Ford F-150 Ecoboost 3.5 Ford OLM spot on !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
2d7t3xx.jpg

F150 3.5 2014 Pennzoil platinum 5w30 with Motorcraft filter FL500S

Sorry for the report in french but Im sure you can figure out the numbers

I had 8% left on the OLM so next time it will go to zero

That was my second oil change on this vehicule so its pretty impressive.

The result is from a 60% highway 40 city. 50% of the highway I was hauling my travel trailer 6000 pounds through some hilly terrain

How are you concluding it is spot on? Looks conservative to me and could have gone longer than the OLM was stating (based on the TBN which was very strong at 5.5).

I realised that I could have use it longer now that I have the report, but for me if I stick with the OLM I have no reason to worry about neglecting the maintenance.

15000 km is only 3 times :) what it was before on my vehicule . The oil went in the engine in March 2015....so maybe yes Ford is conservative but their algorythm are pretty good and keeps a margin for the just in case event.

IM getting old and use to work with different spec. so this was for me a nice surprise. ;-)

Originally Posted By: Nate1979
How are you concluding it is spot on? Looks conservative to me and could have gone longer than the OLM was stating (based on the TBN which was very strong at 5.5).

Originally Posted By: Baveux

I realised that I could have use it longer now that I have the report, but for me if I stick with the OLM I have no reason to worry about neglecting the maintenance.

15000 km is only 3 times :) what it was before on my vehicule . The oil went in the engine in March 2015....so maybe yes Ford is conservative but their algorythm are pretty good and keeps a margin for the just in case event.

IM getting old and use to work with different spec. so this was for me a nice surprise. ;-)

Originally Posted By: Nate1979

Considering this was a step up to synthetic I believe this accounts for the conservative OCI and there is plenty of life left. I agree if you follow the iOLM you are not neglecting your engine.

I ran 5k on my first oil change with Castrol Edge 5w-30 as a precaution since it had been changed every ~5k previously as per the service records (on Valvoline bulk 5w-30, which does meet the Ford spec). But I'm using the OLM with this current run and GC which has long life certifications from multiple manufacturers. It should easily go the 9-10k mile OCI.

It's time to start retiring the foil hats, this engine is doing just fine.

Originally Posted By: BikeWhisperer
I ran 5k on my first oil change with Castrol Edge 5w-30 as a precaution since it had been changed every ~5k previously as per the service records (on Valvoline bulk 5w-30, which does meet the Ford spec). But I'm using the OLM with this current run and GC which has long life certifications from multiple manufacturers. It should easily go the 9-10k mile OCI.

It's time to start retiring the foil hats, this engine is doing just fine.

Valvoline 5W30 does indeed meet Ford's spec.

Did you supply them a baseline sample for the oil you are using?

I noticed that your Boron is also depleted. I believe the oil analysis company I have been sending samples to flags an element if it is under 50% of new.
Your Boron is at 9.9%, according to my baseline it should be at 224 for new oil.

Your Calcium is almost 2X what my new oil baseline was for PP 5W-30, seems like a fair difference, & possible residual from last oil change if a different brand of oil.

Your Magnesium is also depleted at 10%, according to my baseline it should be around 630 for new oil.

They also didn't supply a kinemtic viscosity @ 40 degrees C.

these 3 elements are all part of the lubrication additive package, & I would be replacing oil before the additive package is depleted.

I guess this sample is from 2015, possibly was a different formulation. The new PP 5W-30 is a Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by cdlamb
Did you supply them a baseline sample for the oil you are using?

I noticed that your Boron is also depleted. I believe the oil analysis company I have been sending samples to flags an element if it is under 50% of new.
Your Boron is at 9.9%, according to my baseline it should be at 224 for new oil.

Your Calcium is almost 2X what my new oil baseline was for PP 5W-30, seems like a fair difference, & possible residual from last oil change if a different brand of oil.

Your Magnesium is also depleted at 10%, according to my baseline it should be around 630 for new oil.

They also didn't supply a kinemtic viscosity @ 40 degrees C.

these 3 elements are all part of the lubrication additive package, & I would be replacing oil before the additive package is depleted.

I guess this sample is from 2015, possibly was a different formulation. The new PP 5W-30 is a Dexos 1 Gen 2 oil.

The additive package was far from depleted there was plenty of life left.

The Ford IOLM was dead accurate when I ran it down to 5% and tested. Not a lot left—-accurate.

I take it down to 20% now. About 7k -8k for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back