Black Sheep Squadron TV show

Status
Not open for further replies.
In one episode they captured some new Japanese oil and put it in the Corsairs and they ran hot.

The sarge had to put the old oil back in.

Y'all think that's bull or true?

I saw that episode. The Japanese oil was too thin and the guys flying their Corsairs had to return to base because their oil pressure was too low.

Originally Posted By: Merkava_4
I saw that episode. The Japanese oil was too thin and the guys flying their Corsairs had to return to base because their oil pressure was too low.

0w-20 TGMO?

Everyone knows you can't use JASO oils in engines designed with API in mind.
crackmeup2.gif

I saw that episode recently. In the end they said they put the drained Japanese oil in the Jeeps, where it did just fine. So, it may not have been aviation oil at all.

Anyway, that was my take on it.

Thing is, Pappy Boyington was alive and well when the show aired in the 70's, meaning some or most of the stories "should" have had some facts in it. He advised for the show.
I met Pappy in 1981 and he was sitting signing autographs with a Japanese fighter pilot he actually flew against!
crazy2.gif

Cool show... I treasure my signed print from Pappy Boyington... he was at Oshkosh
sitting next to the Japanese pilot Masajiro "Mike" Kawato who shot him down
in WW2... Kawato's book published in 1978 is titled "Bye Bye Black Sheep," to
roast Boyington's own best-seller Baa Baa Black Sheep later made into a TV
series staring the F4U...
30973d1318369402-someone-please-buy-grumman-xf6f-hellcat-so-we-can-talk-about-pappyboyingtonsignedposter.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lubricatosaurus
I met Pappy in 1981 and he was sitting signing autographs with a Japanese fighter pilot he actually flew against![/b]
crazy2.gif

He dipped the guy ink and dragged him across the paper?
grin2.gif

Originally Posted By: BusyLittleShop
Cool show... I treasure my signed print from Pappy Boyington... he was at Oshkosh
sitting next to the Japanese pilot Masajiro "Mike" Kawato who shot him down
in WW2... Kawato's book published in 1978 is titled "Bye Bye Black Sheep," to
roast Boyington's own best-seller Baa Baa Black Sheep later made into a TV
series staring the F4U...
30973d1318369402-someone-please-buy-grumman-xf6f-hellcat-so-we-can-talk-about-pappyboyingtonsignedposter.jpg

Very cool picture!!! Thanks for sharing.

My old man was a 1LT in the Marines when he and some of his company intervened in a bar fight on a small Pacific island. Pappy, it turned out, was in the middle of it.

Originally Posted By: Cujet

Very cool picture!!! Thanks for sharing.

You're welcome... someday I post my meeting and memorabilia with Saburo Sakai the leading Japanese ace of WW2...

While Tom Blackburn and VF-17 racked up a similar score to Pappy Boyington and VMF-214, it should be noted that Blackburn's squadron had nine months of training together, new planes, and first line pilots.

Boyington had recycled pilots (may had started fighter training, but were either washed out or had disciplinary problems) war weary planes, and two weeks...

Blackburn's story...
http://www.amazon.com/Jolly-Rogers-Black...s=blackburn+war

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back