Did you ever see this tiny 50 CC motobike ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
This tiny 50cc "Super Cub/Passport" is the best selling motorcycle of all time. It has been in continuous production since 1958, more than half a century.

Once or twice a year I saw one cruising at around 25-30 MPH on local streets.

Honda-motorcycles-Tokyo-Show-INLINE1-2.jpg

http://blog.caranddriver.com/days-of-fut...cycle-concepts/

That's a moped, since the engine has less than 150 cc. I think it's limited to 25 mph or so. Probably doesn't need to be registered and requires no license in most places. 14 and older may ride it.

I just sold one a couple of years ago. I found it so slow it was dangerous to drive on any road with a speed limit over 30 mph. Good inside a gated community perhaps but not here.

Originally Posted By: BRZED
That's a moped

It's called a "backbone motorcycle". A moped is a scooter or motorcycle that has bicycle pedals and can be ridden with or without the engine running.

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
Originally Posted By: BRZED
That's a moped

It's called a "backbone motorcycle". A moped is a scooter or motorcycle that has bicycle pedals and can be ridden with or without the engine running.

I think it's depends on local regulations.

Example

Originally Posted By: Cardenio327
A moped is a scooter or motorcycle that has bicycle pedals and can be ridden with or without the engine running.

I think that describes a mofa. like this one:

A moped is a step above a mofa. And a scooter could be a moped or a motorcyle depending on engine size.

"You meet the nicest people on a Honda"...and sometimes the slowest. lol

These are slow, but are about as durable as possible. They rated it the greatest motorcycle of all time because of its staying power and durability. They actually ran it on used deep fat oil after draining he engine oil.

That little motorcycle is what the Honda industrial complex is built on top of. Kids would buy them back in the 60's and ride, they would go about 40 mph or so. The Honda 50, 65 and 90 quickly took over and they just kept getting bigger. "You meet the nicest people on a Honda."

The picture of the first Super Cub produced in 1958 shows that it was almost the same as newest one.

Imagine that a virtually unchanged form of transportation that lasted more than half a century. It is sold in more than 160 countries.

Honda-Super-Cub.jpg

Originally Posted By: HTSS_TR
The picture of the first Super Cub produced in 1958 shows that it was almost the same as newest one.

Imagine that a virtually unchanged form of transportation that lasted more than half a century. It is sold in more than 160 countries.

Honda-Super-Cub.jpg

If you do it right the first time all is good. Like some of the aircraft built.

I bought a 1982 Honda Passport seven years ago when gas prices were $4/gal. for around-town use. The U.S. version used a 72cc version of the same horizontal single, and all Passports/Cubs use a 3-speed autoclutch tranny (you have to shift it with a foot shifter, but there's no hand clutch). Acceleration and top speed (45mph eventually, if you used the hyper-dorky Honda accessory windshield, 42mph without the shield) were not its long suits, but reliable economy certainly was. At a steady 35mph over varied terrain, I got 115mpg. I rode it in the "Lake Erie Loop" race in 2009 and finished the 650 miles in about 26 hours--including a nap of about 3hrs. I ran the bike essentially WOT the whole time, and it used less than a 1/2 ounce of oil. An incredible machine, but I sold it for a '77 Vespa P200E---no problems with lack of speed now.

Enough of those dominating urban streets in 3rd world locales, don't need more of them here. Under most state laws, it's not a motorcycle but a motorized bicycle, moped, scooter, or class B motor drive cycle.... depending on the vernacular of whatever state's motor vehicle code.

Due to the tiny 50 cc "engine", in my state it would be a class B motor driven cycle as of July 2015. Before then it was a termed a moped under state law before they changed the wording in the particular code that covers them and adjusted some other factors.

50cc scooters and such are generally a nuisance to the motoring public in our area. Mostly operated by folks who've had their driver license revoked for one reason or other, and kids.

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I owned a Honda CT90 and before that, a Honda C50. Both were similar to the bike in the picture.

1968-Honda-Trail-90-1.jpg

As a kid, my friend had one of these. Incredibly durable machines!

Originally Posted By: Cujet
I owned a Honda CT90 and before that, a Honda C50. Both were similar to the bike in the picture.

1968-Honda-Trail-90-1.jpg

What year is that one, '67 '68?
I bought one new in '69 and put a little over 78k miles on it between H/S and college. Great little bike.

ROD

I had a C50 for about 10 years, it was 8 years old when I got it...paid nothing for it. Rode it to work for 7 years, and as a one car family carted my kids to activities on the back. Only thing that ever went wrong was the clutch, it wouldn't release at idle sometimes...not a problem on the island where I lived. I ended up with a few spare engines and finally fixed the clutch with another in my stock.

Dunno what grade oil, but would've used our bulk oil at the time, BP Visco 2000. If I put the correct amount in (500ml) I couldn't get up my drive in the morning without a scoot - oil drag on the crankshaft, if I filled to the dipstick all was good.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back