Predicting the Liife of Rolling Element Bearings

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was reading up on some Turbo Commander suppliers when I came across this article and another, linked within, on "Load Model". It's a fairly straightforward read on some lubrication and wear matters we touch on frequently here. EPI has also been deeply involved in reduction gearbox design as well as conversion of automotive engines for aviation use. At any rate I thought some others might find interest.

http://www.epi-eng.com/mechanical_engineering_basics/durability_of_rolling_element_bearings.htm

Just wait until folks will exhaust where we go after we die thread.. Thank you for sharing.

If you are interested in bearing life predictions, go to the SAE and do a search on "Bearing Life."

There's many many papers on predicting bearing life. Very Interesting.

Another consideration is rolling bearing lubrication, which in jet turbines the lubrication system is different with the bearing "cells" isolated:

Quote:
The rotor bearings used in turbofan engines are ball bearings and roller bearings. They are located within sealed bearing compartments. Oil supplied by the pressure pump is directed through individual supply lines and sprayed on the bearings through one or more nozzles per bearing...The oil-wetted areas are only inside the bearing compartments. The oil has no contact to the rotor components outside the bearing compartments and to the gas path. To ensure this the walls of the bearing compartments are sealed against the rotating shafts. For this sealing two types of seals are used: The carbon seal and the labyrinth seal...

The Type 3 jet turbine oils are typically 5.3 cSt@100C oils and have a BV higher than 12,000 centistokes at a temperature of -40° C.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back