1999 Saturn SL2 Rack and Pinion Below choices

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, it did it again. Back on 6-8-14 the Rack and Pinion Below on drivers side was ripped. The $10 O'Rielly replacement is now ripped. I was hearing a crunching noise every once in a while recently. When turning around in someone's driveway on an incline. But it was only once and would go away. Tonight I investigated where I was hearing the noise. Notice the Rack and Pinion Below ripped by the narrow end. Looked like that end did not move enough so it ripped. Maybe it installation error or a cheaper quality part than OEM.

So what would you recommend for a long term replacement? Are they all the same. This is my daily driver I use for work so I need it ready and reliable.

I did a temp fix of surrounding the open area with Saran Wrap and Duct tape.

Tie rod is tight. I wiped out area before sealing but there was a slight rust residue. Not sure if that caused the crunching noise so maybe additional parts are in order. I did grease the Tie Rod end I replaced at the same time but it seemed tight.

Is it just the bellows, or the rack and pinion itself is bad? What did you replace before , the whole rack or the bellows?

Rock auto has a/c delco bellows for 15.68

ACDELCO 45A7055 {#88910854} Professional

If you need the whole rack, i'd get the a/c delco remanufactured.
About all of the racks for this car of any quality will be reman.

The rack is OK as far as I know. No fluid leaks. Just replaced the Bellow and Tie Rod end. Someone else recommended Moog for the Bellow. Thinking of getting Moog Tie Rod end also. Just not trusting the entry level O'Reilly parts long term.

How does the ACDelco compare to Moog longevity wise?

Originally Posted By: MONKEYMAN
The rack is OK as far as I know. No fluid leaks. Just replaced the Bellow and Tie Rod end. Someone else recommended Moog for the Bellow. Thinking of getting Moog Tie Rod end also. Just not trusting the entry level O'Reilly parts long term.

How does the ACDelco compare to Moog longevity wise?

I don't know how the a/c delco would compare. There are 2 lines of a/c delco parts, the advantage and the professional. The advantage line seems to be the lower end cheapo stuff. I think moog or a/c professional would be good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back