Vehicle-to-vehicle signalling w/ lights...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad
The "European" rear fog light is specifically prohibited in most North American jurisdictions.

Do you have any sources to back up that claim? European imports usually come with one or two rear fog lights, and if they were not DOT compliant, they would be disabled just like European parking lights are disabled.

The European style parking lights are often not disabled in the US on German cars. I know at least Minis and some BMWs have them functional as-delivered.

Originally Posted By: rslifkin
The European style parking lights are often not disabled in the US on German cars. I know at least Minis and some BMWs have them functional as-delivered.

Wouldn't that indicate these parking lights have been DOT -approved? Maybe they are now legal. I have not yet seen anyone use them, though,

Originally Posted By: BRZED
Originally Posted By: rslifkin

Wouldn't that indicate these parking lights have been DOT -approved? Maybe they are now legal. I have not yet seen anyone use them, though,

I think you guys are referring to the European spec single side parking lamps. When you use them you turn the car off and usually turn the turn signal stalk to either the left or right. Depending on which side you select it lights up BOTH the front and rear parking lamps on ONLY ONE SIDE of the vehicle. Usually for parking on narrow side streets that were never designed for vehicles back in the days of horse and carriage times. The side of the vehicle lighted is the side that protrudes out into the street.

I think Mercedes uses the lighting knob to select left or right parking lamp side. Most others use the turn signal stalk. Usually the front parking lamp is integrated into the main headlamp assembly and is white in color and a bulb of 7w or less, the rear parking lamp is usually borrowed from the tail lamp which incorporates a reflector lens.

I'm actually not sure they have to be DOT approved to be on there, considering you can't use them while the car is running, let alone being driven. And they still have the option for US style both-sides parking lights.

Miller88 said:
I have only seen rear fog lights on German cars. I always said to myself how something must be shorted on it. Then I found out it's intentional!

Olds Aurora had them. Lots of people left them on all the time. My Audi a4 has them, but they need to be turned on each time. First pull of headlight switch is front fogs, second pull is rear, when lights are turned off switch goes back in.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back