VOIP home phone

Status
Not open for further replies.
Being retired and on a fixed income really don't need a lot of bills in the mail each month.

I have used the free Google Voice and free phone number for a number of years on computers and smart phones.

Bought an OBi200 for around $48.00 a few weeks ago. Had a cordless phone at home (works with a corded phone too) and only took a few minutes for setup. Several have said that the call quality is great.

Only downfall is there is no E911 service but it can be had for $15.00 a year if needed. I have a cell phone through Republic Wireless and it has E911 service.

Free unlimited nation wide calls + Canada with the OBi200 and Google Voice. The Obi200 plugs via ethernet to the router so no need having the computer on.

I have Vonage and two important features

1) Voicemails are transcribed to an email and I can access my email on smart phone

2) Vonage Extensions allows one to call/receive calls on your home phone number anywhere there is cell or WIFI including out of the country (at least for WIFI).

Originally Posted By: cat843
I have Vonage and two important features

1) Voicemails are transcribed to an email and I can access my email on smart phone

2) Vonage Extensions allows one to call/receive calls on your home phone number anywhere there is cell or WIFI including out of the country (at least for WIFI).

The free Google Voice has those features too. On my cell phone I use Hangouts to make and receive calls from Google using Wi-Fi too.

You Tube has a lot of information on the use of Google Voice - Hangouts, the OBi200, etc.

You can setup the Google Number to ring several phones like a work, cell, etc., phone..

With Hangouts you can also do video calls like Skype and is free.

1. Google Voice does voice transcription also.

2. Google Voice can do that also so long as the local regulatory authority allows it. For example, it didn't work for me in Germany but has worked in Mexico and Canada. In the case of Germany, I could hear the party I was calling back in the US but they could not hear me.

So you don't actually have to listen to the message you can just read it. I have Ooma and it also does that, but maybe that's only with Premier which is more. One thing I like about ooma is the ability to block telemarketers and it has an active blacklist.

Some of the options of the free Google Voice - has blacklist options too.

You can send calls to Voicemail: No phones will ring, but the caller is prompted to leave you a voicemail message.

Treat the call as Spam: Caller will hear ringing and then be prompted to leave you a voicemail message. None of your phones will ring. The voicemail will be automatically marked in your inbox as Spam, and you won't receive a notification for the voicemail.

Block Caller: Caller will hear a "Number not in service" message when calling your Google number. None of your phones will ring. Blocked calls won't show in your call history as missed calls.

Other options.

Google Voice's spam blocking is phenomenal. I don't understand why other carriers don't implement this.

Over the past three years, Google Voice has automatically blocked over 1600 [censored] calls that would have otherwise rung to my cell phone.

I had Vonage for years and dumped them because they became too expensive for the features versus others. OP, I recommend that you check out ViaTalk. I have had it for more than 5 years and am completely satisfied. The VM to email, the call blocking (with infinite wildcards so you can be sure to block those telemarketer calls), the mobile app, and the price of $189 for 2 years are all the reasons I switched over.

Voice mail to email/smartphones alerts won't work with some of us that use our phones to make and receive calls only.... no available smartphone internet.

I suppose checking my calls via internet on my Dell desktop once or twice a day would work. But that may be several hours after the incoming call.

So if I'm looking to switch, then Vonage sounds like a winner for me. Supposedly with Vonage, I can work a landphone to record messages and call my landphone using my el-cheapo cellphone to check for messages.

With Google Voice you setup your smart phone to ring when someone calls your Google number if you desire. Too you can install the free Google Hangouts App on your smart phone, etc., and make and receive calls via Wi-Fi.

Some folks that have a smart phone with no cell service use Wi-Fi and Handouts to make calls to cell phones or land lines and receive free phone calls. You can also use handouts on a computer, tablet, etc., for making and receiving calls and doing live video calls too.

If you will spend some time on You Tube there is lots of info regarding this.

Have been using it for years and works great + it is free.

You can have google voice forward calls to any US number you want, including land lines and non-smart cell phones. You can also choose whether the caller ID identifies the original caller or your GV number.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Se7en
Voice mail to email/smartphones alerts won't work with some of us that use our phones to make and receive calls only.... no available smartphone internet.

You can setup google voice to send a text message(s) of transcribed message(can be rough) and phone # that alerts you someone called.

The OBi200 and Google voice is working well now that I have used it for awhile. Have a cordless phone plugged in and can't tell the difference from a regular home phone.

Have Google Voice setup to ring my regular cell phone too so if I am out I can take the call on my cell phone.

I also use Google Hangouts on my cell phone and desktop/laptop and can make or receive calls using the desktop/laptop, etc. Handy feature and free too.

Can the OBi200 work with a regular old land line phone?

How's the privacy with Google Voice? Do they monitor your calls for ad placement like they do with Gmail?

The OBi200 works with any regular corded or cordless home phone.

No problems with ads and works like a regular land line phone.

Have had no issues with privacy either.

You can install Google Hangouts on an Andriod or I-Phone too and make and receive calls. There is a lot of info on You Tube regarding this. Too; you can make and receive calls using a computer, tablet, etc., using Hangouts for that purpose.

I ave used Google Voice for years without issue and now with the OBi200 I can make and receive calls with any corded or cordless telephone.

With Hangouts you can also make and receive video calls in addition to phone calls to a cell or line line phone. A feature I use quite a lot.

Have been using the OBi200 with Google Voice now for about a month. No issues. Calls sound just like a regular land line.

I use Google Hangouts on my computer and cell phone with no issues either.

I've used Google Voice and an Obihai device for about three years now. No issues whatsoever, but as was mentioned there's no 911 service nor CNAM lookup (you get the caller's phone number in caller ID but no name). However, for a very minimal charge you can get both of these missing items from a seller like Anveo which is what I do.

One killer part of Google Voice is the spam filtering. It has cut that down to just about zero for us.

To port your landline number into Google Voice you have to first port it to a disposable cell phone such as an AT&T Go Phone. Then you can port it to GV. The only reason I keep the "landline" around is because some doctor/dentist/vet/etc. offices have that number and I didn't feel like calling all of them to change to my cell number. For the little cost per month it's worth it to me.

I use Google Voice as my work phone number (home office). I chose a number with the same area code as my primary customer, so it's a local call for them. The voice mail transcription is super -- I get an email with the text of the voice mail. I have my phone to ring with my Google Voice number, so I know it's a work call vs. a personal call. Hangouts, on my computer, will ring showing the actual caller's number, and I can pick that up via headset.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back