Jump Starter Suggestions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone used the newer, small jump starter battery packs? Are there brands that are better than others? What would be a good size taking into account power and price (value)? Looking to get one for one of our church workers whose kids seem to leave lights on while she is working on our buildings. http://www.amazon.com/GOOLOO-JumPack-Com...uct_top?ie=UTF8 Saw this one on Woot/Amazon on a very special price.

Thanks.

A jump starter is not the correct "fix"

you plan on her opening her hood to jump start the car everytime she wants to drive it?

It Sounds like she needs one of these for those dumb kids...
il_570xN.245458542.jpg

Little lesson in "applied psychology"

Last edited:
I'm a bit weary of these cheap leftover ones from no-name brands. I say cheap leftover since many of the affordable $40-$50 ones are often parts or parted together from name brands that have failed QA for some reason. I don't think you really want anything that failed QA to start your car. Realistically though all it means is that the battery may not last long which is the strength of these LiOn jumpers.

My real world experience is that they still need to be kept fully charged for real world best results, but that is true for ANY jump battery starter. My friend had one to jump his car that he couldn't afford yet to properly fix. He needed to keep it charged prefereably overnight everyday otherwise he'd have to call me to help him jump.

I'm interested in buying one and will be keeping an eye during these holidays for DieHard/Black and Decker or any of the old big boys with good warranties to have one on sale. I'd love for the tool manufactures (Snap-On/Milwaukee/DeWalt) to realease one, it's just robust LiOn cells for them to attach in series.

Last edited:
What matters in one of those jumpstart packs is:

1) The size of the battery actually used inside, and whether it has bolt-on (preferred) or spade (almost worthless) connections.
2) The size of the wiring, wire connections, and any switches.

Believe it or not, the no-name Harbor Freight model I got a few years back has been one of the better ones I've seen. Bolt-terminal AGM battery, big wires. In a big heavy package.

Hit up the junkyards for any reasonable sized used full size lead acid battery with a handle. Get some cheap 10 ga cables from HF and cut them down to about 5 feet long, and attach them with those universal top post clamps. This will still work better than any cute box with a tiny battery inside.

Store the thing inside where its warm and it'll have twice the cranking power.

I would get the battery and charging system checked. Then maybe a Priority Start module. It disconnects the battery when engine is off but a load is draining the battery. Turn on headlights to reconnect. Under $100.

If getting a jump pack, heaviest is best. Keep it charged and inside (warm).

You are thinking about the old-style jump start boxes, either SLA or wet cell.

The original poster is talking about the recently introduced lithium devices, generally built around pouch cells. These use batteries that can put out amazing current for a brief period. Some exceed 120C, meaning that they can discharge at a rate that would drain them completely in 30 seconds. And they have a low self-discharge, retaining a usable charge for a few years.

Originally Posted By: djb
You are thinking about the old-style jump start boxes, either SLA or wet cell.

The original poster is talking about the recently introduced lithium devices, generally built around pouch cells. These use batteries that can put out amazing current for a brief period. Some exceed 120C, meaning that they can discharge at a rate that would drain them completely in 30 seconds. And they have a low self-discharge, retaining a usable charge for a few years.

How does lithium do in winter cold weather?

I have one of the PowerAll micro jump starters and it has 15 jumps from it so far (9 jumps from a co-workers using it one week until he finally got a battery... then be bought one later, the NOCO one). Others jumps to assist motorist I seen needing a jump.
I bought two, gave one to my son and he has used it once to jump start his friend.

I didn't know then, but if I was to buy one now I would look at the NOCO. Seems to be a better unit.
No matter, I still keep/carry jumper cables and a cell phone.

I keep the jump starter in a small pelican case to make something easy to carry in the motorcycle saddle bag when I ride it. Just have to remember to put it back in the SUV afterward.

Vehicle... I'll hook it up and let it sit hooked-up a half minute or so before trying a crank. I dunno, but figure it helps bring up the battery voltage its hooked up to.
Came with various other connectors that I haven't tried yet. Charging, comes with automotive style 12v plug-in (haven't used it) and house wall wart charger (which I use). Top-off charge after use, if not used then I still plug it into the charger a couple hours (needed or not) about every 3 months.

I don't know how the little thing works but has worked for me so far. One of the vehicles was a V8 Toyota SUV that a gal was waiting for her son to arrive with jumper cables. I got her started one try before her son arrived. All others 6's & 4's.

Told the coworker with the NOCO to try it when the opportunity comes up as ya never know if/when ya get a bad one. Still waiting to hear when he has tested his.

I think here at BITOG some time ago someone posted about the NOCO jump starter.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Hit up the junkyards for any reasonable sized used full size lead acid battery with a handle. Get some cheap 10 ga cables from HF and cut them down to about 5 feet long, and attach them with those universal top post clamps. This will still work better than any cute box with a tiny battery inside.

Exactly.

Especially these tiny Li-ion things that can be charged with a USB port - theyre an abuse event and fire just waiting to happen...

I don't know how those little packs work as well as they do. Finally got a chance to try mine out yesterday (left my dash cam and USB charger plugged in for 4 days). Cranked it up like a big boy batt pack. To be fair my starter doesn't pull more than 130 amps cold.

Originally Posted By: JHZR2
theyre an abuse event and fire just waiting to happen...

Agree. These LiPo jump starters make me cringe.

Originally Posted By: eljefino

Exactly.

Especially these tiny Li-ion things that can be charged with a USB port - theyre an abuse event and fire just waiting to happen...

Absolutely true. My experience with RC planes and cars taught me about small ultra high output batteries. LiPo batteries make amazing fires, just see You tube for the proof.

Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
These LiPo jump starters make me cringe.

That's why I use these with SLA batteries:

Ignorance compounded by prejudice.. Join the 21st century. What do you think is in your camera, your cell phone, and BILLIONS of other devices?

They work and they are safe.

Read the reviews.

Originally Posted By: user52165

Ignorance compounded by prejudice.. Join the 21st century. What do you think is in your camera, your cell phone, and BILLIONS of other devices?

They work and they are safe.

Read the reviews.

Do the guys who drive tow trucks and the "HIGHWAY HELP" trucks have ones with SLA or LiIon batteries?

Originally Posted By: user52165
What do you think is in your camera, your cell phone, and BILLIONS of other devices?

You're trying to compare these devices to a jump starter? Seriously?

Originally Posted By: cat843
Do the guys who drive tow trucks and the "HIGHWAY HELP" trucks have ones with SLA or LiIon batteries?

SLA (actually, the same 660 SIXSPEED posted above), but quick-connect jumper cables are used primarily.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back