2000 cavalier p0440

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone I have a cavalier I am trying to sell for step dad it was his dad's car and he passed away. The code is p0440 I can actuate purge and vent solenoids and no leaks doing a smoke test . There is a plastic hose running beside and down the tank and it would vent the smoke after a couple minutes of smoke testing then it would stop and after a minute or so do it again . All help is appreciated.

I just fixed this same problem on my 2002 Cavalier 2.2 OHV (pushrod) engine. It ended up being the canister vent valve in the back of the car near the canister on the right. I replaced the purge valve first, which is located just under the intake manifold. The light came back on in a few days. The vent valve is on the right side rear of the car. These are 25 dollar parts. I ended up throwing 50 bucks worth of parts at it and saved a 150 dollar shop bill. I remember reading about the same symptoms you're experiencing and it was their vent valve also. When it goes bad it does some screwy things.

Last edited:
Well everyone I did the vent valve yesterday after 80 miles of driving the light came back this morning . I thought it would be the vent valve to
frown.gif

Gas cap, purge valve under the intake manifold. Unless there is a leak (which the smoke test should have found) that's pretty much all it could be. Check your wiring harnesses, esp in the back for broken wires.

Could the purge valve cause what it was doing? I can actuate it with a scan tool and hear it click on and off as I actuate it

I'm not an expert, just a shade tree. I'm stumped on this issue. I would maybe throw that one part at it (Purge solenoid) before I took it to the shop.

Well I am the shop but I work with a bunch of ford techs and I'll admit I don't know everything, the wiring is good I verified that and I have no leaks.

Ase technician but that doesn't mean I know everything. I rarely work on Chevy cavaliers you just don't see them. Every car is different. And I like getting other opinions from people more experienced with these cars than myself. But yes I am an ase certified technician.

My Cavalier has had this and it was the gas cap... I haven't had any codes since hooking up HP Tuners. LOL

This code sets because the evap system is unable to maintain the required level of vacuum during a leak down test.

Most common causes are bad gas cap, hoses/lines and fuel filler neck being rusted and not letting the cap seal.

If you smoked it and nothing came out of the evap canister, then I focus on the above.

No I haven't. Haven't had time to mess with it. My guess is maybe the purge valve. But I'm not certain. Could be a bad ftps I suppose .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back