EPA: VW Guilty of Second Violation for V-6 Diesels

Status
Not open for further replies.

wemay

Site Donor 2023
EPA: VW Guilty of Second Violation for V-6 Diesels, Including VW, Porsche, and Audi TDIs

http://blog.caranddriver.com/epa-vw-guil...-and-audi-tdis/

Quote:
Volkswagen, in a statement from Wolfsburg headquarters, denied allegations it had purposely cheated emissions on these engines.

“Volkswagen AG wishes to emphasize that no software has been installed in the 3-liter V6 diesel power units to alter emissions characteristics in a forbidden manner,” the company said. “Volkswagen will cooperate fully with the EPA [to] clarify this matter in its entirety.”

Porsche Cars North America tiptoed more cautiously over the subject.

“We are surprised to learn this information,” the sports-car maker said in a separate statement. “Until this notice, all of our information was that the Porsche Cayenne Diesel is fully compliant.”

EPA wants to kill non-commercial transport automotive diesel, just another page in their play book.

I think I'll go grille some meat creating some particulate emissions for a while. Before they go after grilling out.

The EPA's position on "clean diesel" automobiles is that they're making sure they don't succeed.

The EPA already knows what you want and need. They don't need any advice from you or scientific backup.

Originally Posted By: LoneRanger
EPA wants to kill non-commercial transport automotive diesel, just another page in their play book.

I think I'll go grille some meat creating some particulate emissions for a while. Before they go after grilling out.

But this one is actually VW's fault, though. Even their suppliers like Bosch warned VW that it was cheating and illegal.

There are plenty of non-cheating modern diesels. All they needed to do was add adblue, which the aforementioned non-cheaters all have.

Exactly, they want electric vehicles and they are going to have it so by hook.....or crook it would appear.

What struck me as interesting is that over the past several years or more when posting on a large well known independent VW forum site when posting ANYTHING positive about diesels there would be a certain group of "shills" that would zero in and start attacking in concert, when you tried to reply back to their nonsensical posts attacking diesels the site moderators would mysteriously put you on vacation for just a response while the shills would go on to do as they pleased even though THEY were clearly violating the TOS of the website. Just a coincidence? I doubt it.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: OneEyeJack
The EPA's position on "clean diesel" automobiles is that they're making sure they don't succeed.

The EPA already knows what you want and need. They don't need any advice from you or scientific backup.
+1

Why isn't USEPA satisfied with the European standard for diesel emissions?

Then there wouldn't be any problem.

The different US standard is just a barrier against the wholesale entry of European diesels into the US.

Too many people making too much money from all the gasoline being pumped every day in the US.

You have to be so proud of VW for the effort to build a good running vehicle.

If the V6 models use AdBlue, Id fund the EPA claims dubious and take a first guess that they tested outside of statistical conditions. There's no reason for a functioning AdBlue vehicle to play games.

Exactly.

Once a cheater always a cheater. Although I believe in second chances (because they've been granted to me).

Quote:
..We are surprised to learn this information..

And I'm forfeiting my CEO bonuses from the last 10 years as penance on principal!

Originally Posted By: SilverC6

Because the EU is in the business of strictly regulating CO and the EPA isn't.

Euro 6 - CO .5 g/mi

Tier 2 Bin 5 - CO 4.2 g/mi

By promoting Euro standards you're also supporting severe CO limits.

The different US standard is just a barrier against the wholesale entry of European diesels into the US.

Since VW's plight hinges on NOx output...

Euro 6 NOx - .08 g/mi

Tier 2 Bin 5 NOx - .07 g/mi

Where is the barrier?

I saw a school bus today that I thought was on fire at first. Nope probably just a cracked egr cooler. Never seen so much white smoke before. I see that a lot. Funny how the old clunker 30 year old diesel school buses my district still has here and there are still tooting along just fine. Frequently saw 6.4 powerstrokes blow white smoke, but you don't see many of those on the road anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember back near 2002 when everyone was buying the 7.3's like wildfire. They were proven.... prudent.

Originally Posted By: MrHorspwer

Because the EU is in the business of strictly regulating CO and the EPA isn't.

Euro 6 - CO .5 g/mi

Tier 2 Bin 5 - CO 4.2 g/mi

By promoting Euro standards you're also supporting severe CO limits.

Since VW's plight hinges on NOx output...

Euro 6 NOx - .08 g/mi

Tier 2 Bin 5 NOx - .07 g/mi

Where is the barrier?

Come on now. Why let facts ruin hyperbole?

I knew that was coming.....I wonder if it will sink them? I doubt it but only time will tell.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
If the V6 models use AdBlue, Id fund the EPA claims dubious and take a first guess that they tested outside of statistical conditions. There's no reason for a functioning AdBlue vehicle to play games.

Exactly.

It's still all about EGR. The SCR catalyst can convert only a fixed amount of NOX. Probably just another example of an under utilized EGR (i.e closed).

They are alleged...not guilty. They outright deny the V6's were tampered with.

This will be forgotten just like the numerous airbag recalls and ignition switch fires which IMO are a much bigger deal than emissions should ever be. This is considering automobiles contribute the least in the grand scheme of things, maybe they can start policing container ships...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back