M1EP, 6228 miles 2014 Accord K24W1

Status
Not open for further replies.
2014 Honda Accord bought in August as a CPO vehicle with 9550 miles. The coolant overflow bottle was low so I wanted to make sure it wasn't getting into the engine. Dealer topped coolant off and it hasn't moved in 7500 miles.

I wanted to draw a sample out of the dipstick tube but the bends are too sharp for the tubing I had. I bought 29 quarts from AZ last year for a $1 so this oil change cost me $4.20. Refilled with EP. Filter was unchanged and is a Wix 57356XP.

MM just turned 40% which in Honda speak means 40-49% left. I will run the next fill to 15%MM with confidence. The MM to 0% is trending to 14k. 90% highway mileage 3k-4k miles/month. Engine rpm is under 2k at 70mph with the CVT

Lab is ALS/Wix/Napa kit bought from NAPA for $14 p/n 4077 and included TBN. 2 week turnaround time.

Code:
TIME ON UNIT 15802

TIME ON OIL 6228

OIL BRAND Mobil

OIL TYPE Mobil 1 EP

OIL GRADE 0W20

OIL ADDED No

FILTER Wix XP

OIL CHANGED Yes

Metals (ppm)

Iron (Fe) 9

Chromium (Cr)
Lead (Pb)
Copper (Cu) 4

Tin (Sn) 2

Aluminium (Al) 7

Nickel (Ni)
Silver (Ag)
Titanium (Ti)
Vanadium (V)
Contaminants (ppm)

Silicon (Si) 13

Sodium (Na) 13

Potassium (K) 1

Water (%)
Coolant No

Additives (ppm)

Magnesium (Mg) 606

Calcium (Ca) 1218

Barium (Ba)
Phosphorus (P) 609

Zinc (Zn) 699

Molybdenum (Mo) 88

Boron (B) 50

Physical Tests

Viscosity (cSt 100C) 8.3

Fuel (%)
Soot (%) Infrared
Physical / Chemical

Base Number (mgKOH/g) 5.0

Similar car and fill, but using a FU. I usually run about 10k, without UOA. After seeing this, I'm pretty comfortable.

Looks like Honda's DI is doing a good job of keeping the fuel out of the oil.

Last edited:
Looks good, especially as some break-in metals are still washing-out.

One thing though, 40% on Honda's oil life monitor means oil life remaining is between 31% and 40%, not 40% to 49%.

Originally Posted By: Danh
Looks good, especially as some break-in metals are still washing-out.

One thing though, 40% on Honda's oil life monitor means oil life remaining is between 31% and 40%, not 40% to 49%.

You are correct, I went the wrong way.

Run it to zero next time
banana2.gif

Changing M1EP so early is sacrilege! I go to 0% MM with PP in this engine (also 2014 Accord 4 cyl), which works out to about 9K. Once out of Honda warranty will try M1EP to 15K. It is less than 1 year for me and Mobil has a warranty for EP if you go 15K/1year.

Originally Posted By: dmiko
Changing M1EP so early is sacrilege! I go to 0% MM with PP in this engine (also 2014 Accord 4 cyl), which works out to about 9K. Once out of Honda warranty will try M1EP to 15K. It is less than 1 year for me and Mobil has a warranty for EP if you go 15K/1year.

You didn't read my post?

I was worried about coolant loss, plus I couldn't extract through the dipstick tube, plus it cost me $18 to change it including oil and analysis, plus the oil got recycled, plus I will go the full MM in the future.

Better read the fine print on the warranty...its 1yr/15k OR what the car manufacturer states.

It is 15K/1yr or what the car manufacturer states, whichever is longer.

"The Mobil 1 Extended Performance limited warranty is valid for 15,000 miles or your vehicle’s OEM recommended oil change interval, whichever is longer."

Warranty

I was not trying to be critical, just constructively supporting the notion that overall OCI can be extended.

DI engines usually only run super rich when the engine is cold so multiple short trippers are the ones at risk for high fuel contamination.

Who cares? Mobil 1 EP is $27 per 5 quarts. Not exactly super-expensive stuff.

Last edited:
90% highway mileage 3k-4k miles/month. Engine rpm is under 2k at 70mph with the CVT

That driving style and OLM should work extremely well together. Just keep an eye on the oil level and top off as needed.

I wonder if the OLM calculates intervals differently when the OCI includes/excludes the filter change.

4000 miles a month? Perfect candidate for microGreen 30k oil 10k filter interval, Amsoil bypass, Frantz bypass, or a Trasko. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3476856/AMSOIL_bypass_filter_install_2

I wonder how long the CVT will go before triggering a drain. This one triggered at 24k.
UOA CVTF

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
90% highway mileage 3k-4k miles/month. Engine rpm is under 2k at 70mph with the CVT

That driving style and OLM should work extremely well together. Just keep an eye on the oil level and top off as needed.

I wonder if the OLM calculates intervals differently when the OCI includes/excludes the filter change.

4000 miles a month? Perfect candidate for microGreen 30k oil 10k filter interval, Amsoil bypass, Frantz bypass, or a Trasko. http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3476856/AMSOIL_bypass_filter_install_2

I wonder how long the CVT will go before triggering a drain. This one triggered at 24k.
UOA CVTF

This Honda, like all of previous cars and bikes don't budge the oil level. My Ford V10 is the only burner at 1 qt/5k miles.

I already dumped the CVT FF (thx Mola) when I got the car at less than 10k, fluid was as clean as the new I poured in. No analysis. I will change it again when the MM signals to get on schedule. Filters are internal on the K24 CVT and it's a screen setup so probably a rock catcher.

Fillters are only $6 for a XG7317 so if I go 2 OCI's it's almost 25k miles. I think that's economical enough. I won't keep the car forever with this mileage. $2 Fram rebates make it an easy choice. I wanted to try the XP but I bet the car won't care. $30 for a microGreen means it would need to go 5x as long.

from the Honda white paper on their MM, there is no mention of the difference with filter change.

Originally Posted By: AccordK24

Who cares? Mobil 1 EP is $27 per 5 quarts. Not exactly super-expensive stuff.

I care - my time is not free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back