/piston slap. I bought a saturn for $500 and all that was wrong was the bad belt tensioner, The previous owner had even had the brakes done all they way around, then sold it. Sound really travels in those small aluminum block engines.

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3745943/eljefino_special!#Post3745943

Oh and when I took the rod cap apart one shell was under the other. Looks like the deck clearance was taken up just so the piston slightly hit the head not making a clattering if both shells were in their respective positions. I had to get the car back and just run it up to around 100 mph and shut it off till I had to do it again. If u don't want to believe me thatz ur decision. Not every spun rod bearing is loud.

The noise could literally be anything inside the engine. If it doesn't sound that bad and you drove it hard for a decent while and it never worried you idk that I'd worry about it much. A simple valve adjustment wouldn't be a bad idea anyway. Run it till it's dead!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back