Muffler Bolt Size

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm replacing the muffler on my 2002 4Runner with a direct fit replacement. There is no way I will be able to use the old nuts and bolts. And after I tear them all to pieces in my removal process, there is no way I will be able to identify them.

Do any of you know the correct size bolts for the muffler exhaust flanges or have a great suggestion?

Measure the diameter of the holes in the flanges on the new one and off to Hagar's Dustbin or like big box. Stainless would be nice. Be sure to get them long enough. Obviously you want a diameter which will fit through the hole easily.

Do you even know if they're bolts or studs?

Exhaust is occasionally SAE even on otherwise metric cars.

Toyota doesn't use studs, generally, on center pipe to muffler flanges. There's also a gasket needed. Rock Auto has diagrams of the exhaust system parts which show the parts and the gaskets, but not the bolts. Indy shops just go to their hardware boxes and pick something that fits. The big metal gaskets should not see excessive clamping force or the flanges will bend making sealing difficult.

Had a Japanese car that the converter flange was threaded....it was extra-fine metric.

Yeah, I got both the gaskets and looked over several diagrams but nothing showed me the bolts. HerrStig, I'm gonna go with your suggestion. Thanks!

Gebo, what's the engine size on that 4Runner ? I'll do some digging if I get bored enough.
smile.gif

Well, I found out your exhaust manifold flange studs are M10-1.25 x 40mm.

Could that be a clue ? We shall see. Back to my search.
smile.gif

Some more info:

If you know the hex size, that'll tell you the bolt diameter size.

10mm hex = M6-1.0
12mm hex = M8-1.25
14mm hex = M10-1.25

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Some more info:

If you know the hex size, that'll tell you the bolt diameter size.

10mm hex = M6-1.0
12mm hex = M8-1.25
14mm hex = M10-1.25

Thank You very very much. I wonder why I didn't use that line of reasoning? At least I was smart enough to ask you
grin.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back