Best Oil For Turbo engines

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Gents:
I am new to this site and having looked around really feel like this is THE place to get answers for engine oil questions. OK. Here goes.

I have a 2014 Cadillac CTS V Sport twin turbo. It is a 3.6 liter DOHC w DI. Cadillac recommends DEXOS blend. I hear I should go full sync? I have 4K miles on her, and need some sage advice on which oil to use. Thanks!

Turbos get very hot. AFAIK the most thermally stable oil out ther is Redline which also has plenty of AW adds to keep your engine happy.

Also, remember to "spool, then cool"

Last edited:
Red Line carries neither the Dexos nor API ratings that your owner's manual likely references.

We could use some more information though. Please read this.

Originally Posted By: Bandito440
Red Line carries neither the Dexos nor API ratings that your owner's manual likely references.

It exceeds those ratings by a factor of ten.
On the other hand there are cheap n nasty, low quality oils out there that do carry the specification, because the blender paid to have the spec printed onto the bottle.

for shear stability, oxidative stability, film strength and a strong add pack, Redline is the way to go. Others may suffice, but none will lubricate or protect from wear as well as Redline.

Pennzoil Ultra. It meets all the specs your engine requires. Order 2x 5 qt jugs from Walmart and get it shipped to your door free.
Right now they are out of stock but sign up for email notification and they will send you an email when its in stock usually a couple of months, then stock up.

This is GTL base stock, a true synthetic although it is classified as a group III for other reasons.

http://www.pennzoil.com/motor-oil/pennzoil-ultra-platinum-full-synthetic-motor-oil/#Specifications

PS, PM Gena from Pennzoil, you may be able to do the UOA study they are doing.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Olas

On the other hand there are cheap n nasty, low quality oils out there that do carry the specification, because the blender paid to have the spec printed onto the bottle.

for shear stability, oxidative stability, film strength and a strong add pack, Redline is the way to go. Others may suffice, but none will lubricate or protect from wear as well as Redline.

Man the lifeboats its gone over the boots. Come on now, Redline may be good but its certainly not 10x better. I would put PU or Mobil 1 0w40 up to it any day.
No one can just pay to print the dexos spec on the bottle it has to prove it meets the spec and a decent spec it is.

Actually, those sorts of claims deserve the same sort of evidence...factual stuff to support them...

36.gif
36.gif
36.gif

I've heard it all too many times.

Those "cheap n nasty" oils, if they carry real specs on the bottles, that means they have passed INDEPENDENT TESTS.

I invite you to PROVE your statements.

For the OP: afaik, the latest Porsche A40 tests include a "hot autobahn shutdown" test for turbos.
This was discussed here

Last edited:
Mobil 1 5w30, available at WM in the 5 qt. jug at a great price, is a great oil for your Caddy....so is PP, and Castrol Edge which are currently on 'Rollback' at WM (priced even lower).

+1
It seems some people can't swallow the fact that manufacturer's recomendations don't aim to propose to the customers the best products, just the ones (in this case engine oil) which complete the most basic and minimal engine's requirements, necessary for it to survive a minimum of miles/use (assuring manufacturers it won't blow until the warranty expires) paying the minimal cost of mainainance, when other higher level/prise lubricants would be able to provide a much longer and healthier engine life at higher prise. It all depends on how much one cares about his/her car and for how long one wants to keep his/her car in top condition ( for some people using "the recomended products" and oil change intervals top condition may last 5-6 years at most). A top-end lubricant as Red Line although not caring manufacturer's recomendations surely would provide better protection to a high output turbo engine than a cheep approved oil, which would cover mainly the most basic minimum of engine requirements and most conservative driving styles.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: userfriendly
Is "Dexos" a blend, a specification or both?

Dexos is a licenses that manufacturers can obtain to put on there products. In order to obtain it, the product need to pass specs. The specs. are rather high that minimally, it needs to be a blend. No conventional oils have passed the specs. yet as we know of. So if dexos, your choice is either a synthetic blend or full synthetic.

No need for Red Line, Royal Purple or Amsoil. All great but not necessary. Many Dexos certified, top line oils out there...

Pennzoil Plat/Ultra
Castrol Edge
Valvoline Synpower
Mobil1
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
etc

Thankyou NH73; Is something wrong with Dexos syn-blend? From the posts we are reading it is a second rate engine oil.
From what you posted perhaps it doesn't matter much, synthetic, blend or what have you as long as it passes the specs. I must be daft then, I can't figure out what the discussion is about.
Dear Gents; I just bought a very expensive automobile that has a lot of power. It has a warranty and comes with free oil changes at the dealership. They want to use a Dexos approved engine oil which is a synthetic blend. What should I do? signed; confused Olas in jolly old...
Edit; Where is Montgomery when you need him?

Last edited:
They do not require it to be a blend only, they require the oil to meet dexos 1. Only a synthetic blend and synthetics can currently meet that spec.
Think of it this way.. A synthetic blend is the minimum, it will get the engine and turbo through warranty, a full synthetic is better for the turbo's in the long run and using one that meets dexos 1 will not void your warranty.

This engine is sold in Europe and specs 0w-40 or 5W-40 full synthetic. In NA i would say a 5w30 synthetic is best for engine and turbo longevity long after the warranty is gone.

Citation please. Specifically, show Dexos specifications, and then Red Line levels that are ten times that.

Also, my point was that GM requires Dexos for warranty purposes. Why not use a Dexos oil to alleviate warranty concerns? Red Line is great stuff, but I wouldn't be using it in a new vehicle that requires something else in the owner's manual.

Pennzoil Ultra 5w-30 has the Dexos certification. That would be my choice, at half the cost of Red Line.

Originally Posted By: AUSA
Hi Gents:
I am new to this site and having looked around really feel like this is THE place to get answers for engine oil questions. OK. Here goes.

I have a 2014 Cadillac CTS V Sport twin turbo. It is a 3.6 liter DOHC w DI. Cadillac recommends DEXOS blend. I hear I should go full sync? I have 4K miles on her, and need some sage advice on which oil to use. Thanks!

Go full synthetic. Mobil 1 5w30 is dexos approved.

Originally Posted By: userfriendly

Dear Gents; I just bought a very expensive automobile that has a lot of power. It has a warranty and comes with free oil changes at the dealership. They want to use a Dexos approved engine oil which is a synthetic blend. What should I do? signed; confused Olas in jolly old...

You should take their free oil and put it in your stash.

NB, I'm not confused.

Originally Posted By: wemay
No need for Red Line, Royal Purple or Amsoil. All great but not necessary. Many Dexos certified, top line oils out there...

Pennzoil Plat/Ultra
Castrol Edge
Valvoline Synpower
Mobil1
Quaker State Ultimate Durability
etc

There's no need for a watch that's waterproof to 100m if you're not going to dive that deep, but you still have one.
There's no need for a car that can exceed the speed limit
There's no need for many things but we do them regardless - more is obviously better;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back