Mobile 1 mixed with Mobil 1 Racing?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've read posts on here about people mixing Mobil 1 15w 50 with Mobil 1 Racing 0w 50, seemed like a reasonable thing to do. I asked Mobile 1 about this, and they said:

'Thank you for your inquiry. We do not recommend mixing due to viscosity break down. Especially the racing oil, which is not for street use.'

I am not quite sure how mixing oils can cause a 'viscosity break' down?

With an equal mix of the 2 oils, you would have a 7.5w50 oil. The racing oil probably does not have all the cleaning and dispersant agents that the other oil has. Most race oils are not meant to go for 5-10k miles in a street engine. Because of that I bet Mobil does not want you to use it in a street driven car for a long period.

I do not personally know it will cause damage. However Mobil does not want you to use it for that purpose and then have trouble.

I do mix some race type oils in my Harley from time to time. Only a quart out of 4 quarts and have never had any problems. I change the oil every 5k miles. Have never had any damage done I know of.

Anyhow, try to find a VOA of a race oil of the type you are considering and look at its cleaning agents, moly levels, etc. Should give you insight into your question

A Mobil 1 rep at a NASCAR event stated emphatically that one should never, never, never use Mobil 1 racing oil in a street car. Never mix it with any street oil expecting it to be okay for street use. Never, ever. No matter what, don't do it. Don't think it. Don't even consider it. Just don't.

I would take that as a, NO.

Depends on the application. I've been using Mobil 1 Racing 0W30 for at least five years for all of my small engine operations. For hot air cooled generators, mowers, and the like, it works beautifully. Both mixed and full strength. I bought a ton of it for $2/ qt at Advance Auto Parts clearance of it.

No cat, no problem mon (as the Jamaicans say).

My Z/28 is street legal, but it is a track car.

I drive it 99% on the track, but it still has factory cats.

Hence the desire to mix. Most of the time an oil isn't recommended for street use, its either b/c of the phosphorus being hard on cats, or the oil is meant to be changed frequently. Which I do on this car, about once a month, or every 500 miles.

I just don't understand how mixing viscosities itself can cause viscosity breakdown. Its my understanding that either heat, or mechanical shearing causes breakdown. Not just mixing of oils.

I suppose I should just stick with the Mobil 1 15w 50 and not worry about trying to get the benefits of a racing blend.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: toneydoc
With an equal mix of the 2 oils, you would have a 7.5w50 oil.

You'd have a 5w-50 or 10w-50. There is no 7.5W designation.

Originally Posted By: Z28LS7
I just don't understand how mixing viscosities itself can cause viscosity breakdown. Its my understanding that either heat, or mechanical shearing causes breakdown. Not just mixing of oils.

What they probably meant was that M1 0w-50 is very shear unstable. So if you mix it with M1 15w-50, you are going to make the M1 15w-50 less shear stable than it would have been on its own.

Sweet!

What type of "track" duty does it see during that 99% of its usage?

I took this M1 0W30 Racing VOA

Blackstone-E41615.jpg

From this thread

This stuff is loaded with AW additives, a TBN of almost 10 and has bocu Ca and B. Can someone tell me why you would not use this to boost an oil for more spirited or HD driving? I dont know about 0W50 Racing, but for 0W30 Racing, I would dose it out and use without fear of damaging my engine. I would imagine base oils are similar

The Mobil 1 Racing 0W50 is not something that I would grace my stash with.

According to their PDS, it has an HTHS of 3.8, which is achievable with any 0W40/5W40, and means that they have made a thin operational viscosity with an xWy grade that builds confidence.

High VI at the expense of HTHS (protection).

Quattro Pete is IMO correct on their reasoning.

Plus with such different amounts, and intents in the VI/VII of the two oils, I'd say that the predictability of the blend outcome would be questionable to say the least.

Originally Posted By: splinter

Sweet!

I do about 5 or 6 sessions per day. 20 minutes. Its HPDE, open track, not racing, but I run the car at 10/10ths. And I live in Arizona where its often over 100 degrees.

Originally Posted By: Quattro Pete

What they probably meant was that M1 0w-50 is very shear unstable. So if you mix it with M1 15w-50, you are going to make the M1 15w-50 less shear stable than it would have been on its own.

Now that makes since. But if the racing oil is fine for what I do, then the blend should be as well. I just want to be using the best oil, or mix of oils, for my situation.

Originally Posted By: Shannow
I'd say that the predictability of the blend outcome would be questionable to say the least.

Ok, so with my application. Track day car, run at 10/10ths in the Arizona heat, which oil would you use?

Penrite Racing 10W40...
It's got an HTHS of 4.4, way higher then the M1 racing 0W50, and they have shown to be near bullet proof.

But of the two that you list, the M1 15W50 would be my preference.

Sweet!

I do about 5 or 6 sessions per day. 20 minutes. Its HPDE, open track, not racing, but I run the car at 10/10ths. And I live in Arizona where its often over 100 degrees.

Is this a 5th gen Z28, or an LS7 swapped into a 4th gen??

What other mods (especially suspension) have you made?

IF you were considering the bother of getting, and warranty voiding (if yours is in fact a 'new', 5th gen Z28) of M1 Racing Oil, I would just go to one of the Red Line 'street' oils.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Shannow
Penrite Racing 10W40...
It's got an HTHS of 4.4, way higher then the M1 racing 0W50, and they have shown to be near bullet proof.

GOOD LUCK in getting almost ANY of the excellent Penrite products here in the states.
frown.gif
mad.gif

Intermittently available at Summit Racing but none on offer at present. Just looked. We should probably call and show interest.

There was a guy on here several years ago, that posted many great UOA's in his Corvette, and perhaps a Porsche or Ferrari using a 50/50 mix of M1 0w20 AFE and M1 0w50 Racing.

I'd use this "blend" in any high rod without cats that needed a 30 weight oil.

If I needed a 40 weight (depending how thick), I'd have no problem mixing various amount of M1 20w50 with their 0w50 Racing Oil.

Sweet!

Red Line 10w40.
I can't believe you haven't killed the cats yet. I went through two sets of cats on my '02 LS1 Camaro before gutting them into being resonators. Relieving some backpressure may help the engine run marginally cooler.
You can work wonders on an LS7 with a Lingenfelter cam. Just sayin'.

Originally Posted By: A_Harman
Red Line 10w40.

I'll pay that call too...Redline for me is $20/qt, and a week in the mail...Penrite 10W40 racing is a 5 minute walk from my front door and $16/L...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back