Wakefield - New Castrol Products - Canada Only

Status
Not open for further replies.
I came across two new products today at one of my suppliers. Both are sold in the gold bottle. They were both in one litre bottles. I have no idea if other sizes are available or what the cost is. I just came across them both at a supplier.

The first is Castrol Edge 5w-30 A3/B4. It doesn't have the most impressive specifications or the longest list of builder approvals, but certainly is a capable lubricant. Shannow and SR5 and I had been discussing A3/B4 5w-30 lubricants here and there, and I had remarked that none were available here, outside of Castrol OE stuff. Now, I've found a counterexample to that. The other interesting point is that while Castrol now has four A3/B4 lubricants available on retail shelves in Canada (plus Castrol OE stuff), I have yet to see any of the Pennzoil Euro stuff in the wild. I have mentioned many times that Wakefield Canada aggressively markets. This is what I mean.

The second is Castrol Edge 5w-30 C3. The most interesting thing about it is that it's the only dexos2 oil I've seen in the wild.

Wakefield Canada indicates that these products, at least in these specific guises, are only available in the Canadian market.

Yep, in a gold bottle (5L) here in Oz.
Wow !! Those specs look very close

1428408843316.jpg

The larger 5L bottles are pretty much the standard size here.

I think the Edge 5W-30 as either A3/B4 or C3 is a great product. A good middle weight oil, with a HTHS of 3.5 to 3.6, it sits right on the fence between A3/B4 and the RC A5/B5.

I also like how you have two distinct products A3/B4 is one and C3 is the other.
Not the impossible A3/B4/C3 that some people do. That way you know the A3/B4 has a TBN of 10 or more.

I hope they give you guys a good price.

Originally Posted By: Garak

The second is Castrol Edge 5w-30 C3. The most interesting thing about it is that it's the only dexos2 oil I've seen in the wild.

We've got this as a Dex 2
http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/0EC976C69B4CF61A80257CAC0002979B/$File/BPXE-9HQ2KQ.pdf

Originally Posted By: SR5
I also like how you have two distinct products A3/B4 is one and C3 is the other.
Not the impossible A3/B4/C3 that some people do. That way you know the A3/B4 has a TBN of 10 or more.

Castrol does have it faults, but at least it tends to keep its specifications straight. As for price, it would probably be reasonable, at least at my supplier. I haven't seen it elsewhere yet. The Castrol 0w-40 in the jugs would be hard to beat, but on "regular priced" stuff, the 5w-30 A3/B4 would certainly be an option. As for jug sizes, Wakefield does strange things with jug sizes. Gold bottle and GTX are usually in 4.4 L jugs, with the black bottle being in 4.4 L or 5 L jugs. GTX is also occasionally in a 4 L or 5 L jug, and the actual HDEO stuff is usually a 4 L jug. Imperial Oil shares this infatuation with 4.4 L jugs, too.

Shannow: Well, at least we've got something dexos2 that can be found on the shelf. Imperial Oil inexplicably doesn't have one up here yet, though they do have a C3 lube available.

The flip side is the lack of GF-5 lubes. Castrol only make 1 option available - Magnatec "Fuel Saver" 5w30. There is no Edge or GTX GF-5 and no dexos 1.

Magnatec A3/B4 options on the other hand include 5w30, 10w30, 10w40 and 15w40

Last edited:
supercity,
Fuel Saver is HTHS 3.2, and in the Caprice didn't save very much fuel over SP 5W40 if any.

I haven't seen it at Canadian Tire, Walmart Canada, or Partsource yet, but Partsource may get it ahead of the others. I found it at one of my independent suppliers, of all places, right on the shelves with the rest of the gold bottle Edge. Wakefield obviously convinced them it was worth carrying.

After reading you post in Dustyroads' thread I did a quick check. There are about 18 2015 Cruze left on dealer lots in western Canada. The new 2016, not the limited, will roll out with the Verano mid year. They might call it a 2017. The new Diesel Cruze engine will be smaller than the 2.0 in the 2015s. Diesel Canyon/Colorados are likely 5W30 Dexos II engines.
If free oil changes for 2 years are part of the package, there will not be much call for 5w30 Dexos II in the "wild".
Edit; If GM introduces a new Diesel to replace the Duramax (GM Authority Rumors), what would be the chance of that engine being 5W30 Dexos II? If it is, single liter bottles will have to be replaced with jugs and pails of it, unless of course, the oil changes are free.

Edit #2; Maybe Dexos II will be dropped, replaced with CJ-4 5w30.

Last edited:
That's a good question. I've heard competing theories about that. I suppose it depends upon the emissions systems they put in. If they're going with something that needs more of a ACEA C sequence type thing, dexos2 would be the answer. If not, well the CJ-4 5w-30s might be an option. They are, notably, low phosphorous, even though they are CJ-4, thanks to ACEA E6.

If it were me buying and it called for a dexos2 oil, well, I'm not a fan of dealer oil changes, unless I'm watching them like a hawk, and even then, I prefer to do it myself. As for the Castrol stuff, I only saw quarts, but am not sure what else might be available. I did a Cummins oil change with quarts once, and it's an experience I don't care to try very often.

If you ask me, everything should be available in 20 L pails, but that's just me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back