Really wanting a Ural/sidecar bike...impressions?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
Originally Posted By: Studebaker
The thread on ADVrider was written by a whiner called Bokad. There is an accompanying thread on ADVrider called "why you SHOULD buy a Ural motorcycle."

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/why-you-should-buy-a-ural.807702/

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/reasons-why-you-should-buy-a-ural.925274/

Same warnings apply, if you're offended by non-puritanical language probably should skip ADV.

Same site....way different opinion with links to many many "horror stories"

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/why-you-should-not-buy-a-ural-motorcycle.794963/

Originally Posted By: Robenstein
Originally Posted By: DuckRyder
The thread on ADVrider was written by a whiner called Bokad. There is an accompanying thread on ADVrider called "why you SHOULD buy a Ural motorcycle."

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/why-you-should-buy-a-ural.807702/

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/reasons-why-you-should-buy-a-ural.925274/

Same warnings apply, if you're offended by non-puritanical language probably should skip ADV.

Same site....way different opinion with links to many many "horror stories"

http://advrider.com/index.php?threads/why-you-should-not-buy-a-ural-motorcycle.794963/

Welcome to 6:42AM.
33.gif

Before you offer an article on how terrible the Ural is, why don't you read it?
It is from 2001, 15 YEARS AGO!

The last link I posted was from 2012...and all of the "Horror Stories" were also recent to that article as the poster mentions. He states that if you think this list is bad, go back further and see how much worse they used to be. While the new Urals address a few problems of the 2012 vintage, it still leaves a laundry list of deficiencies that should not be present in any 21st century motorcycle that costs upwards of 15k dollars. Everyone makes a lemon here and there, Ural just makes a markedly higher percentage of them.

Last edited:
Running a Ural in the 2001 Iron Butt is like running a plowhorse in the Kentucky Derby. They are not made for that.By the same token, try plowing a field with a race horse.
The Ural is designed to be a tough, go anywhere unit. The Ural is the Jeep Wrangler of the motorcycle world. Your Speedster is the Chevy Impala. Both have their place. Some people consider the Wrangler as crude. It is what it is, and many people want that.
Riding within its' design parameters, the Ural is a very reliable package.
The Ural warranty is 24 months, unlimited mileage. The company really stands behind their warranty.
Two wheel drive, reverse gear, purpose made sidecar motorcycle. No one else makes one available in the U.S.

I had a Ural in the mid '80's, powered by a 1200cc VW engine and a Jupiter chair on the left. More power, but slower than the 650 Ural as the VW didn't rev as high. Power train seemed to handle the extra ok. Ural's are made for sidecars - correct steering geometry, thrust wheel bearings etc. A lot of motorcyclists can't cope with the change, others like me adapt and love them.

Y'all's little discussion has gotten some attention over on Soviet Steeds forum. While it appears that Studebaker has a pretty good grasp on things here, I would invite any of y'all that have further questions about these unique machines to visit us over on the forum. I think you'll find that you get straight answers to any and all questions.
It's free to join and I think you'll find us a pretty happy bunch. Come see us.

http://www.sovietsteeds.com/forums/index.php

I've ridden several, have friends that own/owned them, and know others that sell them. Based on my own experience, and the experiences of those that are in the know, I have no desire to own one myself.

It seems that the fellow over on ADVrider that owned two, and was very critical of them due to his experience, was right about the owners over-sensitivity to criticism of their ride.

Running a Ural in the 2001 Iron Butt is like running a plowhorse in the Kentucky Derby. They are not made for that.By the same token, try plowing a field with a race horse.
The Ural is designed to be a tough, go anywhere unit. The Ural is the Jeep Wrangler of the motorcycle world. Your Speedster is the Chevy Impala. Both have their place. Some people consider the Wrangler as crude. It is what it is, and many people want that.
Riding within its' design parameters, the Ural is a very reliable package.
The Ural warranty is 24 months, unlimited mileage. The company really stands behind their warranty.
Two wheel drive, reverse gear, purpose made sidecar motorcycle. No one else makes one available in the U.S.

The inability to run on Americas highways does indeed speak to the overall quality of the machine. As far as comparing it to a Jeep Wrangler, I can drive one of those off a dealers lot and across the country at interstate speeds and it wont come apart. If the darn things held together better, that would be a more accurate comparison to an automobile.

As far as it being a go anywhere machine....well if it has a propensity to break down often, taking it off the beaten path is the LAST place I would take it. Pushing it out of the wilderness sounds less than enjoyable.

I know someone who had a 750 Ural...it was the last one they ever owned. The person was technically proficient and bike was a constant headache for them. They sold it about 5 years later with very few miles on it (Couldn't trust it enough to take it out of town) for a massive loss.

Again, not sure why you feel the need to make excuses for a 21st century machine that suffers from so many issues related to poor manufacture and poor quality of materials. I think they are a cool looking bike and a neat idea for those of us vintage BMW nuts. However, the idea is poorly executed far too often. But if you have money to burn, by all means, go for it. I hope you get a good one in what is essentially a game of Russian motorcycle roulette.

Well....after reading the gamut of opinions on here....and delving into various websites detailing the Ural and it's peculiarities (both good and bad)...I've decided that I am not going to gamble with the household income.
Reliability and quality are big to me...and from reading through the spectrum of informative sources available and simple opinions by current/former owners, the Ural is not the vehicle for me.

Thanks everyone for the input. It's great being able to bounce stuff like this off of the average Joe before jumping in with both feet!

Last edited:
I was thinking for that amount of money you could just get a wrangler and have most of the Ural experience with fewer potential problems. Or get an ATV to go offroad and a motorbike to go on road, or get a dual sport bike and do both.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
I was thinking for that amount of money you could just get a wrangler and have most of the Ural experience with fewer potential problems. Or get an ATV to go offroad and a motorbike to go on road, or get a dual sport bike and do both.

I actually wasn't planning on doing any off-road stuff. I just wanted to ride around paved back roads while operating a vintage-looking bike where I could take a passenger once in a while. It was mostly the nostalgia. I've had several ATV's....and found it not worth all the effort to find a place to ride (miles away...all kinds of rules and hassle).

Andrew,
I agree, a Ural is not for everyone.
But do yourself a favor. Rather than having this nagging at you in the future, take a ride up to USA headquarters in Redmond. They welcome visitors. This will give you a feel for the company.
If you like what you see, take a ride up to UralNW in Ferndale. Nice ride. Talk to the staff, Ben and Steven, and the mechanic Mark. You have nothing to lose.
THen, if you decide against it, you know you thoroughly researched it.
If you decide it is what you want, buy a slightly used one for $5-6,000.
There is a large contingent of Ural riders in the NW and they will be glad to talk with you and help you in any way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back