Kawasaki changed their oil recommendations

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just looking on the Kawasaki webpage and saw that they have updated and changed their oil recommendation chart. It shows that 10w40 has the widest operating range now. Too bad they don't have a 15w40 listed but I'm going to keep on rocking some Rotella.

New chart:
oil-chart.png

Old chart:
ztT3wzN.png

[URL]http://www.kawasakienginesusa.com/engine/accessories/kawasaki-4-cycle-engine-oil[/url]

Anyone have a new Kawai engine with anything other than 30w or 10w30 recommended on the dipstick?

Last edited:
That's great! Makes a little more sense than the old chart. Surprised they recommend 20w50 now. I just bought a zero turn with an FX481V engine 15.5hp. Dealer didn't even have 10w40 even though that's what the old oil chart suggested. I'll stick with the 15w40 delo.

Originally Posted By: motor_oil_madman
Is this for OPE?

It certainly is.

That's great! Makes a little more sense than the old chart. Surprised they recommend 20w50 now. I just bought a zero turn with an FX481V engine 15.5hp. Dealer didn't even have 10w40 even though that's what the old oil chart suggested. I'll stick with the 15w40 delo.

You can't go wrong with Delo in that engine.

Originally Posted By: Buzzsaw
Is this for OPE?

It certainly is.

I didn't see anything on the website, but did hear a rumor a while back that they sent out a TSB to all dealers saying to start using 10w40 instead of the normal 10w30 they always carry. Glad it was true.

I wonder why they changed the recommendations? 20w50 would work great in my climate, but I don't see too much of that weight. It rarely gets to 32 degrees and if it does I'm not going out mowing anyways.

Is this for OPE?

It certainly is.

I didn't see anything on the website, but did hear a rumor a while back that they sent out a TSB to all dealers saying to start using 10w40 instead of the normal 10w30 they always carry. Glad it was true.

I heard that same rumor too. When I purchased my Scag this summer my dealer who is known for shooting straight, told me that they prefer a 10w30 HDEO for Kohlers and a 15w40 for Kawais.

Doesn't specify which engines. guess i'll start using it in my smaller 6hp FJ180v. I've always used amsoil 10w30/30 weight small engine oil in it and I could make it 50hrs before I had to add oil. After that I had to add some about every 5hrs up until the 100 hour oci. But between that and the 15 micron amsoil filter I was spending like $25 on an oil change. lol I've decided that's just plain stupid and that's why I decided to go with the delo cause it's awesome oil and cheap.

Is this for OPE?

It certainly is.

I heard that same rumor too. When I purchased my Scag this summer my dealer who is known for shooting straight, told me that they prefer a 10w30 HDEO for Kohlers and a 15w40 for Kawais.

I stay away from the kohlers. I wouldn't take one if you gave it to me for free. It's a shame cause it is an American engine and I do like to buy American products when possible.

Sorry for all the posts probably derailing your thread here. I got a little bit over excited. haha I need a life.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey man it's all good. My neighbor and coworker had to have a new 23 hp Kohler replaced under warranty when it grenaded at approximately 10 hours. I have to say that Kubota and Kohler replaced it no questions asked, so at least both companies stand behind their products.

After seeing 265+ degree oil temps in my Kawasaki powered Snapper mower, I feel vindicated!

Lawn equipment often operates at very high temperatures. Good protection in high temperatures requires adequate viscosity. Good for Kawasaki for recommending adequate oils.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
After seeing 265+ degree oil temps in my Kawasaki powered Snapper mower, I feel vindicated!

Lawn equipment often operates at very high temperatures. Good protection in high temperatures requires adequate viscosity. Good for Kawasaki for recommending adequate oils.

I haven't hit mine with an infrared yet, but I'm curious if the bigger engines run hotter than the small kawasakis on the 21" mowers. I put the the temp gun on my small Kawasaki and it was around 200 degrees or so on the oil filter, although it was only about 75 degrees the day I did that. 265 is pretty hot, what were you doing with it? I thought 250 or so is about as hot as the oil gets in these engines.

They still didn't recognize the benefits of synthetic oil yet. And didn't upgrade to API SN.

Last edited:
Wow. The Kaw in my John Deere zero turn only has 10w30 as the recommendation. Nothing else. Been using Amsoil 4 stroke 10w30/30 in it. Seems to do just fine.

Originally Posted By: TiredTrucker
Wow. The Kaw in my John Deere zero turn only has 10w30 as the recommendation. Nothing else. Been using Amsoil 4 stroke 10w30/30 in it. Seems to do just fine.

Good, probably is doing just fine. Kawasaki didn't drop the 10w30 recommendation. Just lowered its temperature range. And being your using a synthetic 10w30, you probably won't have any issues running it when its above 86 degrees outside.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back