How does time come into play on am OCI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: AKA
Agreed with Bubba.

Another thing to remember would be the lower unit gear oil...that should be changed out every year before storage.

I have a bunch of 20000 mile tough guards that say different.

Oil can't tell time. It doesn't wear out with age. Combustion by-products and moisture are the problems. Not time.

Originally Posted By: Tuffy1760
The website is Bob is the oil guy, not put stuff off till another day guy... goto couponbug to save money... get outside and change that oil!!

Ok, let me ask this another way. What if....I had only started the boat once this year, ran it for 2 hours and then parked it. Should I then change the ouil too?

Originally Posted By: Clevy
Agreed with Bubba.

Another thing to remember would be the lower unit gear oil...that should be changed out every year before storage.

I have a bunch of 20000 mile tough guards that say different.

Oil can't tell time. It doesn't wear out with age. Combustion by-products and moisture are the problems. Not time.

I was agreeing with the "...change the oil every season" part of Bubba's post
wink.gif

Changing the oil and lower unit gear lube is another reason to get away from your family when they are bugging you... that could be reason #1 to change at least once a year...
My 2cents... I also changed lower unit lube mid summer too.. depending on the use,kept me out of a few grocery shopping trips everyyear!!

Changing the oil and lower unit gear lube is another reason to get away from your family when they are bugging you... that could be reason #1 to change at least once a year...
My 2cents... I also changed lower unit lube mid summer too.. depending on the use,kept me out of a few grocery shopping trips everyyear!!

Exactly! Who doesn't like some garage time
cool.gif

Exactly! Who doesn't like some garage time
cool.gif

I like my garage time but would prefer it be productive. Somehow changing my oil when it is still clean doesn't feel that productive. I'd rather pick up a dead motor and bring it back to life than chnage some oil.

With IO-OB power I always change the lower unit lube every fall. If a seal allows water to get by, you end up with the 'milkshake' and if enough gets in a freeze and cracked case can result (I'm Minnesota too)and I've seen it happen. While I'm doing that the engine oil can also be draining as I like to evaluate it's condition.

Cat man hit it on the head... boat motor die from drowning... not OCI or wrong oil... but... they are fun to work on... check boot around drive for cracks... take prop off check for line on prop shaft...
Winterizing was easy for me... fish on thanksgiving... pull batteries at ramp.. drain water from engine...wipe boat down with a detailing spray... clean wheels and tires.... cover boat... buy beer... park... done... did boat stuff in the spring when it warmed up...

Originally Posted By: bubbatime
The oil filter is the limiting factor. The paper element can deteriorate over time.

It's only $20/year to change the oil, which is small potatoes compared to boat gas and other boat maintenance. Just change it once per season.

This is wrong...I have seen 10 year old filters and the element is still fine....Its not toilet paper in there!!!

Hrs determine my oci's, period. Never time, but I do not have warranty.
I have customers that pay me to pull 5-10hr oil all the time. It's a waste.
Would you change car oil with 800-1000miles because it has 8-12months on it.

Harvey

Originally Posted By: JR

Harvey

People on this web site do...
crazy2.gif

Originally Posted By: JR

Harvey

that was my point too. Funny, according to some posters, I can run car for 10k miles with the oil sitting in the sump for a year but woah be me if I do way less equivalent hours in a boat over the course of a year. For some reason, everyone acts like a boat is so much a worse environment but I don't agree (at least for freshwater). in fact, I would argue, my boat is an easier application. Generally ran in the summer, not in -20 weather and my runs are 30 minutes, not some 5 minute run up to the grocery store.

Philipp10, I totally agree.
My boat is ran up to temp at low speed, then sees 1/2 to 4hrs of varied operation. Every trip out.
Yes my thermostat is a oe spec 140, but it stays at temp for extended intervals. I don't see water and fuel being anymore a problem then a 160stat in a car/truck would cause.
I have a mid-late 80's merc350 I/O.

Harvey

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back