1992 Dakota 46RH, unknown fluid/mileage

Status
Not open for further replies.
I went junkyard hunting about a decade ago and found a seemingly low mileage 5.2L/46RH in an ex-city truck, that I liked for a project. The project went away, and this setup sat in my shed forever. The engine got some water inside #7, and was locked up/scrapped, but the trans was just there, for that next project, one day.

Last June, a well abused Dakota jumped onto a trailer and came home with me, and I finally decided to get working on it. Since I had lot driven the donor before I pulled the drivetrain, so I installed it without hesitation. This sample came from the torque converter, was removed with a vacuum pump, and placed in covered spray paint can lids while I waited for sample containers. I was happy to see that it didn't get any water inside, since that is what took out the engine it was attached to. The fluid didn't look terrible, and didn't smell bad, but I was already planning on doing a fluid swap in about 1500 miles or so. I am hoping that maybe the high wear was someone beating on the donor truck, and am hoping they drop in the future.

Dakota46RH.jpg

Drop the pan and clean it out and do a COMPLETE fluid change with ATF+4.

What year is the transmission?

The analysis appears to show a factory fill.

The Barium levels shows this fluid to be some ancient Chrysler fluid.

Well that's not something I am happy to hear. It came out of a 1991 D150.

I've already pulled the pan and I siphoned the torque converter and refilled. It has already taken over 5 quarts to get it to full, and it hasn't even filled the trans coolers yet.

Upon further investigation, this fluid does not appear to be a Type "A" ATF.

Most type "A" ATF had only about 30 ppm of Barium, an anti-rust agent.

So it was either an ancient Chrysler fluid or some ATF mixed with a diesel engine oil.

What ever it was, it sheared down to a viscosity lower than a typical Dexron VI, Toyota WS, or Mercon LV.

This is going to be interesting to see how it performs. The trans cooler lines show up today, when they are installed, I should be able to start the truck.

Originally Posted By: ExDelayed
This is going to be interesting to see how it performs. The trans cooler lines show up today, when they are installed, I should be able to start the truck.

By all means let us now what happens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back