Cartridge filter housing leak - Toyota V6

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah that upside down spin on filter is a mess. GM has it right with the Ecotecs.

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
This is why I will not buy a car with under engine oil filter canister.

I'm sorry, I didn't read your post completely, I just read "I will not buy ... oil filter canister", I skipped "under engine"

You don't have experience with German cartridge filter housing.

The best part of owning Mercedes-Benz and previous BMW vehicles is easy oil change.

Cartridge filter housing is on top of the engine, easy to change without any mess. Oil dipstick tube is design to use a fluid extractor, more oil can be siphon than drain.

All works can be done without getting under the car, you should be able to do oil+filter change with dress cloth.

Everytime I change oil+filter of my other cars I cursed the manufactures for not doing what MB and BMW had it done many many years ago.

The complicated part of the Toyota system is all the crazy draining junk.

When I was car shopping, I was more concerned about finding a car without direct injection.

The Venza oil changes are fairly simple after you do the first one.
The Bosch filter comes with a screw in drain valve vs. the OEM snap in drain valve, much easier to drain the filter.

Originally Posted By: aualtima3.5
Hello,

I just bought a new camry and changed the oil around 800 miles, along with the filter. It uses the cartridge type filter. I am using OEM filter and gaskets.

The filter housing is leaking, even after replaced the filter housing gasket with two new OEM gaskets. I am certain it's the housing, not the drain plug.

The gasket is in the right spot, and I am not picking it off so to gouge the metal housing. It drips very little, I can barely see a drop accumulate - maybe a drop every few minutes. Will it just stop in time? I am at a loss here. Does anyone have experience with this?

Are you sure its not the residual oil left below the o-ring leaking down after you install the housing?

Because this sounds just like the first time I changed our Sienna's oil (same engine as your Camry). Changing the oil filter creates such a mess that, after you install the new filter and run the engine, all of the residual oil from the filter change (below the o-ring) drains out of the housing. I thought it was leaking and changed the filter/O-ring AGAIN. Same thing happened again so I went for a 15 minute drive, came back and there was no leak or residual oil anywhere. You just need to heat the engine up so the residual oil will drain out/burn off.

Just a complicated design thats frustrating before you realize whats going on.

Since then I now run Fram Ultras for 20,000 miles to avoid the filter change headache. Its still a pita because even though I know whats going on, I still have to drive around for 15 minutes to get rid of the residual oil to be sure there isn't really a leak with the filter housing.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Changing the oil filter creates such a mess that, after you install the new filter and run the engine, all of the residual oil from the filter change (below the o-ring) drains out of the housing.

Just wondering if you pre-drain the filter housing using the lower housing port, before you remove the whole housing?
I never see residual oil leaks after I change the oil on my Venza V6.

Originally Posted By: stranger706
Originally Posted By: aualtima3.5
Hello,

I just bought a new camry and changed the oil around 800 miles, along with the filter. It uses the cartridge type filter. I am using OEM filter and gaskets.

The filter housing is leaking, even after replaced the filter housing gasket with two new OEM gaskets. I am certain it's the housing, not the drain plug.

The gasket is in the right spot, and I am not picking it off so to gouge the metal housing. It drips very little, I can barely see a drop accumulate - maybe a drop every few minutes. Will it just stop in time? I am at a loss here. Does anyone have experience with this?

Are you sure its not the residual oil left below the o-ring leaking down after you install the housing?

Because this sounds just like the first time I changed our Sienna's oil (same engine as your Camry). Changing the oil filter creates such a mess that, after you install the new filter and run the engine, all of the residual oil from the filter change (below the o-ring) drains out of the housing. I thought it was leaking and changed the filter/O-ring AGAIN. Same thing happened again so I went for a 15 minute drive, came back and there was no leak or residual oil anywhere. You just need to heat the engine up so the residual oil will drain out/burn off.

Just a complicated design thats frustrating before you realize whats going on.

Since then I now run Fram Ultras for 20,000 miles to avoid the filter change headache. Its still a pita because even though I know whats going on, I still have to drive around for 15 minutes to get rid of the residual oil to be sure there isn't really a leak with the filter housing.

Well, after a new OEM oil filter housing came in to my dealer, I removed the original (~880 miles on the factory housing) and discovered a small U shaped scratch on the large O-ring seating surface for the filter side. Also discovered a burr on the engine side, but it doesn't seem to affect o-ring sealing. Not sure if I put the scratch there, but I will assume supplier/Toyota isn't metal tools for o-ring install/rework...

After cleaning both the new oil filter housing and the block side repeatedly with a clean rag, I used conventional oil for lubrication of the seals this go around. I had zero o-ring 'chatter' on install, unlike my last two attempts.

After about 10 miles of accelerator heavy errand running, no leak. Root cause: Scratched oil housing. Thank God it wasn't the engine side; it looks like it requires engine removal to do that one right.

I am looking to buy a plastic pick or maybe keeping a spare filter housing around after this. I was EXTREMELY careful and found this was still an easy job to mess up. The filter housing was $33 after tax.

Not a fan of this design. More environmentally friendly, but after burning through 3 filters/seals/drain tubes, not sure how much sense it makes
shocked.gif

Thanks for this thread and follow-up, Aultima.

It really stands out as one of the better, more helpful threads we've seen here lately.

Last edited:
Interesting stuff. Is the O-ring really that hard to take off? If it's hard to take off that increases the risk of damaging the housing.

On my BMW which also has a cartridge filter the O-ring comes off super easy. I really like this design.

Last edited:
So you had a scratch in the plastic housing of a new car that caused the leak?

Interesting.

I just changed oil in a rav4 today that has the same setup.

The only thing I was worried about was using a Wix filter and wix gaskets, that they were not the same quality as OEM. They went in fine with no leaks.

Lube all the gaskets with motor oil to keep them from moving around when you spin the housing on.

It is a few more steps than a spin on filter but honestly it is not too bad after you do it a few times. Remember these cars have 10k drain intervals, so you won't be changing all but once or twice a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back