02 Honda Civic

Status
Not open for further replies.
Changed jobs and am now working in the field. I got a 02 Honda Civic with 176k in a horse trade for a work beater because I am putting a lot of miles on. Car takes 5w20, I have pretty good stock of 5w30. I am going to ask a newbie question because I dont know a lot about Hondas. Should I just run the 5w30 all the time or just run 5w20 for the winter and 5w30 for the summer or just forget about 5w30 and run 5w20 all the time? Thanks

You can use 5w20 all the time, which is what I'd normally do, but you can safely use your remaining stock of 5w30 with no issues.

Originally Posted By: Ga129
I don't see any issue running the 5w30, but others may have different opinions. Does it have the 1.7L or the 2.0 and does it have VTEC?
It has the 1.7

Just use up the 5w-30 in the summer. Run the 5w-20 in the winter and when you use up the 5w-30 summer oil then run 5w-20 all the time.

Don't forget to take care of the rest of the fluids, tires and other stuff.

Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
Just use up the 5w-30 in the summer. Run the 5w-20 in the winter and when you use up the 5w-30 summer oil then run 5w-20 all the time.

Don't forget to take care of the rest of the fluids, tires and other stuff.

OP, if you are really worried about it just do this. Your stash still gets used up and you can sleep in peace at night.
wink.gif

Despite me not having much qualifying credentials in the category of non-domestic/import vehicles...

I disagree with what everyone has said so far.

I say, run the 5w-30 year round until your stash is gone. Then, if you want to run 5w-20, fine. But let me put into perspective this:

I've run many different grades of oil in my truck, and never at all was there a difference in performance or gas mileage.

I've run: 0w-20, 5w-20, 5w-30, and 10w-40 in my truck. All of them performed the same, and there wasn't any noticeable increase or decrease in mpg's whatsoever.

Run your 5w-30 stash, and sleep in peace at night. There's nothing to worry about.

~ Triton

You will get a half million miles on 5w20 oil. But use 5w30 if you feel its better due to the higher mileage... which its really not for that engine.

That D17 engine is easy on oil.

Run your stash of 5W-30 and when you are all out, buy some more 5W-30.

Thats the recommended oil for that car in Oz.

I have a 2005 Civic with the same engine. I run 5W20 in the winter and 5W30 in the summer BUT that is because that is what is in my stash. If I was in your situation I would just use up your 5W30.

I run my dad's 7th gen civic engine on either 5W20 or 5W30, or whatever I have on hand.

Engine has over 180k miles now (t-belt changed once), still going strong, does not burn oil, pass local emissions testing,etc.

Q.

Mr Nice, its not that it makes me feel better..... I was just asking because I dont have a lot knowledge on Hondas.

Last edited by a moderator:
Originally Posted By: Chris Meutsch
I ran my 01 Civic on 5w20 for 227k. Sold it running perfectly. A little consumption over 10k runs.
That sounds good, thanks.

Originally Posted By: Quest
I run my dad's 7th gen civic engine on either 5W20 or 5W30, or whatever I have on hand.

Engine has over 180k miles now (t-belt changed once), still going strong, does not burn oil, pass local emissions testing,etc.

Q.
Sounds like a good unit. Thanks

I personally would run your stash if you have a lot, and no other place to use it. The car is already fairly old, just use the 5w30. Of course that is just my .02.

Originally Posted By: SLCraig
I personally would run your stash if you have a lot, and no other place to use it. The car is already fairly old, just use the 5w30. Of course that is just my .02.
That's what I am going to do. I just wanted to know if there was a obvious reason not to.

Well Ive found that the timing belt was done in the last 50k by my brother. Also it has a slight leak. I will have to figure out where thats coming from. It was my sisters car so I am pretty sure she ignored some things. Also my dad changed the oil about 1,000 miles ago with Farm and Fleet 5w20 and a OCOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back