Battery vents

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello I need a battery for an 06 2.2L Cobalt. The battery resides in the truck as part of the spare tire well. It has a strap held down by a bolt, two top clamps and a small vent tube that connects to,the side of the battery. I do not think I have ever seen such a thing, and my guess is it vents expansion gases underneath the vehicle to atmosphere.

I plan to get a local battery tomorrow and wonder do they make specific batteries for truck mounts with the vent? Or is it like some radiators that have the fittings for ATF, but arent used if driving a manual transmission.

Also, what if the battery has no vent and I install it? Could it explode, be short lived or vent toxic fumes into the trunk and/or cabin?

Thanks

Plenty of cars use batteries like this, and plenty of batteries have vents.

Another option is to use an AGM battery.

I noticed that too and he calls the vent tube a wire. I almost ran out to the car because I didnt remember any side wire and thought he was referring to the harness in the photo.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Plenty of cars use batteries like this, and plenty of batteries have vents.

Another option is to use an AGM battery.

+1

My 2000 E430 with standard BCI group 49 has a vent to bottom of the floor below rear seat to outside. Currently I have AC-Delco AGM group 49 without vent.

Originally Posted By: spackard
Originally Posted By: Rand
http://www.yourcobalt.com/forums/maintenance/17425-how-change-battery-your-cobalt.html

first link on google.

Except that guy removes the positive clamp first.
At least he reinstalls the positive clamp first.

And just to expand on that, always disconnect the negative first and then the positive. Connecting is the reverse, always the positive then the negative. Reason is that if you do it in reverse, if your ratchet accidentally touches the body of the car, sparks will fly if you're disconnecting positive first and the ground is still connected. Nothing happens if you do it in the correct order.

the old (60s, ) VW beetles and square backs did not have a vented battery, but it was under the back seat.
to me I would not like the battery in the trunk.
whats the design reason? no room in the front?

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: edwardh1
the old (60s, ) VW beetles and square backs did not have a vented battery, but it was under the back seat.
to me I would not like the battery in the trunk.
whats the design reason? no room in the front?

I would think that the reason had more to do with cable length than anything else. Plus why take up any more of the precious little front storage area with a battery?

Even if you wanted to put it next to the engine, where in that compartment would you find a place for a battery that would be accessible from the lid?

My BMW puts it under the rear seat for weight distribution (plus the underhood area is already crowded enough).

batteries last longer at lower temps. in addition to weight distribution, it's a nice bonus.

I've seen non-vented batteries sit in trunks or beneath seats without making a mess, but it isn't always the case.

If the parts lookup qualifies a battery for the vehicle, it should have the proper vent.

We just put an H6 AGM in a volvo with trunk location, it used the vent tube. the online deals with advance auto made it attractive this go-round.

I would much prefer a properly ventilated battery in the trunk over one in the engine bay. The only downside is if you have a dead battery and the truck is full of stuff, but they usually have jump points in the engine bay.

I suspect the trunk can get just as hot as under the hood in summer weather.

The vent, as explained to me by the battery man, is in a truck with the alternator charging the battery, hydrogen gas is released, and if there was an open flame........

Then I think he answered another wuestion of mine, saying it could leech into the cabin and hurt my lungs. Luckily, the battery had a vent on either side, with a plug for the side not being utilized.

They can get dirty in the trunk too, so who knows which is best. I do appreciate the improved handling.

Originally Posted By: bdcardinal
I would much prefer a properly ventilated battery in the trunk over one in the engine bay. The only downside is if you have a dead battery and the truck is full of stuff, but they usually have jump points in the engine bay.

300's are this way. Jumper connections under the hood, battery in the trunk. Neat little vented sucker with a hose to lead those explosive gases outside. Amazing for a huge luxury sedan to have near 50-50 weight distribution.

BTW, in my car's trunk the temps are WAY lower than under the hood! If the car is running the AC actually cools it, and when you park it is probably the same after about 14-16 hours. It takes a long time for that big chunk of iron to cool off....

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
It takes a long time for that big chunk of iron to cool off....

Big chunk of lead actually.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
So the extra copper going from the trunk to the engine bay (and having to accommodate it thru routing/hardware) is a pittance to having better weight distribution?

With a big/heavy enough battery, YES.

The 'copper' does add some weight since runs that long need to be HUGE gauge to lessen current drop.

Originally Posted By: circuitsmith

He was speaking of his engine not cooling down very quickly, not the battery.
But, aren't ALL of the modern/late model Hemi car blocks aluminum alloy??
confused2.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
Originally Posted By: circuitsmith

He was speaking of his engine not cooling down very quickly, not the battery.
But, aren't ALL of the modern/late model Hemi car blocks aluminum alloy??
confused2.gif

Nope, mot mine. Iron block with aluminum heads...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back