Update to wiper blade streaking problem!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Previously, I was having an issue with my wiper blades streaking and smudging on the windshield of my 96 civic. I tried 2 different brands of wiper blades, the most recent being Honda factory parts from the dealer. I scrubbed the windshield with 91% alcohol, steel wool, and some other stuff I don't remember. Still smudging and leaving some streaks. Today I had a thought to try a different brand of washer fluid. I bought the prestone bug wash fluid from Autozone. No more streaks or smudges! Who would've thought... After I pumped the old stuff into a water jug to put in the Corolla, I ran about a quart of clean water through the lines to flush them out.

I have this issue at times as well, but I use both Supertech fluid and blades.
smile.gif

I use dawn and green pad of the sponge on the glass, and the yellow on the blades. Never had a need for anything else.

OK fellas...here is a trick on how to obtain a great summer windshield washing solution.

Step 1 - buy a bottle of dishwasher rinsing aid solution (like Finish)

Step 2 - add 1 ml to 1 L of tap water and add to your reservoir.

Step 3 - enjoy crystal clear windshields with no smears or chatty wipers

I have been using this on 3 of the family cars for over a year with great results and it costs close to nothing compared to the windshield washing solutions you buy in stores.

Originally Posted By: Andy636
OK fellas...here is a trick on how to obtain a great summer windshield washing solution.

Step 1 - buy a bottle of dishwasher rinsing aid solution (like Finish)

Step 2 - add 1 ml to 1 L of tap water and add to your reservoir.

Step 3 - enjoy crystal clear windshields with no smears or chatty wipers

I have been using this on 3 of the family cars for over a year with great results and it costs close to nothing compared to the windshield washing solutions you buy in stores.

I use Prestone de-icer year-round as come fall into winter I want the reservoir filled with winter stuff, not left over summer stuff. Most people do not use a lot of WW fluid in the summer.

Yes cat843, that is why I am against summer blends with 32+ or basically no antifreeze. It seems like an easy thing to do is forget about your WW fluid.

Freeze protection to zero Fahrenheit seems like it should be the norm. Up north you should have the optin of -20, -40, or better. I see alot of -20 and +32 around here. We rarely get under +20, so zero would be great or I can dilute (against the label warnings) -20 with water.

I know rain X can make wipers streak, skip, and/or be noisy.

I wonder if the rain X fluid is part of it.

I've found the rain-x fluid (unless diluted with other washer fluid) definitely causes streaking issues. There's too much wax in it, so the blades start to get wax buildup and start streaking. When that happens, wipe them off and it's usually fine again for a while.

I only use good winter fluid year round. In the past I'd try to use cheaper stuff in the summer, but in the fall I'd have to remove it and flush with winter stuff because we use so little in the summer. As little as I use in the summer, the hassle is not worth it for the minuscule $'s saved.

I use Rain X fluid and have not had many streaking issues. This temps me to switch however. I have tried Prestone with good luck as well.

I've never had the streaking issues with the rain x fluid. I've been using it for years on many different cars without an issue. This civic just seems to not like it for whatever reason. Same fluid is in our Corolla right now with absolutely no streaking. That's what I found so weird. I had previously tried different types of blades, cleaning them and the windshield. Using all kinds of different stuff to clean the windshield. Some improvements, but still smudging and streaking. After switching out the fluid, I don't see any of that.

I use the -35 prestone stuff and it still slushes up on me! Sucks going to clean some frost off the windshield and having it freeze on contact, fortunately the heated washer function on my truck works but it takes a minute or two to get things warm enough.

Like I said, I've used the rain x fluid for years now on many cars without issue. This is the first time I've had any problems. The prestone bug wash works great on the civic. I hoped I didn't jinx it, so I tried the squirters again yesterday. No streaks! Perfect.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Up here, -45 C premium stuff, with extra detergents for summer, is becoming more popular. Husky, Esso, and Petro-Canada all have offerings of it now. I stick to it year round.

We sell a TON of the green Motomaster stuff at CT.

Best stuff I've used is the 'Reflex' -49 stuff...never ices over, even below -20.

I bought some Armour-All -45 stuff just the other day as we had it on for $2.22/jug.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back