Aluminum in oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a 2009 Tacoma with 4L V6. I just changed oil recently at 40,714 miles. The old oil had 3810 miles on it (10 months). The old oil was Castrol GTX 5W-30 high mileage semi-synthetic. I have my oil analyzed by the local CAT lab at every oil change. This batch came back fine, except for a caution on 4 ppm aluminum. None of the previous reports ever had more than 1 ppm aluminum. Is the 4 ppm aluminum anything to be concerned about? It is an aluminum engine. What about bearings? Is there aluminum in the bearing material? Do modern bearings use something other than babbitt metal? Note that the dealer has always changed my oil, until recently, and I do not know what the local dealer uses in that engine, other than 5W-30.

The main bearings are layered of different metals aren't they? I don't think it's possible to kill that particular engine.

Last edited:
Take a look at the UOAs I have done so far on my Tacoma with the same engine. The first UOA was done at 1000 miles, and I had 11 ppm of Aluminum, which they flagged (this was factory fill, so high metals were expected).

The following UOAs were 5, and 3 ppm respectively, and were not flagged. Blackstone says Universal average for this engine regarding aluminum is 3 ppm. I hardly think 4ppm is a problem. Just monitor it and see what it does at the next UOA.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Miller88
I had chunks of aluminum come out of the Jeep last oil change. That's probably bad.

Not if the UOA looks good!
36.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back