Question about fuel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Should i wait to get my fuel down to empty before filling up with premium? Thing is i just bought this car and have no idea what type of gas the previous owner been putting in it so i was thinking to get the tank down to near empty and fill it up with premium since thats what it takes or it doesnt matter?

It won't make an ounce of difference. Fill it up with manunfacturer recommended octane. What kind of vehicle? Most people who use premium do so ignorantly.

Last edited:
If it had high octane, better to start with a little lower octance to give the ECU a chance to populate the coef for better running. Since its suppose to have high octane, You could wait till you 1/8 tank if the car isn't knocking under boost.

Good luck finding "fresh" high octane gas. Maybe its more prevalent with some of the ford ecoboost and caddy V6 running around.

If the car modded and chipped or tuned?

What's the car, TSI Boosted?

Mid 90's Talon TSI?
smile.gif

Last edited:
Im thinking it had regular before when its suppose to have premium so i wanted to get that regular out as much as possible and fill it with premium but not sure what to do?

If specified for Premium, i'd start topping-up every time it gets down to 3/4 or 1/2 full. I have no scientific reason for this, just feel that bringing up the octane level this way would be less stress on the knock sensor than waiting until near empty.

If you're that worried about it, drain the tank, go put some premium in a gas can, pour into tank, then drive to gas station and fill with premium.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Good luck finding "fresh" high octane gas. Maybe its more prevalent with some of the ford ecoboost and caddy V6 running around

I'm having that fuel trouble as well. Huge variation tank to tank on premium, even Shell. It seems to get the ECU chasing its tail. Some tanks will even ping after a near-empty full refill. I'm getting ready to hit it with a full dose or two of SI-1 to see if it helps. One strategy might be to not let the tank get low and vary the places where I buy it but you'd think Shell would be the "best" with their current marketing emphasis on V-Power, etc.

I've found that certain stations (individual locations, not brands) just don't have good premium. Go for the stations that are heavily trafficked and have tankers filling them up frequently. Stations that see lots of higher-end cars or other performance / modified vehicles (all more likely to be going for premium) are a safer bet as well.

Filling the car up with premium all at once won't "stress the knock sensor". That's the biggest bunch of [censored] I've heard all day.

Just feed it the right stuff (if it's not currently pinging under boost, fill up at whatever level is convenient, if it is, get some high octane in there ASAP, then run the tank down and refill) and don't worry about it beyond that. Learning knock sensor correction for lower octane will be more noticeable to the driver than going to higher octane.

Its on quarter tank now with regular gas so should i just fill it up with premium now or wait till it goes near empty?

Will the computer adjust everything when i fill it with premium or its gonna take time? Its a 1999 oldsmobile lss supercharged

Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
Its on quarter tank now with regular gas so should i just fill it up with premium now or wait till it goes near empty?

Fill it up now, there is not really a reason to wait. If you are concerned about a lower octane then the sooner you bring it back closer to normal the better it will be.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: boostedtsiawd
Should i wait to get my fuel down to empty before filling up with premium? Thing is i just bought this car and have no idea what type of gas the previous owner been putting in it so i was thinking to get the tank down to near empty and fill it up with premium since thats what it takes or it doesnt matter?
Do what pleases you. It will not matter.

Just fill it up. The computer should figure things out pretty quickly, as it'll stop seeing knock when trying to follow the programmed timing tables (so it won't be pulling timing to make the knock stop).

Originally Posted By: wemay
If specified for Premium, i'd start topping-up every time it gets down to 3/4 or 1/2 full. I have no scientific reason for this, just feel that bringing up the octane level this way would be less stress on the knock sensor than waiting until near empty.

Huh?

OP, if the car has been run for any amount of time with regular gas, then it is what it is; trying to up the octane immediately won't really provide much benefit.

If it were me, I'd drive gently and fill it up with 93 AKI at a quarter of a tank and then carry on as I normally would for my fueling routine. Most cars requiring premium specify 91 AKI due to its availability in all 50 states (even though CA, Arizona, and Nevada 91 sucks,) so mixing in 93, if you can get it, would help alleviate the need to drain the tank to near empty before filling up.

The computer will "adjust" within a few minutes to the different fuel and you're good to go regardless.

If there is a learning curve, it will only apply to "adapting" to your individual driving style.
Or in some cases respond to the effects of an aftermarket tune.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
Get the premium in there now. Ask around wher the good gas is.
Don'tDONT! use octane Boosters in a can.

Why no octane boosters, I was going to start filling my Audi 2.0T with mid grade and using up the few bottles that I have just to get rid of them?

Originally Posted By: rslifkin

Filling the car up with premium all at once won't "stress the knock sensor". That's the biggest bunch of [censored] I've heard all day.

Maybe because you read it wrong or i could have explained it better. The point was this...

I'd prefer adding premium every time the tank was either at 3/4 full or at 1/2 a tank, over waiting for an empty tank before adding premium. The time spent waiting for the tank to empty, while on regular, may place more stress on the engine since the detonation would be more severe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back