Buying straight crude

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think I would like to purchase a quart or two of straight from the ground, crude petroleum. I would like to collect and keep one of them and the other I would probably analyze it or something.

Would this likely pose any kind of health hazard, ie. fumes, carcinogen like used oil is on he skin, etc?

Also, where and how would I find some?

I have no idea where you can get crude oil from, but yes, there are numerous hazards associated with it, including flammability, toxicity and carcinogenicity.

Yep, it's a bad idea, there is all sorts of carcinogenic junk in that multi million year old organic matter.

Get some coal tar soap/shampoo...it's not the best for you, but does smell pretty good, and good for Eczema type conditions.

You might be able to get some in a vial from the gift shop of a museum in Oil City, PA or Oklahoma somewhere.

The Lac Megantic train wreck taught us that crude is more volatile than some previously expected. Shoot, it's half gasoline.

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28

Short answer, Texas

And how exactly would YOU do analysis on it? The equipment to do it is VERY expensive and sensitive, and a UOA isn't going to do much of value if that's along the lines of what you're thinking...

Your best bet would be to call a university down there in Texas or Alaska and somehow wiggle the extra amount from a sample that they get from the companies.

I find it interesting how many posters have acted like crude is radiiactive. Well, not radioactive but with that level if fear. Correct me if i am wrong but didnt a recent Gulf of Mexico accident send millions of gallons of crude right into our oceans? If a quart is so dangerous why are we not at the seashore falling on our knees and rending our clothing?

Originally Posted By: madRiver
It would be great to add to the pipe you are smoking then posting.

crackmeup2.gif

Originally Posted By: camrydriver111
Originally Posted By: madRiver
It would be great to add to the pipe you are smoking then posting.

crackmeup2.gif

merk ---- is that you ?

Originally Posted By: mmavet
BP paved the Gulf of Mexico with a few million gallons...business as usual in America.
Are you aware of how much crude seeps naturally into the Gulf?

I think I would like to purchase a quart or two of straight from the ground, crude petroleum. I would like to collect and keep one of them and the other I would probably analyze it or something.

Would this likely pose any kind of health hazard, ie. fumes, carcinogen like used oil is on he skin, etc?

Get ya one of those ice augers and some extra extensions for the bit. Honda powered would be good, you'll be at it for a while.

Originally Posted By: HerrStig
BP paved the Gulf of Mexico with a few million gallons...business as usual in America.

And are you aware the large volcano on Antarctica puts more CO2 into the air each day than we are releasing.

Last edited:

Ask Jed Clampet to bottle up a few quarts.

I'm 100% sure you're just posting this question because you don't have anything else to post, but if you're actually serious you would have found places to buy some with a simple Google search. I found a couple with my first search, one place selling a 2-gallon sample and the other one selling a small quantity.

Originally Posted By: Hermann
Originally Posted By: HerrStig

And are you aware the large volcano on Antarctica puts more CO2 into the air each day than we are releasing.
Do you understand the FIRST word in "BP" is "BRITISH"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back