Snow blower auger gear case grease

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a big Troy-Bilt Storm 1345 snow blower. Getting it out and doing some tune-up before the snow starts flying. They say to use Shell Alvania grease in the auger gear case. Are there equivalent or even better grade greases I could use instead?

I used the second link for my snowblower last year. I got it at Sears but had to order it.

ALCO’S SUPER-LUBE EP-O GREASE

Sounds like there are multiple different products that could work. Anything special I should be looking for? What makes the Alvania different from a general-purpose automotive grease?
I can get the stuff the manual recommends but it's around $20 for 8 oz. which seemed steep to me...

I have Troy-Bilt Vortex 2490. All it says in the manual is,"Spray lubricant inside the shafts and around the spacers and the flange bearings/bushings found at either end of the shafts." I'm going with WD40.

Originally Posted By: Tundragod
I have Troy-Bilt Vortex 2490. All it says in the manual is,"Spray lubricant inside the shafts and around the spacers and the flange bearings/bushings found at either end of the shafts." I'm going with WD40.
That's not the gear box though. But the plastic 'bearings' on the auger ends.

Gearbox needs a 000 grease. It's a semi liquid.

[/quote]That's not the gear box though. But the plastic 'bearings' on the auger ends.

Gearbox needs a 000 grease. It's a semi liquid.[/quote]

I see. The only other thing I see in the manual to be lubricated is the "The gear (hex) shaft should be lubricated at least once a season. Apply a very light coating of engine oil (or 3-in-1 oil) to the hex shaft."

I see. The only other thing I see in the manual to be lubricated is the "The gear (hex) shaft should be lubricated at least once a season. Apply a very light coating of engine oil (or 3-in-1 oil) to the hex shaft."
Normally the gearbox would never be opened. So unless it leaks out or is repaired then no grease would be needed.

Far better of going with Corrosion X. Does not turn to varnish the same way common oils, even wd-40 does.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back