2 new tires. Put on front or rear?

Status
Not open for further replies.
2007 Mazda MX2 convert.

Two tires are still good with about 1/2 tread left. I am getting two new ones that are just like the two good ones.

Should I put the new ones on the front or the rear?

Originally Posted By: callbay
2007 Mazda MX2 convert.

Two tires are still good with about 1/2 tread left. I am getting two new ones that are just like the two good ones.

Should I put the new ones on the front or the rear?

Rear, regardless of RWD or FWD.

Originally Posted By: chrisri
New tyres always should be mounted on front axle.

You do not want the tail to break loose becaue of lack of grip in the rear. If the front end loses grip it's easier to correct for than if the rear goes.

Even the Germans, who are exceedingly slow in changing their attitudes, have changed their stance on where the tires with more tread should go:
ADAC and Stiftung Warentest (translated into English)

Originally Posted By: chrisri
New tyres always should be mounted on front axle.

I agree on a fwd car with lots of understeer built in, but on what I assume is MX5 Miata, I guess I would put them on the rear. That car will do what you tell it to, even if its "go spin out into that ditch"...

If the car has a significant difference in wear rates end to end, I'd put the new tires on the faster wearing end, assuming the others are still in reasonable shape.

35.gif

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tiretech/techpage.jsp?techid=236

"When Buying a Pair of Tires

It's best to replace all of a vehicle's tires at the same time. Having the same tread design and tread depth promotes balanced traction and handling.

However if only a pair of tires is replaced, the two new tires are to be installed on the rear axle with the partially worn tires on the front. This is done to reduce the likelihood of drivers losing vehicle control when tires hydroplane on wet roads."

If it rains a lot where you live, put them on the rear.

If you live in a climate where it almost never rains (like my climate) then put them on the front.

What is a mx2 convertible?

New on rear. **

Most People don't deal with tail happy - unless its a doggy
smile.gif

** unless you are fitting snows and will be doing NO highway driving in the Winter.

Sorry, It's an MX5.

Originally Posted By: ARCOgraphite
What is a mx2 convertible?

New on rear. **

Most People don't deal with tail happy - unless its a doggy
smile.gif

** unless you are fitting snows and will be doing NO highway driving in the Winter.

If you have a shop install them, you will get them on the rear whether you want them there or not.
I got into it with Sams Club once. Had front tires with 7.5K on them and the backs were toast. Wanted the fronts rotated to the back (obviously for wear purposes) and the new on the front.
They initially refused to do it. However, after a discussion with the manager and the signing of a waiver, they did it.
Under general circumstances, I agree. Better traction with the new in the rear.

For a FWD put them on the rear to control hydroplaning....if you drive in winter conditions then go on the front so you can steer,brake and have traction

Originally Posted By: Tdbo
If you have a shop install them, you will get them on the rear whether you want them there or not.
I got into it with Sams Club once. Had front tires with 7.5K on them and the backs were toast. Wanted the fronts rotated to the back (obviously for wear purposes) and the new on the front.
They initially refused to do it. However, after a discussion with the manager and the signing of a waiver, they did it.
Under general circumstances, I agree. Better traction with the new in the rear.

The standard answer is the rear, always. However I just had a new pair put on and the local Goodyear store didn't say anything when I had them put on the front. To be fair though, the rears had about 9/32's and new the fronts were 11/32 so I think with that much tread, it doesn't really matter that much. With a set of half worn tires, I'd put the new ones on the rear.

New always in rear because you have steering control infront by you. The back are by themselves to avoid loosing control from back, they go on back.

If you dont get rain (lets say in Los Angeles) I wouldnt mind putting them in front if old ones are not that great (steering,breaking,ect) but have decent thread left.

Last edited:
On a fwd car the fronts do most of everything. The rear just follow along. With good tires on front there is still some under steer built in if any loss of traction occurs you are going straight so having good tires in the back will only follow the fronts straight off the road in that situation. Unless you think stopping and turning are unneeded capabilities to have the new ones should always go on the front where they do all of the steering and most of the stopping.

Anyone that's driven a fwd car in the snow and tried to do a donut knows this. the rear end never comes around.

RWD is similar the front does all of the steering and most of the stopping but you can use throttle to help rotate the car. It could go either way though depending on driver.

With all of the responses none ever explain the physics of why to put them on the back? ...just because some source says so.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back