My fun experience with Seafoam and K&N

Status
Not open for further replies.
About two months ago I went to use one of the cans of Seafoam that have the spray straw attachment (similar to the 3M fuel system spray) Like this and when inserting the straw, I did so in between the MAF and air tubing instead of right up against the throttle plate because I was having problems moving stuff around and had been working all day, not thinking clearly at this point. So, after using the kit and smoking it out and what not, I went about my business. Well, about a week later I went to check my air filter and realized that the seafoam hadn't all sprayed into the throttle body (even though I had someone keeping the revs elevated while spraying) and some backflowed onto my K&N air filter (luckily had gone past the MAF sensor instead of all over it). This resulted in a portion of the filter being "bleached" and the material was clean and almost white and not covered in oil anymore which makes it even more useless than it already is. So I took it out and threw it in my toolbox (maybe even the trash) and put one of my backup paper filters in after cleaning up the now sticky/oily intake box and what mess was left. Moral of the story, don't possibly ruin a $45 filter by not following directions, if I had put the straw where it said to, that wouldn't have happened. I could clean and re-oil the filter, but that's more trouble than it's worth especially since I just did that a couple months ago. However, I feel this was the push I needed to get rid of the K&N and I will now stick to paper filters forever. Cleaner intake and oil makes for a happy car, and K&N doesn't achieve that so well anyway. Thanks for reading, comments, questions, and stories welcome.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: CT8
The K@N air filters belong in the trash.

+1
I've come to learn that. There has been no discernible difference since I went back to paper either. And now that I realized I can get decent paper filters on Rockauto for <$5 each, it's hard to say you're saving money by keeping a reusable oiled filter.

Well I guess the last k&n I've been using for 50k+ is no good? I haven't cleaned it either. My guess is most people clean their k&n's much too often.

Originally Posted By: oliveoil
Well I guess the last k&n I've been using for 50k+ is no good? I haven't cleaned it either. My guess is most people clean their k&n's much too often.

Q: Why haven't you cleaned it?
A: It doesn't get dirty.

Q: Why doesn't it get dirty?
A: It doesn't filter anything.

Originally Posted By: edhackett

^^^Maybe it's just me being tired @ 4a.m., but....

crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Btw, I'm stealing this...

Originally Posted By: edhackett
Originally Posted By: oliveoil

Well, it does get a bit dinged up from all the rocks flowing through it...
;^)

Originally Posted By: Ga129

+1
I've come to learn that. There has been no discernible difference since I went back to paper either. And now that I realized I can get decent paper filters on Rockauto for div>

K&N is bad on filtering small micron dust, but lousy paper filter will also choke performance. So better to get genuine OE paper filter nowadays.

I guess my Neon should implode any day now.

K&N filter has been on for 100,000 miles, last cleaned at about 50k.

Originally Posted By: kr_bitog
Originally Posted By: Ga129

+1
I've come to learn that. There has been no discernible difference since I went back to paper either. And now that I realized I can get decent paper filters on Rockauto for div>

K&N is bad on filtering small micron dust, but lousy paper filter will also choke performance. So better to get genuine OE paper filter nowadays.

I can't remember the brand name, but the filters I got are comparable to champ or fram filters. Pretty standard looking. Actually did buy champ filters for the wife's car. No complaints, no real difference from K&N really. If anything fuel economy has gotten better since going back to paper. Performance is a non-issue because that car doesn't have any performance to offer
crackmeup2.gif
haha.

Originally Posted By: racer12306
I guess my Neon should implode any day now.

K&N filter has been on for 100,000 miles, last cleaned at about 50k.

From my understanding and what people on bitog say, the more miles on those filters, the better they filter particulates. The dust and pollen around here is so fine though that I couldn't tell what was actually being filtered before I messed up the filter.

I've had a k&n in my jeep since I started to drive since high school... Now all these years later 241,500 miles later my jeep is still going.

The filter allows for more air than paper filters. As for filtering.... That's what the oil is for that is added to the mesh. TO TRAP DIRT.

Why do people hate something that they don't even use!!!!

I hate Obama. I don't hate K&N. 15yrs later my jeep doesn't have any internal engine problems that required to be overhauled ...

Originally Posted By: southernjeeper
I've had a k&n in my jeep since I started to drive since high school... Now all these years later 241,500 miles later my jeep is still going.

The filter allows for more air than paper filters. As for filtering.... That's what the oil is for that is added to the mesh. TO TRAP DIRT.

15yrs later my jeep doesn't have any internal engine problems that required to be overhauled ...
Why do people back something up without proof? I'm not trying to aggravate you, but ask honest questions. Have you done UOAs to prove that K&N filter is filtering equal to or better than a paper filter? How much extra air is that Jeep getting? It's definitely not a Corvette or performance car, the gain can't be worth it...

I have used K&N (previous owner installed) on an LT1 Camaro in the past. Looking back, if I wanted more air, I would have modified it in a different way. Instead of investing in a rock catcher, I would have modified the airbox to accept a larger paper filter...
49.gif

I hate Obama. I don't hate K&N. 15yrs later my jeep doesn't have any internal engine problems that required to be overhauled ...

And you can confirm any of this how?

You make me laugh. Gravel trap air filter on an engine that does t need it and you think you've got a win.
Meanwhile your oil analysis would show high silica(sand) but because you don't have data you don't even know it.
More air. For a tractor engine. Hilarious.

Why do u say its a gravel trapper?

Does your paper trap rocks too?

Well, first what's a UOA. Spell it out.

For y'all that are gung oh on doing analysis on everything from cutting oil filters to testing everything and all... That's just anal.

To drive anything with an internal combustion engine we don't need to know the inner workings like that unless you are that type of person or that bored.

I generally clean the K&n every year. I dint it as much as I once did all because of the safety of driving a newer vehicle with airbags.
It's a farm jeep and would be used more if wanted now but it's lasted since me being a guy and 16 years old when I started driving it.

I can say the company started something great when they were introduced those some odd years of theirs. It may be not the best to some to consider but for the money it was well worth it for me. If I never lifted my jeep my mileage would be better. Jeeps aren't necessarily aerodynamic but years back I was doing anything to help with better mpg's.

Oh well to the ones that bash their products.
Opinions are like bleep. Everybody has one, right?

Why do u say its a gravel trapper?

Does your paper trap rocks too?

Well, first what's a UOA. Spell it out.

For y'all that are gung oh on doing analysis on everything from cutting oil filters to testing everything and all... That's just anal.

To drive anything with an internal combustion engine we don't need to know the inner workings like that unless you are that type of person or that bored.

I generally clean the K&n every year. I dint it as much as I once did all because of the safety of driving a newer vehicle with airbags.
It's a farm jeep and would be used more if wanted now but it's lasted since me being a guy and 16 years old when I started driving it.

I can say the company started something great when they were introduced those some odd years of theirs. It may be not the best to some to consider but for the money it was well worth it for me. If I never lifted my jeep my mileage would be better. Jeeps aren't necessarily aerodynamic but years back I was doing anything to help with better mpg's.

Opinions are like bleep. Everybody has one, right?

Okay, is it just me, or what...?I was kinda hopin' that somebody was gonna jump out & yell, "Fooled ya," or some such thing... What to make of, "...but it's lasted since me being a guy." What in tarnation are you now, then? Begs the question...

John.

Originally Posted By: Reg# 43897
Okay, is it just me, or what...?I was kinda hopin' that somebody was gonna jump out & yell, "Fooled ya," or some such thing... What to make of, "...but it's lasted since me being a guy." What in tarnation are you now, then? Begs the question...

John.
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

As for southernjeeper, I guess I have to spell it out on everyone's behalf (and everyone needs to correct me if I'm wrong at any point). I'm also removing the quote function so all of his the quote is fully visible:
quote=southernjeeper
Why do u say its a gravel trapper? Because that is the largest contaminant the K&N is able to catch.

Does your paper trap rocks too? Why yes, it certainly does. Along with everything else your K&N allows through....

Well, first what's a UOA. Spell it out.If you have no idea what a UOA is after 11.5 years of being a member (07/05/04), I can't help you. I sense a troll...
Trolling.gif

For y'all that are gung oh on doing analysis on everything from cutting oil filters to testing everything and all... That's just anal. For those of y'all that are "gung oh" on defending garbage products like K&N air filters or LOS, wait sorry, Lucas Oil Stabilizer "and all"... That's just dumb. I also sense a LOS user....

To drive anything with an internal combustion engine we don't need to know the inner workings like that unless you are that type of person or that bored. Well, to each their own, but we'll remember this post if we see your Jeep broke down on the side of the road. What color is it? We'll also imagine how many contaminants got through that filter to make that happen.... This also implies you don't "know the inner workings" of that "internal combustion engine." Do you know where your blinker fluid is?

I generally clean the K&n every year. I dint it as much as I once did all because of the safety of driving a newer vehicle with airbags. We here at BITOG, darn I did it again, Bob is the Oil Guy, do not recommend "dint"ing your air filter. That generally compromises the structure of it. Wait, on second thought, it may be an improvement. Nevermind. Just don't make any sudden movements in the vehicle, as it may aggravate the K&N gods and it may send K&N shrapnel through said air bags.
It's a farm jeep and would be used more if wanted now but it's lasted since me being a guy and 16 years old when I started driving it. It has lasted because you haven't driven it as much...since being a 16 year old guy. This implies you are at least 17, and that you are a woman (trans-gender?). This may explain why you don't "know the inner workings of an internal combustion engine" like most other women (not being sexist, just stating facts.)

I can say the company started something great when they were introduced those some odd years of theirs. It may be not the best to some to consider but for the money it was well worth it for me. Why yes, they did start a great cash cow, that you were fooled into assisting. If I never lifted my jeep my mileage would be better. This implies you aren't getting better mpgs. Contradicting information to your next sentence. Jeeps aren't necessarily aerodynamic but years back I was doing anything to help with better mpg's.

Opinions are like bleep. Everybody has one, right?" Yep, opinions are like bleep. At least ours don't smell like cash cow seep. That's why we don't put K&Ns on our Jeep. With the extra cash in our pockets, we'll be able to sleep.

Originally Posted By: Clevy
More air. For a tractor engine. Hilarious.
Now, now Clevy, in his (her?) defense, it was said:
It's a farm jeep
They probably thought they needed extra horse-power (get it
wink.gif
) for that tractor. "Wait, AND it gets more meters per gallon?!?"
crackmeup2.gif

Edit: From my previous post:
Originally Posted By: tony1679
I sense a LOS user....
Wait, he is a Lucas user!!!! Look at the sig!
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif
crackmeup2.gif

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back