At what point is it not worth working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
Quote:
Who knows, maybe Mr. Nice did grow up in a home with parents partying till 3 am most school nights and slapped him when he asked for something to take for lunch that day. And then he somehow got the grades and money to get to college for his nice GE job, but I doubt it.

I've been working since I was 15... unloading trucks with a pallet jack at 6 AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Today's child labor law would not allow that.

Yes. They would.

I see you live in Florida, where minors may work up to eight hours a day and six days a week. They may also work three nights a week when the following day is a school day.

Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Quote:
Who knows, maybe Mr. Nice did grow up in a home with parents partying till 3 am most school nights and slapped him when he asked for something to take for lunch that day. And then he somehow got the grades and money to get to college for his nice GE job, but I doubt it.

I've been working since I was 15... unloading trucks with a pallet jack at 6 AM on Saturday and Sunday mornings.
Today's child labor law would not allow that. No easy road for me but I worked very hard over the past 35 years.

OP: maybe move to a bigger city with better employment opportunities / salary ?
I know its tuff to move once your family has a house and is settled.

I was cleaning out chicken barns by fork and wheel barrow and slinging hay bales around at 14-15 too. Big deal, I had a full belly and 8 hrs of sleep and then my parents drove me to the farm in the winter, other wise I rode my dirtbike. Comparatively it was heaven to what the kids of drug addicts go through... I'm sure 99% of them would trade places with us as teenagers, 6am mornings and chicken manure included.

No, no NO! Don't you get it? They CHOOSE their situation. It's their FAULT for not being born white, middle class, with a stable family situation and parents that valued education.

Originally Posted By: otis24
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
To repeat my earlier suggestion about the original post. Run a scenario of your taxes with the third income removed and see what happens. Unless you qualify for some credits, it is mathematically incorrect to assume that removing income will increase your take home income. But if removing income puts you beyond a threshold where you qualify for EIC, etc. then it will make sense.

This guy gets it. That was exactly what I was proposing.
Can somebody show the actual numbers to support this assertion?

Originally Posted By: AlienBug
Originally Posted By: IndyIan
Quote:

Today's child labor law would not allow that. No easy road for me but I worked very hard over the past 35 years.

OP: maybe move to a bigger city with better employment opportunities / salary ?
I know its tuff to move once your family has a house and is settled.

I was cleaning out chicken barns by fork and wheel barrow and slinging hay bales around at 14-15 too. Big deal, I had a full belly and 8 hrs of sleep and then my parents drove me to the farm in the winter, other wise I rode my dirtbike. Comparatively it was heaven to what the kids of drug addicts go through... I'm sure 99% of them would trade places with us as teenagers, 6am mornings and chicken manure included.

No, no NO! Don't you get it? They CHOOSE their situation. It's their FAULT for not being born white, middle class, with a stable family situation and parents that valued education.

If a dog steps or falls into a mud hole, its smart enough to try to get itself out. Not wait on someone else to do it for them. I know plenty of people in this area who are content to get by on whatever gov't programs or handouts they can qualify for. There are plenty of places needing help. Every application for public assistance should be accompanied by an application for any known business needing help. Being white or middle class has nothing to do with it. When our welfare system is lucrative enough that people have more hope in staying on the dole rather than working, that is a sad commentary on our society. I blame the system morecthan I blame the people on welfare.

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Originally Posted By: otis24
Originally Posted By: Alfred_B
To repeat my earlier suggestion about the original post. Run a scenario of your taxes with the third income removed and see what happens. Unless you qualify for some credits, it is mathematically incorrect to assume that removing income will increase your take home income. But if removing income puts you beyond a threshold where you qualify for EIC, etc. then it will make sense.

This guy gets it. That was exactly what I was proposing.
Can somebody show the actual numbers to support this assertion?

No. But I will be able to do so when I file my taxes at the end of the year.

AlienBug,

You mentioned parents...

Both my immigrant parents came to the USA in the late 1950's with nothing and had to work hard or starve. Both barely spoke English and went to school at night, worked during the day.

Today immigrants have it A LOT easier since our government rolls out the red carpet with your tax dollars, same goes for 'cradle to grave' welfare folks refusing to work.

I have not read through this whole thread, so forgive me if I state what has already been said.

Bottom line: You cannot (realistically) Change the system. So don't waste your time bitc....complaining about how your government treats others.

If you do not like your lot in life, set about changing it!

If you are having a hard time getting by working 70 hours a week, something is wrong! You sure aren't living 'The American Dream' and the time you are spending away from your family IS LOST AND GONE FOREVER.

Your problem, I don't know. But here are some suggestions:

1) You make good money, but it doesn't seem to go far enough.

Answer) Look to see where the money is going. ie. When you are about to spend $X on and item, consider the time you would need to WORK to recoup that money. I might not seem such a good deal.
A $ saved is MORE than a $ earned!

2) Are your goals realistic?

As someone that came to the US from overseas I quickly learned that for most people, the American lifestyle only exists on TV and movies. Kudos for trying, but you might just want to adjust your standards (for the sake of your family) Don't get caught Keeping up with the Jones's.

3) Work Smart!

This might require the help of an accountant.
Is the effort YOU put into work putting money in YOUR pocket?
If not, where is it going. A) you have a rubbish occupation that just doesn't pay. B) Your efforts go to pay someone else. Such as your employer. C) You are paying more Tax than you absolutely have to.
Answers: A) Find another occupation, or compromise from what you want to do, to what you NEED to do. B) Get a better deal or branch out on your own. C) US tax is very complex. TALK TO A REAL ACCOUNTANT! Be prepared to adjust your life to reduce your tax burden (Work the tax write off's)

Bottom line. Working yourself to death or depriving you family of your presence is NOT a virtue. Unless you absolutely love your job less than 40 hr per week should do it. If not you may want to ask yourself Why?

Take advantage of system benefits like grants etc for job training/college to make a better living. Just collecting is lame but using to your advantage to lift off is a smart move and intention.

Step 1 maybe not paying "taxman" but learning it enough to understand impacts. Case in point. My friend who has household income of near 450k/year did not pay a lawyer to fill immigration forms for parents to immigrate. Instead he read the laws and saved a $20k attorney fee. He works 35 hrs a week as dentist and has time to diy .

I believe strongly that taking advantage smartly of benefits offered is a good way to move. The corporate world thrives on this.

By my calculations, your third job is netting you less than $7.50 an hour. If you cannot make on the first two jobs........You need to cut expenditures.

You should have all your bases covered, with two jobs. I understand that job #2 is pretty lucrative, so it is worth the effort. Job #3 is not worth it.

As an old retired guy, there is no way on this green earth I would work for less than $20 an hour. Unless it was pure joy. In which case, I would do it for free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back