Thinking of getting a Dog

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking about getting a Blue Eyed Siberian Husky. What are your thoughts on these dogs? It will be a family pet, an inside dog. I'm hesitant as I am a stickler for keeping the house clean.

I've found some puppies with papers and all their shots for $250-300

My friend has two and he highly recommends them.

Im partial to Doberman Pinches as they are fantastic family dogs that you can trust and they will be super protective and very very smart the only drawback is when they go it will take you down they are truly your best friend..

Huskys are great also but the Dobies will die for you.

You are better off with an older housetrained dog from the pound. I've grown up with dogs, my youngest is 1, I had forgotten how much work and damage a puppy can do! Chewed shoes, blankets, couch, carpet.

Grooming and bathing as well as temperament and exercise needs should be considered. A dog is a long term purchase. There is nothing worse that a stupid dog. A smart dog is a pleasure.

Golden retriever. Hands down the most versatile dog ever,great with kids. The huskies I've been around have all been neurotic even in adulthood, they need a ton of excercise and shed worse than anything I've ever seen.

If you are a stickler for keeping the house clean then I would pass. Anybody I know is always cleaning up after a dog.

John

From working with dogs in multiple capacities over the years there is a reason why the good old Labrador retriever is still number one. There's a reason why they're the go to die service and guide organizations, they really are special. I don't know why you'd want an aggressive breed as a family pet unless you specifically desire that trait.

Originally Posted By: donnyj08
I'm thinking about getting a Blue Eyed Siberian Husky. What are your thoughts on these dogs?

Do you like walking a lot?

I have a Husky Sharpei mix. So not a pure husky. Huskies are pack animals and love their pack, they also are known as escape artists. And they love to run. Keep the doors close!

Mine was initially dominant at four months old. We had him fixed, which helped, but just a little. His name is Teeko, which means Great Spirit in Inuit.

Our dog is very very loyal and protective of his pack, but he's not cuddly; however he loves being next to us and with us all the time. He suffers anxiety when we're not at home but we have a second dog which keeps him company.

I run him with my bicycle and he loves to run. He gets into "the zone" as he runs like all huskies do. Not at all the most intelligent dog but he has a great personality and is great with kids. Very patient with our kids.

My best advice is to attach him to you all the time when he is a puppy, even inside your house as you go about, and run or walk with him often. This is the best way for him to develop a bound with you. Works wonders.

Teeko is at my feet as I am typing this. Always around but never needy of attention... Great companion who loves and will protect your family with his life.

Enjoy.

Last edited:
Huskies are nice dogs, but require a lot of exercise, or they get bored and into trouble. A commitment to walking or running them every day helps burn off excess energy. Also, if a husky gets out of the yard, it may turn up miles away.

Don't listen to your friend as he is partial to the breed.

I hope your not leaning towards the breed based on looks.
My uncle is a Malamute and Husky lover.
Huskies are heavy shedders. Huskies make bad indoor dogs unless you don't mind the risk of getting your furniture chewed/torn. They need exercise, lots of exercise. Huskies act like Juvenile delinquents.

Originally Posted By: Icecube
I have a Husky Sharpei mix. So not a pure husky. Huskies are pack animals and love their pack, they also are known as escape artists. And they love to run. Keep the doors close!

Mine was initially dominant at four months old. We had him fixed, which helped, but just a little. His name is Teeko, which means Great Spirit in Inuit.

Our dog is very very loyal and protective of his pack, but he's not cuddly; however he loves being next to us and with us all the time. He suffers anxiety when we're not at home but we have a second dog which keeps him company.

I run him with my bicycle and he loves to run. He gets into "the zone" as he runs like all huskies do. Not at all the most intelligent dog but he has a great personality and his great with kids.

My best advice is to attach him to you all the time when he is a puppy, even inside your house as you go about, and run or walk with him often. This is the best way for him to develop a bound with you. Works wonders.

Teeko is at my feet as I am typing this. Always around but never needy of attention... Great companion who loves and will protect your family with his life.

Enjoy.
Terrible advice and you wonder why he has anxiety, and all dogs are inherently pack animals.

That is probably the worst breed recomendation for the qualifiers you mentioned. It seems like people like their blue eyes and well.

No wonder so many dogs end up surrendered. I'd get off this sight and go talk to some professional trainers. Just the few comments I've seen on this thread and it's no mystery why people get the worst possible match.

Your local shelter has homeless dogs that will be put down due to lack of space. Go there instead, and find one with a personality that matches yours. You'll end up with the right dog instead of the right-looking dog. You'll save a life too.

It's like getting a great Dane that have horrible temperaments because it's big, and that's all you want to know.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Your local shelter has homeless dogs that will be put down due to lack of space. Go there instead, and find one with a personality that matches yours. You'll end up with the right dog instead of the right-looking dog. You'll save a life too.

Oh so a dog from a breeder is less worthy of a life.
The best dog I've had happened to be from a breeder and i knew his full lineage and everything, i even knew if he was genetically prone to hip dysplasia. So i do recommend a breeder if its a breed you want and you've fully researched them. So sick of the self righteousness.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back