K 31 loading question

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to know if a K31 can be loaded without a stripper clip.
Is the magazine removable?
Are there replacement mags available and can one pre-load and change like any other mag fed rifle?
Thanks for your thoughts.

Yes, it can be reloaded without the stripper clip. And yes, the magazine is removable. You can load the magazine out of the rifle or leave it in and load through the open breech.

If you are thinking about buying one be aware that everything on the rifle is serial numbered, including the magazine, stock (on the inside), and the bolt. Look for an all numbers matching rifle.

geez, when I saw K31 I was thinking grass seed!
grin2.gif

And yes, there are replacement magazines available. Mine came with a replacement magazine, the only non numbers matching part on the rifle.

Grass seed? A Russian sub? You guys are a hoot!

Why the K31 Swiss 7.5x55 is the finest WWII era military rifle made. Made like a Swiss watch in fact. And with the match grade Swiss GP11 surplus ammunition it is highly accurate. Every able bodied male was issued one by the Swiss government to be kept in their home in case it was needed to defend the homeland.

Originally Posted By: jhs914

Why the K31 Swiss 7.5x55 is the finest WWII era military rifle made. Made like a Swiss watch in fact. And with the match grade Swiss GP11 surplus ammunition it is highly accurate. Every able bodied male was issued one by the Swiss government to be kept in their home in case it was needed to defend the homeland.

Beautifully made rifles, I held one but didn't fire it. I can only imagine the cost to build one like that today.

Well I think it would be about 1000 dollars today give or take a few hundred. How am I guessing this? Mitchells Mausers is bringing brand new Zastava made K98's to the market soon(not reworked ones in the past) and said they would sell for about 700 bucks.

Nice Rifle!!
Yeah there is K31 grass seed.
http://ky31fescue.com/General_Info.html
I do a lot of yard work...

Last edited:
Thank you, jhs914, for the itemized reply. You literally answered all of my questions.

Originally Posted By: 2cool
Thank you, jhs914, for the itemized reply. You literally answered all of my questions.
You're welcome.

1000 bucks.

I got one matching numbers made in 58 last week for way cheaper than that. Shoots flat with gp-11 to 200 yards and at 300 it's drop is at most 3".
I absolutely love this rifle. The old mosin nagant is a slug in comparison.
And I love the bolt. Neat idea.
My stock is beat up though. Getting gp-11 for 300 bucks a box of 4. Will buy 2 more so I've got 1400+ shells to reload.
These Swiss rifles are in great shape because they never had corrosive primer ammo.
7.5mm is 307 caliber so they say you can use 308 hunting loads.
And the bullet shape is almost identical to a 7mm win mag.
I want to make a stock,only because I can't get one shipped across the border. Gonna free float the barrel which should help the harmonic wave,not that these guns need any help.
Fantastic long range plinker with fantastic surplus ammo available.

Clevy, are you aware that GP-11 uses a Berdan primer? The GP-11 brass is fine stuff but reloading it is a pain. Berdan primers have recently become available again online but removing the old primers is a big bother. You can't punch them out with a die through the case mouth like a boxer primed round. It doesn't have one flash hole centered in the primer pocket. It has two that are offset. PRVI makes boxer primed rounds for the K31 that I have found to be accurate but for some reason they shoot about 2" to the left of GP11. They also make empty brass for reloading. And the .308 bullets work fine. I found that Berger 175 gr. VLD's were most similar to the GP-11 bullet.

The last GP-11 I bought was about $230 for a case of 480.

(edit) Whoops. I see you are Canada. Mine was U.S. dollars and I suppose there are restrictions on importing ammo into Canada from the U.S.

Last edited:
Not at all if you have the clearance and paperwork ready. Funny thing, gunpowder manufactured in Canada is shipped to USA, put into consumer sized packaging then shipped back. The product code at the border will indicate USA manufactured goods, no tariff, but must display product information in both Francais and Anglais if for retail distribution..
Rim fire ammunition is abundant. I see the new .17 WSM ammo, but yet to see a rifle in that caliber. Not that I would buy one anyway. I could reload .204 Ruger cheaper than the price of .17 RF Win-Mag ammunition.
Ever since Enemy at the Gate, the Mosin's became the rifle every gun nut just had to have. Useless for hunting with fmj ammo. Guys pull the bullets without spilling a drop and press in 150 gr sgk's. The 7.5 mm Swiss item might show up at a gun show where 450 pound fat guys arrive in their camo to trade suspect hunting tales, and brag of running shots with 50mph cross winds at 600 yards. Or was it a thousand?

Last edited:
Clevy, are you aware that GP-11 uses a Berdan primer? The GP-11 brass is fine stuff but reloading it is a pain. Berdan primers have recently become available again online but removing the old primers is a big bother. You can't punch them out with a die through the case mouth like a boxer primed round. It doesn't have one flash hole centered in the primer pocket. It has two that are offset. PRVI makes boxer primed rounds for the K31 that I have found to be accurate but for some reason they shoot about 2" to the left of GP11. They also make empty brass for reloading. And the .308 bullets work fine. I found that Berger 175 gr. VLD's were most similar to the GP-11 bullet.

The last GP-11 I bought was about $230 for a case of 480.

(edit) Whoops. I see you are Canada. Mine was U.S. dollars and I suppose there are restrictions on importing ammo into Canada from the U.S.

Yeah. I know about berdan. Getting them out is a total pain but I've found a Canadian supplier for them. Once I burn thru the 6000 I bought the brass will likely be shot.
From what I've read 284 or 280 brass works for these guns. I can't remember which one right now but I've got the thread bookmarked.
300 bucks here right now for gp-11 ammo. It's beautiful stuff. And cost less than reloading.
As far as modifying the case to accept regular large primers there is tons of vids on YouTube to do it.

I love this rifle. Got a scope mount this weekend. Sighted it in at 200 yards and shot 5 groups of 5 and at 200 yards there wasn't an inch from the 2 furthest.
I am in awe of these guns. Mine was made in 1958. The Swiss certainly know how to make a rifle. Scope mount is a clamp on. Rock solid piece. Have a 4-12 vortex scope on it. I took it off my dimension. Got a 6-24 for the dimension now.
Thompson center knows how to make a rifle. At 504 yards yesterday we were shooting at apples on hay bails and I went 5 for 5.

I have a real knack for this shooting stuff. I'm reloading now. Shot those apples with rotumbo and a 139 grain hornady ballistic tip round.
That round shoots flat,real flat. I just lifted On the scope to midway on between the crosshairs in between the center and first line and all we saw was most.
Going to buy a 243 barrel and bolt next.
The k-31 is a fun shooter for old military stuff but my tc dimension is a tack driven unlike anything I've every had the pleasure of using.
And wasn't very expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back