Cleaning Glass?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always struggled a little with getting glass (especially the interior side) clean.

I used to use microfiber rags, but they will often leave little "hairs" on the glass, which are annoying, especially at night when they catch the light.

I switched to crumpled up newspaper, but I don't really like using that, as it tends to rip and I worry about scratching the glass.

I use Sprayway or Stoner's glass cleaner, I don't really think it's the cleaner that's the problem, but my technique or the rags. Especially with windshields, where it can be hard to reach the full area on certain vehicles.

What do you guys use to clean glass?

Stoners invisible glass cleaner should give very good results.
Don't use windex if there is tint film on the windows.

With regard to microfiber. I also used to struggle with pieces of lint remaining behind until I started to use microfiber glass cleaning cloths designed specifically for cleaning glass.
They absolutely have no nap, but are a woven cloth which perform superbly.

For tight places in the bottom corners of the windscreens and rear windows where the angles are too tight to get your fingers into, I use a Stoners invisible glass "Reach and Clean Tool" Part number 95161. Works every time.

Last edited:
try going back to cotton rags, especially if you've washed and dried them, your drier should take care of the lint.

The cleaner should be taking care of the cleaning, so the cotton's just to remove the product, so nap is not needed.

Last edited:
Ok Bob5150

The interior side of the windshield is a pretty painful task. I try to avoid it, especially if cleaning someone else's vehicle because it kind of takes time to complete.

I thinkonce you do get it clean and transparent you can just do some here and some there over the years. Since it is facing downward it doesnt get much grime, unless you touch it.

But here is kind of how I do it, even though it could be different every time.

First get a towel, rag, paper, microfiber, or whatever and sparingly use window cleaner (ammonia free for automobiles). Then scrub or bare down if you must and gradually buff or wipe until a wet teail disappears as you wipe. This may indicate you have the proper wetness- as too much, of course, will just slosh around and eave dried water spots and not enough may feel dry and scratchy.

Call it a day, but carry a large clean absorbent towel with you. One thing I have noticed about a clean windshield is it will fog up when the temperatures and/or humidity levels are just so. When this happens, use your large towel to get every last bit of moisture from the windshield.

After all of this, hopefully it wont cross your mind again until someone starts a thread on Bob about it. Wink wink

Originally Posted By: mjoekingz28
I thinkonce you do get it clean and transparent you can just do some here and some there over the years. Since it is facing downward it doesnt get much grime, unless you touch it.

Gassing out plasticizers coat especially the inside of the wndshield. That goes on for years before tapering off as the plastic ages. Also, air is not clean and will cause haze on glass over time, although CAFs help.

There are nano repellents available that can be applied inside an ouside.

I use those blue mechanic shop towels and invisible glass. Takes the dirt off very well, i do two passes..first one with light mist to take off the dirt and once more to make sure i got all the dirt.

Originally Posted By: Ducman
Stoners invisible glass cleaner should give very good results.
Don't use windex if there is tint film on the windows.

With regard to microfiber. I also used to struggle with pieces of lint remaining behind until I started to use microfiber glass cleaning cloths designed specifically for cleaning glass.
They absolutely have no nap, but are a woven cloth which perform superbly.

For tight places in the bottom corners of the windscreens and rear windows where the angles are too tight to get your fingers into, I use a Stoners invisible glass "Reach and Clean Tool" Part number 95161. Works every time.

This! Or try cleaning with with your back to the front from the passenger seat.
And clean on a more frequent basis. Seems easier to maintain a clear winshield vs waiting for it to hazed up.

Look up boiling microfibers. I had the microfibers linting before, but boiled them in a pot 1 or 2 at a time before tossing them in the washing machine. Just a load of microfibers by themselves. Then in the dryer on low heat with no fabric softener sheets or anything, just microfibers. No more linting. And I use Stoner Invisible Glass. I've found cleaning the glass twice in a row works best.

Originally Posted By: Rolla07
I use those blue mechanic shop towels and invisible glass. Takes the dirt off very well, i do two passes..first one with light mist to take off the dirt and once more to make sure i got all the dirt.

Same here, I use blue mechanic shop towels and BonAmi foam, 2 passes and not much lint left behind versus paper towels.

Last edited:
For the inside, there are specialized microfiber towels for glass, which feel smoother than the normal microfiber towels. If the inside is basically clean, with just the hazing from dash outgassing or chemical products used inside, a quick buff with this special microfiber does a fantastic job. Just for that purpose, now, I keep one in the glove box.

Originally Posted By: mlatour
Same here, I use blue mechanic shop towels and BonAmi foam, 2 passes and not much lint left behind versus paper towels.

I knew as soon as you said Bon Ami and glass cleaning in the same sentence, you're from Canada, without reading your location. You are going to confuse the heck out of the Americans in this thread.

Bon Ami in the USA is much like Comet.

I picked up a microfiber rag for cleaning glass yesterday, and it did a fantastic job with the Stoner's. I am going to keep that one separate from the other microfibers and use it only on glass.

Originally Posted By: Bob5150
I picked up a microfiber rag for cleaning glass yesterday, and it did a fantastic job with the Stoner's. I am going to keep that one separate from the other microfibers and use it only on glass.

That is exactly the combo that I use. I also spray the cleaner on the rag and then wipe the window...vs. spraying the window and then drying with a clean rag.

I'm not a detailing expert, but recently I watched a YouTube video that suggested using a "magic eraser" to take care of troubled interior glass. Wow, this thing works!

I've had some interior glass, particularly in the 1975 BMW that would never get clean, for years, until I hit it with the magic eraser. There is a little more to it, after the magic eraser it's wise to use your normal glass cleaner like the products you mention here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back