Best car wash soaps that wont strip wax?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use Meguiar's Gold Class soap on the paint, but Murphy's oil soap on the wheels. I've heard of people using Murphy's on the paint too! I am thinking of trying it when I run out of the Meguiar's.

Duragloss 902 ..2300 at amazon .. By brother has used it exclusively on his Acura MDX for 5 years and has not waxed it once..and you cant tell ..water still beads and paint is in perfect shape

Depending your budget Armor All Ultra Shine Wash and Wax is great for the price. Won't strip the wax, budget friendly, and leaves a nice shine.
I subscribe to this guys youtube channel. Though I don't agree with his preference of Japanese vehicles or what he had to say on the Armor All Ultra Shine Wash and Wax, he has some pretty good stuff and this video should help you out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SG8gK1VEc4

Last edited:
Chemical Guys Citrus Wash & Gloss. Just be careful with the dilution ratio. Or you could use Chemical Guys Mr. Pink.

And most importantly, make sure you use the two-bucket method to wash your vehicles (which actually requires a third bucket for wheels and tires and grit guards in each bucket):

Meguiars Gold Class is awesome.

I was so impressed with it, I wanted to leave a jug at my parents' house for their vehicles and when I am there. I fell sadly to the devil of temptation and bought their "deep crystal" because it was on sale. No where near as good. No where. Get the Gold Class. Use it on top of a good wax job and it will not strip it, and it has carnuba in it to feed the wax job (kinda like flouride in toothpaste - rebuilds the existing protective layer).

Murphy's oil soap: [censored] no on paint. It will strip off wax. I know the stuff well, have used it on floors for years, wood, etc. It will solubilize waxes and take them off. It also leaves a protective residue behind - but very uneven with short-chain polymers. I can see where this could be good on cast alloy wheels, but not on highly finished alloy surfaces or paint. Would look good briefly, but long term - No.

Also, we are not talking about the paint actually. We are talking about what it does to the CLEAR COAT over your paint. If putting a short-chain oil, quickly oxidizing, (acidifying) cover on clear coat sounds good, re-think it. It might look good short term, but its going to damage it over time.

I have HEARD the armor-all washes can be good. I went to buy a 1/2 gallon to try (that was when I was distracted by the cheap Meguair's Deep Crystal). But for the cost difference - it might be $6 but the gold class $10 - it's not worth it. You use an ounce of these per wash (or less) - so a 64 ounce bottle is a 2 year supply. 4 year here (PNW).

Originally Posted By: deepsquat
Duragloss 902 ..2300 at amazon .. By brother has used it exclusively on his Acura MDX for 5 years and has not waxed it once..and you cant tell ..water still beads and paint is in perfect shape

do you mean 901?

Another Meguiars Gold Class fan here. Cleans well, suds very nicely and even SMELLS clean. I'm talking about the regular Gold Class shampoo. For a wash-and-wax product I use the Meguiars "Ultimate wash and wax." Even better, as I've found out in the past two months is a nice shampoo followed by Eagle One wax-as-you-dry.

I used some cheap Turtle Wax Citrus... It washed the Meguires Gold Class off my car very fast.

Using cheap soap on a waxed car makes it pointless to wax in the first place I have found.

Also, if you do the occassional touchless car wash, your wax won't last.

I was under the belief that any true "car wash soap" product that was labeled as such would not strip the wax or sealant from your paint.

However, anuy household soap, i.e., Dawn, Joy, Ajax, or any other dishwashing soap would likely strip wax.

I've used meguiars gold class for years because it's cheap at Costco. I can't say I dislike it, but have kinda gotten bored using the same thing for that long. I have been pleased with a lot of stuff from Chemical Guys, so I tried glossworkz soap. Smells really good, did a good job cleaning, and left the paint beading heavily after rinsing. Says it's safe for wax or sealant coats.

Duragloss 901 provides mountains of suds. Optimum No Rinse makes little suds, but both protect your wax job very nicely.

I like Meguires Gold but Griots Garage Car Wash (I think both Autozone and Advanced Auto have it) is my new favorite.

Quote:
I was under the belief that any true "car wash soap" product that was labeled as such would not strip the wax or sealant from your paint.

+1

since you are in Illinois, pick up some rinseless wash and you can wash your cars in your garage this winter. I turn on my garage heater 10 minutes before I go out to wash and can do a quick wash in my garage in about 10 minutes.

What you need.
Your favorite Rinseless wash
5 gallon bucket
Grit Guard
Wash Sponge
Three Microfiber drying towels

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back