What a difference a heater core flush does!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Car: 2008 Saturn Astra
Engine: 1.8l ecotec (timing belt ugh)
Coolant: Peak Global Lifetime.

Well my thermostat went out late last winter, it was stuck partially open and wouldn't allow the coolant to fully heat up during my drives, this gave me a CEL but I neglected to fix it until this fall.

During that time I also re-flushed my coolant that I flushed last summer because I believe I put in way to much coolant and decided to do it right this time.

I can tell you that the new coolant/thermostat is very hot coming out of the vents, even before the thermostat went out, it was hot but not scolding hot, now I can't hold my back hand to the vent for longer than 5 seconds without it really starting to hurt.
The GM heater core hoses on this car are a PITA. They are "quick disconnect" that have a locking collar you have to slide back to unlock then pry the living [censored] off of. Once off I connected two clear plastic hoses to the pipes and flushed and backlashed a few times with the garden hose with not to much pressure. Then I flushed that water out with distilled water and the good old lungs and filled with pristine radiator flush for a hour to let sulk and maybe remove more. Then i flushed and backlashed more until I knew all that flush was out and then refreshed with distilled water so it would only have distilled in the system. Not much came out of the heater core only an off orange color which i believe is from the Peak global lifetime.

I hate to say it but Bring on winter! Late last winter sucked and I couldn't even defrost the windshield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back