VW Diesel Owners to Get $1000/vehicle November 9

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
The program will see owners receive $500 in a prepaid card with no restrictions on how to use it. A second card, which will be valued at between $500 and $750 can be used exclusively at Volkswagen dealerships.

02.gif

I guess as long as they dont require you to have your diesel updated I'd take the money. I had long thought that the TDI's were kinda smelly following them in traffic. Didnt realize it was because they were putting out 10-40x the NOX they were supposed to.

Originally Posted By: wemay
Quote:
The program will see owners receive $500 in a prepaid card with no restrictions on how to use it. A second card, which will be valued at between $500 and $750 can be used exclusively at Volkswagen dealerships.

02.gif

Oil (not many 507 options on the shelves elsewhere) and filters.

Originally Posted By: Rand
I guess as long as they dont require you to have your diesel updated I'd take the money. I had long thought that the TDI's were kinda smelly following them in traffic. Didnt realize it was because they were putting out 10-40x the NOX they were supposed to.

50k on mine and never noticed a smell.

They smell funny compared to older diesels, but I've never noticed them smelling any different than other modern DPF-era diesels (including trucks).

Originally Posted By: cpayne5
Quote:

02.gif

I guess that is an option.
thumbsup2.gif

I don't think NOx has a smell. All the other byproducts of combustion, perhaps.

Dunno. I always preferred the smell of my exhaust (once the cat warmed up) to the pollution put out by a gasser which had not gotten warmed up yet--might not last long, but it is quite noticable in winter.

Originally Posted By: supton

Dunno. I always preferred the smell of my exhaust (once the cat warmed up) to the pollution put out by a gasser which had not gotten warmed up yet--might not last long, but it is quite noticable in winter.

Something like your own farts don't stink?
laugh.gif

I do agree though, until the cat lights off on my cars, they raw fuel/chemical smell isn't great, but I rarely idle a car to warm it up. Cold diesel smell isn't great either and I do have to let the tractor warm up for a silly amount of time.

Quote:

02.gif

I guess that is an option.
thumbsup2.gif

Ha, yeah. At first, I wondered how many Das Auto shirts were going to grace my closet then I remembered they sell parts as well.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Originally Posted By: supton

Something like your own farts don't stink?
laugh.gif

I do agree though, until the cat lights off on my cars, they raw fuel/chemical smell isn't great, but I rarely idle a car to warm it up. Cold diesel smell isn't great either and I do have to let the tractor warm up for a silly amount of time.

I don't let 'em idle either, but walking to the car when everyone at work is leaving... I won't say they are gunning it out of here but it was something I quickly noticed after going diesel!

There are different NoX coming out the tail pipe. Acid gasses generally have an odor.

Nitric oxide has no colour, odour, or taste and is non-toxic. In the air it is rapidly oxidized to nitrogen dioxide.

Nitrogen dioxide is a reddish-brown gas with a pungent, irritating odour. It absorbs light and leads to the yellow-brown haze sometimes seen hanging over cities. It is one of the important components of smog.

Originally Posted By: AZjeff

50k on mine and never noticed a smell.

That's because you're IN it, not BEHIND it....
33.gif

Says who? Your sig is ironic.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Timing is odd since vw has no tdi product to offer nor likely will in the near future.

I don't believe a lot of tdi customers pick gasser Vw if they purchase again.

Smell from a little TDI? Get behind a heavy commercial truck on the highway that is doing a DPF regen and then let us know how the TDI compares. A DPF regen from a semi is really nasty. Big, white smoke cloud it leaves behind during the process. Makes me glad my semi truck is pre-egr, pre-scr, and pre-dpf.

Don't forget the exhaust pipe glowing cherry red from the heat! We have a couple tractors at work that have the bolts holding the heat shields to the stacks blue from heat.

Not enough. Should be $3,000 per car and make all the class action lawsuits go away to keep more lawyers from buying more Mercedes...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back