2003 Hyundai Elantra GT Alignment Concerns???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello everyone,

Yesterday I took my 2003 Hyundai Elantra to a local tire shop for a complete four wheel alignment after installing a new tie rod on the front driver side (inner and outer). The shop did a four wheel alignment using the 2016 Hunter Express Align Total Alignment for $55 with 30 days warranty included. The mechanic recommended a camber kit for the left and right rear to bring the camber numbers to Hyundai specs for $130 parts and labor included. He said this helps keep the rear wheels align perfect and prevent uneven tire wear. My questions/concerns are do I need to make further front camber and caster adjustments and if so what kit do I need? Also, do I really need the rear camber kit installed to bring the rear camber numbers to Hyundai specs? This is the first time I ever did a alignment since purchasing the car in 2009 so I don't know what to really look for. Thank you guys so much for your help and advice. Here are the before and after specs of the alignment.

Before Alignment:

LF Camber: -0.5, LF Caster: 3.2, LF Toe: 1.30, Total Toe Front: 0.97, Steer Ahead Front: 0.81, RF Camber: -0.4, RF Caster: 2.7, RF Toe: -0.33, LR Camber: -1.8, LR Toe: -0.17, Total Toe Rear: 0.27, Rear Thrust Angle: -0.31, RR Camber: -1.6, RR Toe: 0.44.

After Alignment:

LF Camber: -0.5, LF Caster: 3.2, LF Toe: -0.03, TT Front: -0.05, SA Front: 0.00, RF Camber: -0.3, RF Caster: 2.7, RF Toe: -0.03, LR Camber: -1.9, LR Toe: 0.17, Total Toe Rear: 0.35, Thrust Angle Rear: 0.00, RR Camber: -1.5, RR Toe: 0.18.

I would not worry too much about camber. As a Hyundai dealer I can tell you we have never installed or recommended installing a camber kit.
The proper repair for non-adjustable camber that is way out of spec would be rear arm replacement.

Last edited:
I wouldn't bother with ther rear camber at 2, though I wouldn't run that much toe-in back there with that much negative camber. I'd have the rear toe minimized to less than 0.3 deg total
( IIRC Most Hunter Las-R-Liner display toe in fractional degress?)

Also check for cause of excessive neg camber - this may be rear spring sag rather than LCA bushing wear.
Maybe U just need a couple cheap new rear springs
smile.gif
Do you carry passengers often or substantial weight in the trunk?

The only things I carry in the trunk are several cases of bottled water and groceries from time to time. I rarely have passengers with me in the rear when I'm driving so I don't know what really causing the rear cambers to be out of spec. Are the front camber and caster specs good or do they need to be adjusted any further? I do know that the car will need new tires soon as I'm currently running 195/65/15 Continental Pro Contact with 40 psi all around. The new tires will be 195/60/15 with 30 psi as Hyundai specifies.

Last edited:
Front camber is excellent, cross caster is a little bit high but not excessive. Unless they had the aligner calibrated, all readings will not be correct anyway. Our local Nissan dealer in Portsmouth has the aligner cal'd at least 1x/year and the difference is substantial. I actually have the documents of the cal b4/actual sheet somewhere and reading this, if you had a car aligned with the aligner way out of cal you would get a bad alignment. The machine can tell lies.

I think 40 psi is excessive on the current tires. I would not lower them though as they have now "taken a set" and they will wobble if you let >3 psi air out. Base Contis are not that great - I have them on my Rogue. I think they are just rebranded defunct Uniroyal.

Last edited:
I will be taking the car back to the tire shop Saturday for a alignment check and inspection since it is now pulling to the right in the front when driving. When I let go of the steering wheel to see if the car will drive straight, it tends to pull to the right quickly after about 3 to 4 seconds. I do have a 30 days warranty to correct problems and make adjustments with the alignment. Do you guys think the rear camber kit could help things out or should I just leave it alone and be happy with the results? Thanks so much for all of the help and advice!

Last edited:
This is a Hyundai trait apparently. My Gen Coupe has done this since day one. When I took it in to the dealer during the first week I had it all they would do is say it's within factory specs.

They even have a TSB on it.

SUSPENSION SYSTEM
08-SS-004
AUGUST, 2008
ALL

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2R9oQ1UwB-HVEtXa3l4el9QZFk/view?usp=sharing

Here is a check sheet from The Tire rack on tire pull.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2R9oQ1UwB-HYXVqU2NlRUpraDA/view?usp=sharing

And also read up on the SAI adjustments.

http://www.cdxetextbook.com/steersusp/wheelsTires/alignFund/steeringaxis.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back