Dumped GC for 5W20 Redline

Status
Not open for further replies.
6K miles on the GC, about half of it pulling trailers behind my 2003 Silverado 4.8. I'm sure I dumped the GC earlier than needed, but we fit in one group or the other here. We dump early, or we stretch. I'm an early dumper.

The only thing that concerns me is that the 5W20 Redline seemed about the same viscosity cold as the GC did hot. I'm trusting the HTHS viscosity of the Redline and if the pressure readings or engine sounds aren't good, I'll dump it for some 5W30 Mobil 1 EP. Another option is to bump the viscosity with some 10W60 Castrol or Shell BMW M oil. I left a quart cushion to allow this if I want.

Some will say using 5W20 in my LS is stupid, but that's what we do here. And its winter in Missouri. My truck has nearly 41K miles on it, I hope it doesn't blow up.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
6K miles on the GC, about half of it pulling trailers behind my 2003 Silverado 4.8. I'm sure I dumped the GC earlier than needed, but we fit in one group or the other here. We dump early, or we stretch. I'm an early dumper.

The only thing that concerns me is that the 5W20 Redline seemed about the same viscosity cold as the GC did hot. I'm trusting the HTHS viscosity of the Redline and if the pressure readings or engine sounds aren't good, I'll dump it for some 5W30 Mobil 1 EP. Another option is to bump the viscosity with some 10W60 Castrol or Shell BMW M oil. I left a quart cushion to allow this if I want.

Some will say using 5W20 in my LS is stupid, but that's what we do here. And its winter in Missouri. My truck has nearly 41K miles on it, I hope it doesn't blow up.

What are you trying to achieve?
GC 0W40? That thing is working in faaaaaaaar more demanding engines.

Originally Posted By: ledslinger
We dump early, or we stretch.

...or we follow the OLM, and eliminate silly guesswork.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
DO you find yourself worrying a lot?

Just a little about Alex Trebec's mother getting diddled by Sean Connery.

What does 5w20 have to do with winter over I assume a 5w30? What does your truck recommend? I see no issue running a 5w20 unless thicker is specd.

Last edited:
It's your truck, use what ever oil you want, doesn't matter what anyone else thinks. I use 5 or 10w30 in my Silverado

The 5w20 will probably be just fine over the winter, but the cold start advantage of a 5w20 over a 5w30 is very small, I don't see the point unless you are just experimenting.

Originally Posted By: toneydoc
I bet the Redline does fine. Doubt your engine will notice any difference

Considering Redline is GrV, it should do much better in winter then other oils.

Originally Posted By: edyvw
Originally Posted By: toneydoc
I bet the Redline does fine. Doubt your engine will notice any difference

Considering Redline is GrV, it should do much better in winter then other oils.

Depends on where you live. In Missouri, probably not.

Redline 5w20 Has an HTHS of 3.0 It is basically a 30wt as it is thicker than the 2.9cp min allowed for a 30wt oil.

There wont be any problem running it. It also will not flow any better than a typical 5w30 at missouri temps. VI is 147 so it is not exactly the lightest oil.

M1 5w30 would likely flow better at 0F

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
Redline 5w20 Has an HTHS of 3.0 It is basically a 30wt as it is thicker than the 2.9cp min allowed for a 30wt oil.

There wont be any problem running it. It also will not flow any better than a typical 5w30 at missouri temps. VI is 147 so it is not exactly the lightest oil.

M1 5w30 would likely flow better at 0F

I couldn't have said it better myself!

I would add that due to it's VI being the same as a 10W-30, at more typical start-up temp's it would have the operational viscosity characteristics of an oil like M1 10W-30.

Originally Posted By: aquariuscsm
I would never go thinner than spec (assuming your truck specs a 30wt?).

Given the HTHS of 3.0 for Red Line 5w-20, I wouldn't find a lot of cause for alarm. It will, of course be different than the >= 3.5 for GC.

Originally Posted By: CATERHAM
I would add that due to it's VI being the same as a 10W-30, at more typical start-up temp's it would have the operational viscosity characteristics of an oil like M1 10W-30.

Better check your local Walmart. I hear that some of them up here are closing out synthetic 10w-30s, much like CT did. I know you'd want to be all over that.
wink.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back