Intake Tubing Gone Bad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I would share my experience from the last couple days. I went out to my car to check my fluids and air filter and upon removing the air filter box lid I noticed some light coming through part of the intake tube, which is a flex piece between the MAF sensor and Air box. Looks like the rubber has just gotten worn out from being compressed and expanded over the years and of course weather isn't kind to rubber either. This now means I am sucking at least a little unfiltered air directly into the MAF sensor and the rest of the intake. Luckily I was able to go to my local Autozone and find this rubber coupler normally used when making and piecing together your own air intakes that fit almost perfectly in place of the bad piece. Only cost $8 and saved me the trouble of trying to find an oem replacement or having to go to a junk yard. Just thought I'd share my experience.

Thanks for reading! Here's the pics:
5wHzeqP.jpg

9bgsGuB.jpg

I3wwCzC.jpg

71kvYwo.jpg

Nice. Been there done that a few times lol.

I just did the intake tub on the yukon using two of those couplers. I wanted the intake tube without the open end on the intake so had to mod it but it looks good.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
Looks like you are missing a valve cover cover bolt!

Yes, The threads that the bolt went into got stripped from being over tightened by shops over the year and now the bolt will just sit in the hole and rattle so 3 out of 4 is good enough haha.

Do you think armor alling it once a year, then wiping down with a water dampened sponge or towel once a year would have kept the materials conditioned, thus preventing dryrot?

Doubtful. I bought this car used a few years ago, some damage was already done and it was a matter of time. Really no big deal. I do wipe some of that stuff down every now and then. That piece was prone to tear eventually because when you open the air box you have to flex and stretch that piece. After 156k miles it's been opened plenty of times for filter checks/changes and cleaning intake tubing and MAF. It happens.

Originally Posted By: Ga129

Yes, The threads that the bolt went into got stripped from being over tightened by shops over the year and now the bolt will just sit in the hole and rattle so 3 out of 4 is good enough haha.

That's awful.

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111

That's awful.

eh, it's all plastic anyway.

Originally Posted By: JBinTX30
I got one just after installing it.. not bad with a little modding.
20151103_163236_zpskkl50wdz.jpg

Nice. Are you using a K&N filter as well or paper? I know getting rid of the resonators usually accompanied to the tubing helps a bit already with how the intake sounds and what not. Or is this just the best way you found to replace the broken parts?

Last edited:
Hopefully there was a MaF screen after the duct to catch any rocks or rubber debris! I remember removing that screen on my Z28 because it seemed to increase airflow. It is such a nice back up to prevent catastrophe in events such as your's. also, it may help aerodynamics of the air into the engine! Does anyone know of a typical speed of the air movement between the filter and into the throttle butterfly? I kind of wonder can it get fast and shoot out the tailpipe really fast.

JBinTX30, does your 5.3 have the same exhaust system as my 03 6.0? Is that inlet tube nice? I was under the impression only Airraid made one. So, add K&N and there are two I know of now.

Nice. Are you using a K&N filter as well or paper? I know getting rid of the resonators usually accompanied to the tubing helps a bit already with how the intake sounds and what not. Or is this just the best way you found to replace the broken parts?

I am using the K&N Filter. I got it for only $22 dollars brand new. I just took the stock intake off i still have it its not broken or anything I did it for better sound as well as it does look better than the stock one. Also adds a bit better exhaust note.

JBinTX30, does your 5.3 have the same exhaust system as my 03 6.0? Is that inlet tube nice? I was under the impression only Airraid made one. So, add K&N and there are two I know of now.

I believe the exhaust is the same. I had to modify the K&N tube to fit cut 1/2 inch of the throttle body side and cut 1 1/4 inches on the MAF side at about 45 degrees to get it to fit perfectly.

The tube can be ordered from K&N 800 number and is 32.99 shipped. I have the part number if you want it. Cheaper option than the Airraid part If you don't mind modding. Gave me a reason to cut some things up
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I'm surprised those tears did not throw any codes/dash lights.

I've seen less than that light up the dash like a Christmas tree!

Luckily the part stays fairly compressed when attached so I doubt much actually got pulled in, but I don't want to take any chances. I haven't had any CELs thankfully.

Hopefully there was a MaF screen after the duct to catch any rocks or rubber debris! I remember removing that screen on my Z28 because it seemed to increase airflow. It is such a nice back up to prevent catastrophe in events such as your's. also, it may help aerodynamics of the air into the engine! Does anyone know of a typical speed of the air movement between the filter and into the throttle butterfly? I kind of wonder can it get fast and shoot out the tailpipe really fast.

I don't think anything got in thanfully, and the MAF has a plastic waffle type "screen" wouldn't catch anything fine, but would probably stop a piece of rubber if needed. I used to have a 97 Z28 and remember reading about people removing the MAF screen for performance, but I was too chicken to do it.

I kind of wonder can it get fast and shoot out the tailpipe really fast.

Only if you also use a Turbonator: The Turbonator!

Easy install!

51axgUqTYXL_zpsog3j5sfs.jpg

laugh.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back