Ow-40's which one ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
John Deere plus50 vs Ams-oil European.

There is a whole 10 cents difference between quarts.

Winter use in a vw tdi.

Pour points and flash points are the same.

Jd plus 50 TBN. 12.8. V@40. 85.7
AOE. TBN. 10.1. V@40. 74.7

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
Out of everything that's available, why only those two?

Correct. Is there a better 0w-40 that has diesel ratings that I should also be considering?

Last edited:
Two things:

It isn't that cold in WV.
I couldn't care less about VW approvals. Results are what matter.

Excellent 5w-40's are available for around $20/gallon at your local Walmart, with the data to back up their suitability in your application.

Originally Posted By: Mountaineer
John Deere plus50 vs Ams-oil European.

There is a whole 10 cents difference between quarts.

Winter use in a vw tdi.

Pour points and flash points are the same.

Jd plus 50 TBN. 12.8. V@40. 85.7
AOE. TBN. 10.1. V@40. 74.7

What VW TDI? has DPF?

Two things:

I couldn't care less about VW 505 approvals. Results are what matter.

Excellent 5w-40's are available for around $20/gallon at your local Walmart, with the data to back up their suitability in your application.

Ran t6 in previous winters. Some weeks during the winter never get in positive digits. Wanting a zero weight diesel oil now.

Last edited:
Two things:

I couldn't care less about VW approvals. Results are what matter.

I also could care less about vw oil ratings

Alh and brm . Non def or dpf

I would still run VW 505.01, maybe Pentosin 5W40.
If you still want cheap but good oil, definitely T6 5W40.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
Block heater?

Water circulation heater on the 01 but only can plug in at home.

Wow. So far not a single vote for A or B. Lol

Last edited:
You mention pour point, so I'll throw Castrol 0w-40 out there. It's the same application class oil as the amsoil your considering. CC stats are pretty comparable to the Amsoil

http://msdspds.castrol.com/bpglis/FusionPDS.nsf/Files/CE3FF44E27742B4A80257A6F00311A86/$File/BPXE-8XTLDK.pdf

It's on "sale" at AAP, so you can get a filter and 5qts for 29.99, and then purchase extra single quarts at a slight discount. Walmart has it for $23/5qt. You can also get a free T-shirt if you wish.

Edge 0w-40 has the certs on all the specs the Amsoil claims, and costs less. TBN shouldn't be an issue with Edge. Amsoil runs me ~$11/quart local. The Castrol runs about half the cost (factoring in the filter), your pricing may vary.

Last edited:
Some weeks during the winter never get in positive digits.

I know. Those temps are well within the capability of CJ-4 5w-40's.

Originally Posted By: 05LGTLtd
so I'll throw Castrol 0w-40 out there.

No. Absolutely not.

I didn't lambaste OP for mentioning that Amsoil product, but it's, along with the Castrol here, incorrect for the application.

If you were going to abide by VW specs, their AFLQT (European Car Formula 5W-40 Mid-SAPS) would get the nod. However, I'd still select a CJ-4 5w-40.

Mountaineer - Go get some Delo 400 LE 5w-40. $19.98/gallon at Walmart. I'd be willing to bet that you'll be very impressed with the winter performance it'll deliver.

Some weeks during the winter never get in positive digits.

Mountaineer - Go get some Delo 400 LE 5w-40. $19.98/gallon at Walmart. I'd be willing to bet that you'll be very impressed with the winter performance it'll deliver.

Delo over T6 ? Hard to believe it there will be a noticeable difference over T6. Like I stated above , t6 is what I've been running for several winters now.

Delo over T6 ?

Yes, that's what I said. I have no financial interest in anything you choose, and am solely recommending what I think is best here.

Additionally, were I concerned with cold start TDI performance, focusing on oil (notwithstanding proper viscosity selection) would be well down on the list...

FrostHeater
Fuel (Additive)
Battery (Maintenance Charger)
Oil

Whatever you select, I wish you good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back