What Grease do you use?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: Ramblejam
My pick is Deere SD Polyurea.

– High-temperature, extreme-pressure grease.
– Ideal in rolling-contact applications.
– –15 to 380 degrees F (–26 to 193 degrees C).
– Used for initial lubrication at the factory in U-joints and axle bearings.
– Factory-fill grease for most AG equipment.
– For excellent protection in corrosive and wet conditions.
– Compatible with most other types of grease.
– Thixotropic (thins to a gear oil when hard at work and thickens when at rest).
– Excellent for all-purpose applications, especially those requiring a severe-duty grease.
Our best multi-purpose grease.

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/featbene/DKD1801OilGuide.pdf

Same here.

I am slow to change in just about everything.
I realized last spring, when crunching numbers and ordering stock for the season, that I am slowly leaning harder on the Deere Polyurea, more than the older stuff, and had to think about it.

On equipment, the stuff is a no brainer.
For some reason, it stays in the U-joints, and bearings, longer and I'm not using as much.
On packed bearings, like lug cart wheels, I get a full season without re-application, where I was getting fried bearings if I didn't re-pack mid season.

Same thing with the bearings on several trailers.

I ended up using it on Truck chasis, and steering components, and it's held up better as well.

I'm down to one grease gun with NGLI#2 from TSC, for use as a smear lube on sprayer booms and other things, where any grease will do.

Normally, I see grease as grease, and just needs to be kept fresh, but the Deere Polyurea has become a standard.

I REALLY appreciate not having to re-grease Sprayer U-joints every 4 hours, and not having to replace PTO shaft U-joints as often.

I use Mobil XHR-222 special on U joints and other high speed bearing's (I help maintnance garbage trucks & roll-off's) and I use Mobilith 1500 on just about everything else that is slow moving high stress. I buy the XHR-222 from amazon and the Mobilth from a distributor in southern California. I'm curious to know if Mobilith 1500 would really burn out a U-joint or just bog it down ?

I use only lithium complex grease for compatibility purposes, as it's served me well in my all my applications over the decades: Farm tractor, 3 pickup trucks, 2 older cars and various other farm implements. A good moly for sliding apps, middle caradan and suspension balls, etc. But, for all else, I use grease without Moly, especially for packing wheel bearings and universals. I use Chevron Delo LC, EP#2 and Mystik JT-6 Hi-Temp EP #2 (doesn't matter which) and right now the Moly I use is Amsoil LC #2, which seems to work just fine. I also use, for Synthetic purposes, regular old Mobil-1.

Mobil 1 Synthetic or Valvoline Synpower - whichever is on the shelf at Wal Mart or if neither (a lot lately), Amsoil Multi-Purpose NLGI#2 synthetic grease which are in both guns right now.

Last edited:
I use Valvoline Durablend. It meets Ford specs as well as all the other manufacturers.

I don't see the benefit of going full synthetic, that why why I use Durablend.

Most other greases meet Ford specs, or they meet the specs of all the other auto makers, but not both. I only have one grease gun and one wheel bearing packer, and buying Durablend is cheaper than having 2 grease guns and 2 wheel bearing packers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back