Motorcraft 5W-20 run to 17,700 miles

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thanks everyone for the input. This is a learning exercise for me, not just to save a few dollars.

The truck had this oil in it when I bought it so I'm not positive what grade it was but the Ford dealer who changed it said it was 5W20 semi synthetic.

The engine seems to require about 2-3 quarts per 10k miles. I changed the oil the day I got the last sample results back.

Makes me feel better about going 10k on MC 5w20 on my 05 Matrix. Have about 8k on there now with at least 50% highway miles and no short trips. Haven't added any oil since it hasn't consumed much. They prob overfilled it a quarter of a quart. Now it's on the full line. Color looks nice, medium honey color. Not that color makes a big difference.

Originally Posted By: SatinSilver
They prob overfilled it a quarter of a quart. Now it's on the full line...

Do be aware that Toyota revised their dip stick during 2005 for this engine. It should measure exactly 18" from your dip stick "O" ring to the full mark. On the revised dip sticks the marks have moved up about 1/2" so if you have the older stick and it is on the full mark it would really be at the mid-point b/t add and full.

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
Run it for another 7500 miles and report back.

Paid for THREE oil analysis and never changes the oil. Could have changed the oil three times and engine would have been much happier. I will never understand this sight sometimes.

I made a bare spot in my scalp scratching my head over this one.

Oil consumption saved the motor as long as OP keeps it topped off.

TBN and TAN would've been interesting. Cut open the old oil filter.

Originally Posted By: Lubener

Paid for THREE oil analysis and never changes the oil. Could have changed the oil three times and engine would have been much happier. I will never understand this sight sometimes.

I made a bare spot in my scalp scratching my head over this one.

Yeah, me too. I didn't know engines had feelings.

True...but... curiosity and SCIENCE EXPERIMENT!!
27.gif

Last edited:

Yep, only time I'd do that is if it was a big diesel that took 10+ gallons of oil, or if you had a fleet and you were trying to optimize maintenance costs. Not a small engine, where you can change it for under $20.

Waste of money and time.

On the flip side at least its a respectable run. I'm tired of seeing silly UOA's of pricey synthetic changed at under 5k miles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back