Vehicle-to-vehicle signalling w/ lights...

Status
Not open for further replies.
In the thread about truckers, the topic drifted into the conventions for signalling intent (other than turn signals) that are common courtesy on the roads.

Such as...

- flashing your headlamps while in the left lane upon seeing a vehicle ahead and to the right needing to pass a third vehicle ahead of him means "go ahead and pull in front of me to make your pass, I'm not overtaking you that fast."

- A flash of the headlamps if you're in the left lane and a vehicle is passing you on the left means "you're clear to pull to the right in front of me."

- A flash of the running lights means "thank you"

- A couple of rapid flashes of the high beams while approching a vehicle in the left lane from behind means "please pull right, I need to pass you" (most often ignored these days, may often result in a brake-check from idiots who feel like they own the left lane).

Which also led to the discussion of "mixed messages." that can result. One of those that seems to be getting more and more common, and is driving me bat-poop crazy, is people turning on their hazard flashers in the rain.

OK, I understand that if you're on the freeway running 70 and you encounter a hard rain squall and have to slow, it is beneficial to let people behind you know so that you don't get a chain-reaction pileup. I tend to try to tap my brakes repeatedly while slowing to flash the brake lamps and draw attention, but you can't always do that and so using the flashers *briefly* as you slow may be appropriate... but people have started flipping them on in heavy rain and just driving along for miles that way. HORRIBLY mixed signals! There's no emergency, you're moving at the (reduced) flow of traffic so turn the dang flashers off! Furthermore on many vehicles, the flashers override the brake lamps other than the center high-mount, so your brake signalling capacity is either gone or reduced.

Other examples? Am I dead wrong on that?

In Michigan, it is illegal to flash your high beams within 500 feet of other vehicles. Police can and will pull you over for this.

Originally Posted By: doitmyself
In Michigan, it is illegal to flash your high beams within 500 feet of other vehicles. Police can and will pull you over for this.

Sounds like a law passed only to prevent motorists from warning other motorists of a speed trap. Does anyone do this anymore?

Originally Posted By: dishdude

Sounds like a law passed only to prevent motorists from warning other motorists of a speed trap. Does anyone do this anymore?

Agreed, only passed to prevent fellow motorists of warning each other of speed traps.

I usually only see people flash to warn of cops in rural areas.

People do not typically flash the high beams for no reason although I'm sure politicians would like you to believe this.

Get the waze app, use it religiously and thank me later

Last edited:
Lights off the then on for the clown with the headligts off. In germany they use one for cops two for greetings. I do the same. Im not surprised NY does nothing, its barely leagal to breathe up there.

I will tell you, I just drove to Florida and back. There are a lot of folks who hog the left lane and don't move to the right. Most people either don't know any better or don't care..

Dyusik, They let us breath all we want in New York State, They tax us on that along with everything else...LOL

I can't stand the add on high mount stop light flashers. They strobe the lamp whenever you hit the brake pedal. Pretty sure they aren't legal yet.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
Which also led to the discussion of "mixed messages." that can result. One of those that seems to be getting more and more common, and is driving me bat-poop crazy, is people turning on their hazard flashers in the rain.
... but people have started flipping them on in heavy rain and just driving along for miles that way. HORRIBLY mixed signals! There's no emergency, you're moving at the (reduced) flow of traffic so turn the dang flashers off! Furthermore on many vehicles, the flashers override the brake lamps other than the center high-mount, so your brake signalling capacity is either gone or reduced.

This is something that irks me also. Huge safety issue. If I see hazards, I think it is a disabled vehicle, but then it keeps moving. They are not meant to be used in a moving vehicle.
I wish we had the rear fog light like European vehicles (small red light in the rear that is as bright as a brake light, but usually a single light on lower drivers side). Link on Daniel Stern

Hazards on while driving is just about as dumb as those that tint their tail lights to "look cool" and then wonder why they get rear ended.

Originally Posted By: dishdude

I saw someone do it to me a few weeks ago. Good thing I was only 10KMH over. Yesterday someone passed me on the right and fed the police their money.

Last edited:
I flashed a trooper the other day. Driving home to my parents I was extremely tired of people NOT TURNING THEIR BRIGHTS OFF. Finally after 70 miles of it, I flashed the trooper.

Surprised I didn't get pulled over for that.

Didn't realize it was a trooper before I did.

Last edited:
Tractor-Trailers that pull onto the highway safely but are heavily loaded and accelerating slowly run hazards here; they kill them when they get up to a reasonable highway speed ... approx 80 kmH (50 MPH) in a 110 zone (70 MPH).

The "European" rear fog light is specifically prohibited in most North American jurisdictions.

Hazards during serious braking (>.5 G?) is a European thing that I understand happens automatically. NHTSA doesn't allow it yet. I'd like to see it in my rearview mirror under certain circumstances, at least to let me know the driver's paying attention/ freaking out.

The blinking CHMSL was specifically legalized here recently.
mad.gif
linky, page 5 (executive summary)

Rear fogs are not prohibited in the US, but very few cars have them (they're not required). And I sort of hate the cars that do have them because the average American driver is too stupid to use them properly "ooh, a light, I better turn it on." And then they go around blinding people all night...

I have thought about adding that feature to my Jeep though, it could come in handy in really heavy snow or other poor visibility (the tail lights aren't the brightest ones out there by any means).

Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

The "European" rear fog light is specifically prohibited in most North American jurisdictions.

Show me where.
Not illegal in Texas, never seen any restriction on having them when used appropriately (which is the key word).
I have never looked in depth at it, but in a quick search, I have not seen anything saying a rear fog light is illegal anywhere in the US (not sure about Mexico or Canada).

Originally Posted By: Miller88
I flashed a trooper the other day. Driving home to my parents I was extremely tired of people NOT TURNING THEIR BRIGHTS OFF. Finally after 70 miles of it, I flashed the trooper.

Surprised I didn't get pulled over for that.

Didn't realize it was a trooper before I did.

if you potentially get in trouble for flashing a trooper why not just turn your brights on as well? that way they cant say you "flashed" them

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: blupupher
Originally Posted By: Johnny2Bad

Show me where.
Not illegal in Texas, never seen any restriction on having them when used appropriately (which is the key word).
I have never looked in depth at it, but in a quick search, I have not seen anything saying a rear fog light is illegal anywhere in the US (not sure about Mexico or Canada).

May have used to have been. My 1983 Mercedes w123 has a "hobbled" headlight/ fog combination switch "for US Export" that disables rear fogs, even though the tail light has a spot/ reflector/ pre-wiring for said lights. They specifically engineered this switch for this market at that time.

I see rear fogs here from time to time, but my first thought is always "brake lamp shorted to parking lamp wire on one side."

I don't think rear fogs are particularly useful, except maybe in the rare kinds of extreme fog or snow white-out where those hundred-car pileups happen from time to time. Certainly not useful the way some people use it, as described earlier: "Oooh, a light. Better turn it on." Same goes for factory front foglamps on most vehicles.

Originally Posted By: 440Magnum
- A flash of the headlamps if you're in the left lane and a vehicle is passing you on the left means "you're clear to pull to the right in front of me."

I'm trying to picture what you mean and I'm not able to...?

I'm no fan of using hazards in the rain but I've found myself doing so in torrential downpours surrounded by traffic on 95N twice. Everyone else had them on and no one wanted to stop and get hit, so I just went with the flow.

But yes, they really are not meant for moving vehicles. If your hazards are on, you should be parked on the side of the road.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back