Anti-Seize vs. Loctite

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys ever wonder about that ? Those guys on YouTube are using Loctite on everything. I use anti-seize on everything those guys are using Loctite on. I get the threads real clean with a wire brush and then I take an acid brush and paint the threads silver with anti-seize. I have fun doing that.
smile.gif

Locktite has its purposes and the different compounds of Antiseize has its purposes. They are different.

Doesn't loctite prevent stuff from seizing due to rust? Is loctite actually anti seize, and nothing/rust actually loctite!???

"Am I so sane, that you just blew your mind!"

You're in California, what is going to seize?

I've never had a stuck bolt or nut before. Not a speck of rust on any cars here.

I wouldn't want to put Loctite on spark plugs and I also wouldn't want to put Anti-Seize on bolts that need to stay put or like to come loose. They have their applications.

Yea Merkava 4, I use a fair amount of AS.....my best estimate is probably just under an ounce a year. I bought, .22 ounces, the small tube of blue loctite about six years ago and probably have plenty left. I will usually never think about it unless I have noticed a bolt backing out. Like on a pushmower wheel and a HF torque wrench.

Nice of you taking the extra step of brushing the bolt clean first. I just removed water pump bolts and they were terrible. I think a mix of dried coolant, rust and thread sealant was on them. I wipe them well with a towel and paint them with antiseize until they look new. I feel it treats the metal, thst is why I mainly do it. But sometimes I use it as intended, like on lug nut studs and reduce torque a fair amount. I hate hearing creaking when loosening dry lugnuts. Also, on hub faces to prevent seizures is great.

As mentioned you sre in Cali, but I just cannot begin to understand how the salt belt survives as well as they do with doing less than we do and we rarely, if ever get snow and salts.

I'll give you guys an example of what I use anti-seize on:

- Lower control arm mounting bolts
- Hub assembly to steering knuckle bolts
- Brake caliper bracket to steering knuckle bolts
- Strut mount to steering knuckle bolts
- Lower ball joint to lower control arm bolts
- All engine and transmission mount bolts
- CV axle splines
- Lug nut studs

And like I said earlier, all the threads have to be clean like brand new before I
apply the anti-seize. I can't stand dirty or rusty threads on fasteners.

I fail to see the dilemma. Locktite goes on fasterners you can't afford to come loose, anti-seize goes on fasterners you want to be able to take apart without having to see a physical therapist the day after.

The dilemma is that everything I have listed, with the exception of the CV splines, the professional mechanics on YouTube are using Loctite on instead of anti-seize. I use anti-seize as a thread protectant more than I do as an anti-seize. I'm trying to prevent the threads from getting galled and the anti-seize does very well at that. It also adheres to the threads better than any grease does and doesn't attract dirt. It's almost like a plating of sorts after I brush on a thin coat.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
The dilemma is that everything I have listed, with the exception of the CV splines, the professional mechanics on YouTube are using Loctite on instead of anti-seize. I use anti-seize as a thread protectant more than I do as an anti-seize. I'm trying to prevent the threads from getting galled and the anti-seize does very well at that. It also adheres to the threads better than any grease does and doesn't attract dirt. It's almost like a plating of sorts after I brush on a thin coat.

And I still don't see a dilemma, since you are not forced to choose only one of the two products for all applications. You may choose whichever you see fit.

A for Loctite being used as a thread protectant, yes, I can see that, too. It's basically plastic goop that cures, so it keeps moisture out, unless you mean the dry, paint-like product, which would not coat all the threads. But you would want to clean all fasteners fastidiously from threadlocker residue after unfastening and before refastening.

Apply threadlocker to a nut and bolt and assemble. Do the same with antiseize on a nut and bolt. Hang your nut-bolt assemblies outdoors from a string over the winter. Disassemble, clean and inspect. Compare coirrosion. Take notes, pictures, post on BITOG.

You guys ever wonder about that ? Those guys on YouTube are using Loctite on everything. I use anti-seize on everything those guys are using Loctite on. I get the threads real clean with a wire brush and then I take an acid brush and paint the threads silver with anti-seize. I have fun doing that.
smile.gif

Totally different products and intended applications. BTW, applying anti seize is far from "fun" to me.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
A for Loctite being used as a thread protectant, yes, I can see that, too.

I don't think it prevents against galling near as well as anti-seize does. And by "galling," I mean scraping, abrading, tearing, bending, chipping, misaligning, or in general - wearing away the threads of a fastener. I believe it's in my best interest to decrease friction to the threads of a fastener, not increase it.

BRZED said:
I fail to see the dilemma. Locktite goes on fasterners you can't afford to come loose, anti-seize goes on fasterners you want to be able to take apart without having to see a physical therapist the day after. [/quote

yes real simple

why does this topic exist?

I'm not certain that I would call the mechanics on YouTube "professional"...

After all, our favorite poster, Joseph C. (AKA GHT, Technologs, MalfunctionProne, etc...) has videos on YouTube explaining how to SeaFoam a car, how to use paint thinner to clear a CEL...

I'll give you guys an example of what I use anti-seize on:

- Lower control arm mounting bolts
- Hub assembly to steering knuckle bolts
- Brake caliper bracket to steering knuckle bolts
- Strut mount to steering knuckle bolts
- Lower ball joint to lower control arm bolts
- All engine and transmission mount bolts
- CV axle splines
- Lug nut studs

And like I said earlier, all the threads have to be clean like brand new before I
apply the anti-seize. I can't stand dirty or rusty threads on fasteners.

What's your point? What does this have to do with your question?

Originally Posted By: JamesBond
Doesn't loctite prevent stuff from seizing due to rust? Is loctite actually anti seize, and nothing/rust actually loctite!???

"Am I so sane, that you just blew your mind!"
No. The Locktite in most common use contains a Superglue like substance and is used to keep fastners from getting loose. Now perhaps they also make an anti-seize and sell it under the Locktite name, but "Locktite" has never implied "easy to turn" to me, anyway.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Astro14
I'm not certain that I would call the mechanics on YouTube "professional"...

After all, our favorite poster, Joseph C. (AKA GHT, Technologs, MalfunctionProne, etc...) has videos on YouTube explaining how to SeaFoam a car, how to use paint thinner to clear a CEL...
ROFL!

Originally Posted By: CT8
Locktite has its purposes and the different compounds of Antiseize has its purposes. They are different.
I'd read the label first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back