Redline Fuel System Cleaner - Maitenance Dose ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like to use Redline Fuel System cleaner once a year on my 2002 Honda S2000, about 1/2 bottle per tank (small fuel tank) once a driving season. This is my favourite fuel cleaning product. They also state that you can run smaller more regular maintenance doses. I'm wondering if the upper cylinder lubricant can cause issues in long term regular use, as Redline has an upper cylinder lube as part of the fuel system cleaner ?.

I once ran Lucas upper cylinder lube and I ended up with fuel dilution issues in my oil, and some high soot count in my UOA's. I can't say that the Luca UCL caused the two issues but it happened at the same time. I don't know if there are any side effects of using upper cylinder lube products on each fuel fill.

Should I run Redline fuel system cleaner in smaller regular doses ? or should I be concerned about the upper cylinder lube used long term. If there is some issue with long term regular UCL use then I will just keep the 1/2 bottle once per season treatment routine. Thanks for any replies.

i think you need to define what an "issue" is.

If some of it gets into your fuel, is this really an "issue"?

Redline claims to have some residue make it all the way to your PCV, so obviously, some must make it to your oil.

But, do you consider this an "issue"? Really how precious is your oil, and do you really think the is going to dilute it that much to have an negative outcome?

What is the Ceiling of the the absolute worse case, if you used 1 whole bottle as maintenace, that's at most that's just 1 bottle's worth of dilutution. Chances are it's a small small percentage that goes through. If you poured 1 capful of redline pure into oil, do you really think it's going to make a difference.

Last edited:
I have always had better luck running a full bottle in one tank of gas every 20,000 miles. In my boats I would put 3-4 bottles in each 100 gal tank at one fill once a year. Kept the injectors clean as a whistle.

Last edited:
I just use 4 ounces (in a 16.8 gallon tank) every other fill up when I know I will be doing mostly lower speed, city driving during that tank, and the injectors will be subjected to the SI-1 for a longer duration than a quick flowing, long highway trip scenario.

Originally Posted By: raytseng
i think you need to define what an "issue" is.

If some of it gets into your fuel, is this really an "issue"?

Redline claims to have some residue make it all the way to your PCV, so obviously, some must make it to your oil.

But, do you consider this an "issue"? Really how precious is your oil, and do you really think the is going to dilute it that much to have an negative outcome?

What is the Ceiling of the the absolute worse case, if you used 1 whole bottle as maintenace, that's at most that's just 1 bottle's worth of dilutution. Chances are it's a small small percentage that goes through. If you poured 1 capful of redline pure into oil, do you really think it's going to make a difference.

Thanks for the reply.

I don't worry much about the cleaner residue making it into the oil, just more concerned if my injectors can get fouled by the upper cylinder lube over long term use, and soot being created during the combustion process with it in the fuel stream. When my last fuel injectors created fuel dilution issues I swapped out the injectors and I stopped using an upper cylinder lubricant as a precaution since I wasn't sure what caused the problem at the time.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Doog
I have always had better luck running a full bottle in one tank of gas every 20,000 miles. In my boats I would put 3-4 bottles in each 100 gal tank at one fill once a year. Kept the injectors clean as a whistle.

That has been my routine in recent driving seasons, seems to have worked thus far. Thanks for the reply.

Originally Posted By: dailydriver
I just use 4 ounces (in a 16.8 gallon tank) every other fill up when I know I will be doing mostly lower speed, city driving during that tank, and the injectors will be subjected to the SI-1 for a longer duration than a quick flowing, long highway trip scenario.

Good point about city driving vs. highway driving use, thanks for the information and reply.

Originally Posted By: Mr Nice
I use the entire bottle yearly. No need to use a few ounces monthly.

Thanks for the reply, maybe I will just keep on with my current routine then.

I guess if you don't have toptier locally, you can use the Redline SI-1 or other additive per tank.

Redline SI-1... 1 ounce added to 3-6 gallons of fuel
Lucas Fuel Treament... 1 ounce to 3-6 gallons of fuel
FP60... 1 ounce to 5 gallons fuel
FP+... 1 ounce to 10 gallons fuel
Neutra... 1 ounce to 3 gallons of fuel
SoyUltra...1 ounce to 10-15 gallons of fuel
PRI-G... 1 ounce to 15 gallons
Stabil360... 1 ounce to 10 gallons
MarvelMystery... 1 ounce to 5 gallons

I ran with the maintenance dose for years while I was in sales and it worked well for me. I also wondered if it was going to cause any problems so I did some research and found BMW recommends running the maintenance dose in some (Forgot which ones) of their vehicles. It actually gave me more miles per tank compared to not running it. FYI I'm still running with the original, untouched fuel injectors at 425k miles.

No need to use a full bottle yearly, you can a quarter bottle quarterly.

I can make the exact similar statement and it equally doesnt have any meaning.

Personally on my engine full bottle seems wasteful, I feel same ucl benefits with qtr bottle.

You might not be able to tell with your car at all

Full bottle is wasteful, the product is that good.

I thought maintenance dose was 1oz to one tank of gas.. seems to help.

Put three ounces, every second tank for 10 tanks and you have 5 apps from one bottle. Further divide that into 3 1oz maintenance doses in between the 3oz doses.. can't go wrong.

Originally Posted By: raytseng

I read up at the Redline website after reading this. Is a Polution Control Valve the same as what I think when I read PCV which is a Positive Crankcase Ventilation Valve?

This is the info I got from Dave at Redline about the maintenance dose.

"The maintenance dose for the SI-1 is 1.5 ounces to every 10 gallons of gas."

Originally Posted By: robshelton
I ran with the maintenance dose for years while I was in sales and it worked well for me. I also wondered if it was going to cause any problems so I did some research and found BMW recommends running the maintenance dose in some (Forgot which ones) of their vehicles. It actually gave me more miles per tank compared to not running it. FYI I'm still running with the original, untouched fuel injectors at 425k miles.

That is impressive.

Originally Posted By: Greasymechtech
I guess if you don't have toptier locally, you can use the Redline SI-1 or other additive per tank.

Redline SI-1... 1 ounce added to 3-6 gallons of fuel
Lucas Fuel Treament... 1 ounce to 3-6 gallons of fuel
FP60... 1 ounce to 5 gallons fuel
FP+... 1 ounce to 10 gallons fuel
Neutra... 1 ounce to 3 gallons of fuel
SoyUltra...1 ounce to 10-15 gallons of fuel
PRI-G... 1 ounce to 15 gallons
Stabil360... 1 ounce to 10 gallons
MarvelMystery... 1 ounce to 5 gallons

Renewable Lubricants Bio-Plus at 1 ounce per 15 gallons is another good choice.

--Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back