That Knife

Status
Not open for further replies.
About 18 years ago I was visiting a friend in San Francisco, I was helping her prepare dinner when she said "you gotta try this knife" it was shortish and half knife and half cleaver but thin. I loved it, and asked where I could buy one.
They were sold in China town for about $3 each.

I bought 4 or 5 which sounds strange, but I was that impressed.

I kept one, and gave the rest away to friends.

We still have our knife, that my wife refers to as 'That knife' or 'the good knife' which causes me to roll my eyes as we also have Zwilling Henckels and Sabatier knives in the kitchen. But the cheap Taiwanese still seems to be the Go to knife most of the time.

The reason I bring this up now is, last night we had one of those knife receiving friends visit us. In conversation it came up her knife was taken along to a Potluck dinner in the summer, and somebody had taken it home with them. Where could she get another?
I brought our knife out and looked up the brand on the internet. http://www.amazon.com/Deba-Style-Flexible-Knife-171-Kiwi/dp/B003LIX4QA

Seems I'm not the only one raving about them, they have quite a following. and apparently still sell (other than amazon) for about $3-4.

Now let me say. I no financial interest in Kiwi Brand knives, and if people here expect a high quality product (in appearance) they are going to be dissapointed.

They just work very well.

I have a Kikuichi Tatsutogi Deba knife. It was a bit pricey. Great for filleting fish and for slicing meat.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
I have a Kikuichi Tatsutogi Deba knife. It was a bit pricey. Great for filleting fish or slicing meat.

This is a little like the shape of a Deba knife, but thinner being about 1/16" at the back, which allows a little flex.

They hold an edge quite well and have a little tooth, great for slicing, not so good for hacking bone.

What is your method of sharpening a thin knife like that? Staying that sharp over time, you must have a good sharpening method.

"You get all that for $9.95. It's the most incredible knife offer ever."

Say "knife offer ever" really fast three times in a row.
banana2.gif

I'm not a knife snob.. In for one at 5.67$@amazon.

Free sunday delivery

my regular knives are henckle everedge which is not so good but hey at least they stay sharp.

I am looking for 2-3 select knives that I actually use..

this seems like it would be great for prep.

Last edited:
I do not need another thing to spend money on but $6 is pretty reasonable. And we dearly lack any quality kitchen cutlery...

Thanks for the post, can never have enough knives. I'll throw one in the cart.

The one you posted is made in Thailand though, not Taiwan. Was yours made in Taiwan? Just curious.

Originally Posted By: EdwardC
Thanks for the post, can never have enough knives. I'll throw one in the cart.

The one you posted is made in Thailand though, not Taiwan. Was yours made in Taiwan? Just curious.

I beg your pardon, my slip, I should have said Thailand.

Here is some more talk about them:

http://www.cheftalk.com/t/64354/kiwi-brand-knives

I hope you guys like these knives when you get them, and I hope they are still as good as the knives I bought years ago.
I does seem from the other sites I have seen, that I am not alone in my enthusiasm. But I have read of some people talking of knock-offs being made in China!

In the past I have used a steel to sharpen our knives, but the last few years it has been a Fine diamond hone. My wife finds that easier. Normally they just get a light touch up about once a week.

Since it' such a thin blade you can sharpen it to razor sharpness. Then strop it with a polishing compound and you can slice the most delicate meat and fish thinly without tearing.

I think I'll stick with my Rada knives. Close to the same price point, even better reviews, a lifetime warranty, and made right here in the U.S.A. for the last 67 years.

When sharpening IME the metal is removed fast and keeps being removed; you have to adjust your style to working with a soft, flexible blade. You just have to stop sharpening at some point as it's not going to get any sharper.

I used to sharpen my SIL's knifes once a year; she never sharpens anything. The collection is very dull and has plenty of notches after a year. But, she stopped asking after a few years with cut fingers after I returned the batch. She seems to prefer them dull.

Originally Posted By: totegoat
Is it Kiwi style #171 that you are happy with?

Yes, it is the 171.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back