Carbon buildup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello folks

I drive my 2008 Ford Escape only to work for about 8 miles a day. It only sees city driving for most of its life. A co-worker of mine told me to drive this vehicle onto the highway at least once a week so that carbon would not build up in the engine. Is this true?

Thanks for the input ....

Last edited:
Take it out and blow it out

Let them 40 HP do their thing.

Carboning was more of a thing with carbureated cars.

When I was looking for my first car I test drove this old mans Monte Carlo. I punched it on the on ramp and held it down. An enormous amount of black smoke trailed. It looked worse than a diesel roaling coal. When I got back the old man stated "its never been over 55 miles an hour". I just chuckled to myself, " it has now"

Look at your vehicle as the human body. Wake up from a deep sleep and run fast for a few miles then put the body to sleep again. Now repeat the process to go home and go back to sleep. We are meant to be moving around not just eating and sleeping. We carbon up but it's called fat. Your car is getting fat. Take it out and run the [censored] out of it for some exercise!

Originally Posted By: kaboom10
Look at your vehicle as the human body. Wake up from a deep sleep and run fast for a few miles then put the body to sleep again. Now repeat the process to go home and go back to sleep. We are meant to be moving around not just eating and sleeping. We carbon up but it's called fat. Your car is getting fat. Take it out and run the [censored] out of it for some exercise!
no thanks. My car is there to serve me.

If the car is driving fine, does not ping, knock, misfire or shows any other symptoms that could indicate carbon buildup, then why bother with the rituals? Cars are there to serve us, not the other way around.

Sure, if I got the chance, every once in a while I would floor it and let the revs climb, but I would not make a ritual out of it and go out of my way just to "exercise the car".

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If the car is driving fine, does not ping, knock, misfire or shows any other symptoms that could indicate carbon buildup, then why bother with the rituals?

Good point. The OP can add a bottle of a good FI cleaner a tank or two before each OCI if he's really concerned.

Originally Posted By: BEETLE
Hello folks

I drive my 2008 Ford Escape only to work for about 8 miles a day. It only sees city driving for most of its life. A co-worker of mine told me to drive this vehicle onto the highway at least once a week so that carbon would not build up in the engine. Is this true?

Thanks for the input ....

In modern FI vehicles, carbon is less likely. But your oil's condition is what is more concerning. With your driving pattern the car is not getting fully warmed up; so at least once every couple of weeks a highway pleasure drive is in order, or at least enough driving to get everything nice and hot.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Do a couple of full throttle runs on the freeway on-ramp every Sunday.

I find Saturdays work pretty well too. Tuesday's not so much.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
Do a couple of full throttle runs on the freeway on-ramp every Sunday.

I find Saturdays work pretty well too. Tuesday's not so much.

I just let my Accord wind up to 4000 every now and then when getting on the highway. I am a city driver too with most trips being 5 miles or less. I choose to run a bottle of Techron before most oil changes.

Wait until you buy a DI car...
27.gif

Originally Posted By: thunderfog
Wait until you buy a DI car...
27.gif

Indeed. Fuel Dilution & Carbon. DI's need help.

Originally Posted By: KrisZ
If the car is driving fine, does not ping, knock, misfire or shows any other symptoms that could indicate carbon buildup, then why bother with the rituals? Cars are there to serve us, not the other way around.

Sure, if I got the chance, every once in a while I would floor it and let the revs climb, but I would not make a ritual out of it and go out of my way just to "exercise the car".

Agreed. The idea of just going out and wasting gas is downright foolish.

Originally Posted By: kaboom10

That's a false analogy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back